JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
135gr Nosler 10mm backed by 17.5gr of AA9.

Not that I am a legal genius or anything, but I remember someone who knew things about this said that packing handloads in a personal defense gun is not a good idea. Something about you loaded them with specific malicious intent and were dying to try them out.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Hornady 155g XTP's over a very stout charge of longshot. It's how I keep my friends from wanting to shoot my gun lol

To hell with Ayoob and his spreading of misinformation about reloads for carry

Not that I am a legal genius or anything, but I remember someone who knew things about this said that packing handloads in a personal defense gun is not a good idea. Something about you loaded them with specific malicious intent and were dying to try them out.

I have heard & read the same thing. I don't care! I load my own defense ammo, to be as accurate as I possibly can.

This was already covered earlier in this thread.

It's a book load. I can buy hotter stuff from manufacturers.

After I pull the trigger I can call it anything I want. A good argument can be made for or against just about anything. This whole factory vs. handload topic is way too hypothetical and way too unlikely to worry about. Let's try and stick to reality like Mayan end of the world predictions and zombies. There is far too much fear being sold in our world by the media and our overlords and we are guilty of buying it.

Let's get down to the rat killing.
Make sure you don't shoot someone in the wrong state.
Cause if you do, no matter the situation, your Azz could be grass.
The one place I know for sure is safe to double tap a intruder, and probably not even see court is Nevada. More specific, Reno.

Let's get down to the rat killing.
Make sure you don't shoot someone in the wrong state.
Cause if you do, no matter the situation, your Azz could be grass.
The one place I know for sure is safe to double tap a intruder, and probably not even see court is Nevada. More specific, Reno.

Washington is good too, provided it's unquestionably Self Defense. Holes in the back of a fleeing subject make it hard to make that claim though. In Washington State, anyone found not guilty in Court due to Self Defense gets all his legal expenses paid by the State. That makes Prosecutors give a real close look before they decide to go on any crusades.

Federal HST 230 +P in my Sig P220, Federal HST 147 in my M&P and Hornady Critical Defense in my P-63.

Whatever you do, make sure you carry factory ammo in your daily carry. If you carry handloads I caution you. If you have to ever use it for defense and take someones life, handloads can come back to bite you in the rear. Reason why is that an attorney can spin this to make you out to be a cold blooded killer that wasn't happy with commercial ammo and needed something more deadly and more powerful. It doesn't matter why you had handloads...

This was a bit of information I picked up during a class taught by an attorney and I've kept it in mind ever since. It makes sense too.

Whatever you do, make sure you carry factory ammo in your daily carry. If you carry handloads I caution you. If you have to ever use it for defense and take someones life, handloads can come back to bite you in the rear. Reason why is that an attorney can spin this to make you out to be a cold blooded killer that wasn't happy with commercial ammo and needed something more deadly and more powerful. It doesn't matter why you had handloads...

This was a bit of information I picked up during a class taught by an attorney and I've kept it in mind ever since. It makes sense too.

This attorney was no doubt a fan of Massad Ayoob. Was your "attorney's" name "Brian". If so, his area of expertise is Real Estate, not Criminal Law.

To all that keep repeating this "only factory loads" mantra I ask, "Show us all ONE case where carrying reloads in a SELF DEFENSE case has even been an issue. Hint: The Danial Bias case was not a Self Defense issue and the Harold Fish case was not an issue of reloads.

I can save you a lot of time. There is NO CASE LAW where anyone has been charged, tried, or convicted, for carrying reloaded ammo instead of Factory Ammo.

Do not assume that that person at the front of the Class is always an expert. Unlike a College where they have to prove their credentials, most of these instructors don't. Many claim intelligence far beyond their education.

This was in Oklahoma when I was stationed there. The attorney was the Oklahoma county assistant DA with prior criminal defense. I honestly don't care what others carry and I know my guns will go bang every time I want to send a round out with the factory loads I carry. I do reload FMJ pistol rounds for target and training use though. But hey, we are all allowed to do as we please cause this is for the time being, a "free" country...

But hey, we are all allowed to do as we please cause this is for the time being, a "free" country...

On this we totally agree. I am just against perpetuation of information that has no basis in fact. This "myth" can be traced back to ONE person and even he can't substantiate it with an applicable case.

Thinking that "handloads" will cause problems with a prosecutor are in the same category as "carry only what your local cops carry". So does that mean if they all carry 9mm's I can't carry a .45? Or even a S&W 500 "because they're more lethal than what your local PD considers adequate?".

Not meaning to argue directly with You, but to point out that the argument is merely a perpetuated Myth.

BTW, I've loaded many, many, thousands of handgun rounds, as well as those I carry for self defense. Every single one has gone bang. I use the same brass, same powders, same primers, and even same bullets as the manufacturer that builds a similar defensive round. Difference is that I weigh every powder charge, take the time to hand inspect each and every SD round I make, and the factory merely "spot checks" theirs. I have an even higher confidence level when it comes to my hand loads than I do for factory loads. The choice is with the user and it should only be based on their level of confidence, not some word of mouth fairy tale.

FWIW, handloading SD ammo may well be the only way people will have any SD ammo in coming times :( :(

On this we totally agree. I am just against perpetuation of information that has no basis in fact. This "myth" can be traced back to ONE person and even he can't substantiate it with an applicable case.

Thinking that "handloads" will cause problems with a prosecutor are in the same category as "carry only what your local cops carry". So does that mean if they all carry 9mm's I can't carry a .45? Or even a S&W 500 "because they're more lethal than what your local PD considers adequate?".

Not meaning to argue directly with You, but to point out that the argument is merely a perpetuated Myth.

BTW, I've loaded many, many, thousands of handgun rounds, as well as those I carry for self defense. Every single one has gone bang. I use the same brass, same powders, same primers, and even same bullets as the manufacturer that builds a similar defensive round. Difference is that I weigh every powder charge, take the time to hand inspect each and every SD round I make, and the factory merely "spot checks" theirs. I have an even higher confidence level when it comes to my hand loads than I do for factory loads. The choice is with the user and it should only be based on their level of confidence, not some word of mouth fairy tale.

FWIW, handloading SD ammo may well be the only way people will have any SD ammo in coming times :( :(

I agree, and when it comes down to it, I'd rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6. So if handload are all I've got, or all I can afford, or what's in the gun when I pick it up. I am not going to worry about it when/if the time comes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top