Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What a pleasant and charming place!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by davemata, Aug 24, 2012.

1. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

Seriously, I'm in love with Spokane. We got here Sunday after 4 hard days of driving. A 2700 mile exodus taking us from the muddy banks of the Charles River to the center of Spokane.

Left 7:20a on Thursday the 16th and arrived 8:00p on Sunday. Drove through Mass, New York, PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and finally into WA for the final 30 minutes or so of our journey. 154 gallons of gas, 3 nights in hotels across the country. There was beer, there was IHOP, there was barbecue, and there was a carsick dog.

Almost became roadkill in NY, saw roadkilled moose in Idaho. We saw the amazing beauty of the middle of the country. Wisconsin was rolling verdant hills and waterslides. In Minnesota, there was meat. Gloriously ground and stuffed meat. Montana brought a new appreciation to chapparal and straight roads.

So now we're finally here and damn. Spokane is beautiful, the people are nice and I live right next to a quirky little district where one of the buildings is shaped like a milk bottle. This was a great move so far, and getting better. Movers come tomorrow, and I can be reunited with my guns. :)

Anyone local to Spokane?

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Yeah I love it here (although there are plenty of Spokane haters on here;)). If you live near the milk bottle then you are like 10 blocks from me. They have excellent burgers and milkshakes.

Here is a link to the local firearms forum.

Spokane Gun Trader • Index page

I like the people on here better though:)

Pm me if you need directions to a range or whatnot.

3. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Not spokane but welcome to washington.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

I hope your first experience with meat was pleasant.:D

But seriously, I worked on projects in Spokane years ago and found it to be a nice size with friendly people. Same with Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint. I made friends with people who were standing in front of me on the supermarket checkout line. I hope its still the same way.

5. davemata

Not just near it, I'm working from a cafe across the street from it right now. No desk at home, so no place to work from. :) Lot of cuties around here too...

Thanks for the Spokane Gun Trader link. I need to pick up a new pistol, so it will be important! How is the Drinkery?

Nightshade - Thanks!

6. davemata

I still have some landjaeger in the fridge. ;) If you find yourself in Minneapolis and need chow, check out Kramarczuk's. Phenomenal food, and great sausage maker. The place we're renting has a freezer, and on the 9th there is a meat auction at the fair. Guess who is gonna have an overfull freezer? ;)

The people here are awesome. I've just been talking to random people, since hey, I'm new, I don't care if I come across weird by saying hello. You know, it is completely different from MA. I'm glad to be back west. :) So, jim, I think it might still be the same way.

7. slimer13

I have never been in there but Ricks ringside (which is right there also) is a good working class bar that gets a little wild on the weekends:) And Fergusans which is right next to the Milk bottle has amazing breakfast. It has an old school 60's style diner feel.

8. davemata

I think I'm going to Fergusons for lunch today. Been working since 6am, getting hungry.

I'll have to check out Ricks. Great neighborhood though. :D

9. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Nice to read the positive stories! Welcome to WA, it's been great for us too since moving here a few months ago.

10. davemata

Awesome!

Where did you move from?

Ferguson's makes a good meatloaf sandwich.

11. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Well, he mentioned the Charles River so I'm guessing Massachusetts.

Nice country, crazy drivers, particularly around Boston. Loved seeing the USS Constitution when I was there on liberty back in the day.

elsie

12. davemata

Yeah, I just moved from Somerville, next to Boston. I was curious where Botte moved from.

Definitely beautiful there, and the drivers are insane. My favorite was always the suicide dive left turn drivers make there. For some reason everyone thinks that a left turn on a light has right of way, which it doesn't. So it was pretty sticky when I first moved there and almost got t-boned by the suicide divers when I went forward from a light.

You know, giving them a school teacher style finger wag paired with an eyebrow lift would just send them into these screaming fits that were funny to watch. ;)

Old Ironsides is amazing. Beautiful ship, would have loved to go for a cruise on it.

13. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I've never been to Spokane so I have no opinion on the place one way or the other. That said, welcome to the Northwest!

14. davemata

:thumbup:

Much appreciated.

15. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

I'm glad someone likes it in Spokane because I absolutely hate it. Been there once and never again sir. Never again.

But welcome nonetheless.

16. davemata

After having lived in LA, SF, Boston, as well as Reno, Yuba City and a small blip on the map in the middle of the AZ desert... I find Spokane has just the right mix of small town, open people, and just enough cultural ops for me to "work". I'm what, 1.5 weeks into the honeymoon though? :D Let's see what I think next summer. That will be a good litmus test. For now though, Spokane is selling itself well.

A couple nights ago we sat on the river at No-Li's beer garden... watched a heron hunting, an osprey playing at hunting, and a beaver go on full alert with a tail slap then we watched it cruise by like Red October. The beer was good too.

17. slimer13

10mrj8y.jpg

18. davemata

HAHAHA!

hatereagle.jpg

19. mosinguy

mosinguy by the ocean Member

i am a lil farther west of ya on the wet side moved here 8 yrs ago from ok and love it