JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
AFAIK, even with carbide dies, case lube is needed for tapered/bottleneck cases. I tried w/o some years ago, maybe 40yrs, and wound up with a stuck case.... no fun!!
I'm not aware of any bottle necked rifle dies that don't require lube.

Straight walked pistol, yeah. Bottle necked rifle? No.

Additionally, if it wasn't already mentioned, a comparator set is important to have IMO. This way you know how far you are from the lands. Going by the OAL listed in the book is fairly safe, but with a comparator set, you'll know exactly where you're at.

They make them with inserts for measuring both bumping the shoulder and measuring to the ogive of the bullet.

And if you still don't have any boolits on order, you might want to get that squared away ASAP.

Just put in an order for factory seconds 500 FMJ HP BT. 55gn so I should be taken care of for now, might grab a couple other weights as well after I buy all the rest of my gear.

Additionally, if it wasn't already mentioned, a comparator set is important to have IMO. This way you know how far you are from the lands. Going by the OAL listed in the book is fairly safe, but with a comparator set, you'll know exactly where you're at.

They make them with inserts for measuring both bumping the shoulder and measuring to the ogive of the bullet.

Never heard of these before, I'll take a look at some. Knowing the shoulder distance is definitely important. Thanks!

Just put in an order for factory seconds 500 FMJ HP BT. 55gn so I should be taken care of for now, might grab a couple other weights as well after I buy all the rest of my gear.

Never heard of these before, I'll take a look at some. Knowing the shoulder distance is definitely important. Thanks!
Hornady makes one of the most common known set-ups for this.

One of these is your friend.
hornandy makes it.

You can measure headspace and bullet placement with it.
016031B0-555F-4027-99EA-ACD605A8D905.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads