JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title states I would like to start loading rifle 5.56 and others as well but starting there.

I already load for multiple pistol calibers and I'm setup well for that. However at first blush it seems there is a whole multitude of extra stuff that goes into loading rifle.

The list as I see it;
Dies
powder thrower
Case trimmer
Primer pocket swagger (I have lots of LC)
Neck brush
Case lube
Chamber gauge.
Chamfer and deburring tool

Anything I'm missing or is this a good list to get started, kinda intimidating to start compared to pistol. Seems to be a whole bunch of case prep and then you finally get to reload

that is a pretty good list . Also needed are good digital scale and a manual scale as well if you don't already have them. Some load trays and some load reference materials are also essential. I also would advise you to obtain components directly as the Covid madness has already started to affect availability. Happy reloading.

that is a pretty good list . Also needed are good digital scale and a manual scale as well if you don't already have them. Some load trays and some load reference materials are also essential. I also would advise you to obtain components directly as the Covid madness has already started to affect availability. Happy reloading.

Thank you for the advice! Indeed I have a good electrical scale...my balance scale however is a POS. So I'll look into a replacement.

This madness is crazy, I checked the classifieds here and there are a few local to me that have components for reasonable prices. It seems all I would need to hunt down are the projectiles but those were still in stock locally yesterday

Also I would add digital calipers to your list for measuring case overall length, etc

I personally tried the swager die, but found it does not work with my Lee Press. I now use a manual primer pocket swager.

Also all of my dies are carbide dies, so I don't have to use case lube or a case lube tray.

Also I would add digital calipers to your list for measuring case overall length, etc

I personally tried the swager die, but found it does not work with my Lee Press. I now use a manual primer pocket swager.

Also all of my dies are carbide dies, so I don't have to use case lube or a case lube tray.

I would be looking at a stand alone swagger/reamer for sure as I run a turret press I'm not certain how the die would even work, Thanks for the heads up.

I currently use a set of mechanical calipers that are very accurate as I have had bad luck with digital ones going bad, it just takes a good bit more time :).

They make carbide sets for bottle neck cartridges :eek:?!?! That would be fantastic to not have to fuss with lube I'll have to look into that some more.

I also find a wet tumbler is a great tool. I started with a large Frankford arsenal model and it was just to big most of the time. The harbor freight dual drum rock tumbler is the one I mostly use now. It fits my needs better as I am usually only tumbling 50 of this and 100 of that. The dual drums allows you to tumble two different type of cases that normally nest together or just keep lots of brass separate. I think between the two drums you can do 180 5.56 cases or so. They can be found for less than $60 on sale.

As far as I know you must lube rifle rounds? Including something like .30 Carbine. I've only prepped, not loaded, some .30-06 and 6.5 Swede. With those I really felt the need for case neck lube too. Amazon.com : Redding Reloading - Imperial Dry Neck Lube : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I also find a wet tumbler is a great tool. I started with a large Frankford arsenal model and it was just to big most of the time. The harbor freight dual drum rock tumbler is the one I mostly use now. It fits my needs better as I am usually only tumbling 50 of this and 100 of that. The dual drums allows you to tumble two different type of cases that normally nest together or just keep lots of brass separate. I think between the two drums you can do 180 5.56 cases or so. They can be found for less than $60 on sale.

I have seriously considered going with a wet tumbler for quite some time, however I don't have fresh water available near my reloading area.

I'll definitely keep it in mind if I ever run water out to my reloading area

I did pick up the HF dry tumbler and so far it's been pretty damn good considering the price point

Rather than lube and pad, I use Hornady 1-Shot. Fill my case block(s), place on an old baking sheet, light spray, turn 180 degrees, then another light spray. Let dry, then start your process. Supposedly, there's no danger of powder or primer contamination, but after all the prep is done, I run a short cleaning cycle with corn cob, then prime, charge, and seat bullets. Probably unnecessary, but then, I do a lot of things that some folks would think are unnecessary :D. BTW, .223/5.56 is a very forgiving rifle cartridge to load for, especially if you're just loading blasting ammo. But it's also fun as a precision cartridge, I have a bolt action Savage set up as a bench rifle, with the right load, it's an easy 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards, farthest I've been able to stretch it so far. Hoping to stretch it more this spring. Later.

Dave

This is also what I had thought, but if die technology has progressed with no need of lube who am I to argue :D

Well I certainly don't know-it-all. I've only been at the game for 9 years, drop in the bucket to the majority of loaders here me thinks. And only done straight wall handgun rounds.

Do some looking around the interwebz and I believe you'll find that lube should be used on bottle neck cases. A great horror for the hand loader has to be a stuck case.

Well I certainly don't know-it-all. I've only been at the game for 9 years, drop in the bucket to the majority of loaders here me thinks. And only done straight wall handgun rounds.

Do some looking around the interwebz and I believe you'll find that lube should be used on bottle neck cases. A great horror for the hand loader has to be a stuck case.

Just to be clear I fully intend to lube the cases unless I see a manufacturer directly state that there is no need with the bottle necked case. A bit of humor in the last quoted post is all.

You definitely have more experience than myself (1 year :eek:) and I appreciate all advice given

The harbor freight one is pretty decent actually. If the two drums are too small/become hassle-ish, a home made single drum can be easily made. Source material readily available if one is a do-it yourselfer, or local Home Depot / Lowe's etc.

Various how to videos online.

AFAIK, even with carbide dies, case lube is needed for tapered/bottleneck cases. I tried w/o some years ago, maybe 40yrs, and wound up with a stuck case.... no fun!!

Adding: wet tumbler media thru Southern Shines Tumblers was the best value by far (compared with in store / Midway pins). They're egg shaped chips, so rarely a primer pocket hang up.

Haven't followed pricing, so things may have changed though.

AFAIK, even with carbide dies, case lube is needed for tapered/bottleneck cases. I tried w/o some years ago, maybe 40yrs, and wound up with a stuck case.... no fun!!

Absolutely one of my biggest fears going down the path for bottle neck cases...the thread "reloading mistakes" wasn't very reassuring either haha

From what it looks like other than the swager and case trimmer everything else is fairly inexpensive.

Hopefully I have the whole kit all put together by the weekend and I can start getting ladders made up

The harbor freight one is pretty decent actually. If the two drums are too small/become hassle-ish, a home made single drum can be easily made. Source material readily available if one is a do-it yourselfer, or local Home Depot / Lowe's etc.

Various how to videos online.
When I first got it I was thinking what a pos, after thousands of rounds tumbled it keeps chuggin along and I have come to love the thing. I thought it would leak for sure out of the box but the drums actually seal quite nicely. The drums being smooth inside don't quite achieve the same agitation as some of the other dedicated brass tumblers, so to get primer pockets clean on small primer brass you need a bit of extra time. As you have pointed out there are many hombrew projects to sort out some of these shortcomings.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top