JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got back from Crooked Finger and I was pretty bummed out by what I saw. As soon as I hit the gravel road I counted at least 6 empty cases of beer on the way to the landing, not to mention all the beer cans. The landing was so littered with beer cans, broken glass, random shot up trash (tvs, and who knows what else now turned into broken pieces of plastic). Not to mention the amount of shotgun shells was massive. I was approached by a sheriff but he never got out of the truck or spoke to me. I think he was just making sure I was shooting paper targets.

I would have taken some trash back but I don't think my wife would of been too pumped about filling the trunk of her sedan with muddy junk.

I hope this does not continue or you can add Crooked finger to the list of closed places to shoot.

Frankly, that totally pisses me off. I have a couple of shooting sites I use here on the coast and one of them continually gets somewhat trashed. A lot of people don't even bother to pick up their brass.
I think next time I'm at the local garbage dump I'm going to ask a manager if I can get a discounted price for bringing in trash from the forest. I live in a hippy-tree-hugger community so coming at it from an 'environmental' angle may score me some points. Either way I don't want to lose my RIGHT to shoot my guns. I just can't afford the cost of picking up lazy peoples trash!!! :angry:

The place I go is also out in the woods, and people do leave all kinds of crap. I just bring a shovel, rake and gas each time I go. I put some unburnable stuff in the back of the truck to throw out at home, and burn the shotgun hulls & other crap.

Maybe just bring a hefty bag each time you go, and you'll make progress.

The place I go is also out in the woods, and people do leave all kinds of crap. I just bring a shovel, rake and gas each time I go. I put some unburnable stuff in the back of the truck to throw out at home, and burn the shotgun hulls & other crap.

Maybe just bring a hefty bag each time you go, and you'll make progress.

That's a great idea about the shovel and rake. I didn't even think to burn all the shotgun hulls. I'll have to do that next time. I think that alone would make a huge difference in the overall appearance of the place. I don't have a way to haul large trash from there so every little counts. Plus, I live in an apartment complex and the managers have become uber stringent on what is thrown away (people throwing away furniture and hazardous stuff, another example of a few ruining it for everyone else but that's another topic, lol) to the point where they are considering putting up cameras.

Hopefully I will be back next week to do some plinking w/ rake and lighter in hand.

Frankly, that totally pisses me off. I have a couple of shooting sites I use here on the coast and one of them continually gets somewhat trashed. A lot of people don't even bother to pick up their brass.
I think next time I'm at the local garbage dump I'm going to ask a manager if I can get a discounted price for bringing in trash from the forest. I live in a hippy-tree-hugger community so coming at it from an 'environmental' angle may score me some points. Either way I don't want to lose my RIGHT to shoot my guns. I just can't afford the cost of picking up lazy peoples trash!!! :angry:

Not a bad idea, let us know if the "hippy-tree-huggers" give you a discount.

I hate seeing that. A place I grew up shooting at was closed about two years ago due to trash. I finally found a new spot that gets used by responsible people and ins't too trashed yet. I am keeping that place a secret.

Up the Sultan Basin Road, 'Brian' picks up the various types of metal, separates it, & prepares it so it is acceptable at recyclers. He also uses his gold mining skills, takes several screens to winnow & rinse the debris to get all the 22 shells. He takes many buckets full of 22 shells & makes hundreds of dollars! If you ever meet 'Brian' & his grey Sierra pickup, thank him for his efforts. The Ranger trying to control the debris on the Sultan Basin road already has thanked him. 'Brian' has got some good stories to tell too.

Crooked finger used to be a good place to shoot, now its more of a junkyard than anything else. I'm surprised shooting hasn't been banned yet with all the reports of logging equipment getting shot up and meth heads dumping junked cars.

I would propose that this discussion has played out for decades with the places we like to shoot. Would you all agree?
It seems most folks here are pretty damned reasonable & willing to do something about this...just pick up a bit of trash each time you go, period. No making excuses...excuses are why places get closed.
Even if it means a nominal fee at your local dump for a bag or two of crap-isn't that worth NOT paying the annual dues on a restrictive range membership?
Jdub

I try to always bring back the paper and cans that I shoot. I put them in a large garbage bag and tote them back to my trash can.

I think taking a tarp along to catch your brass is a good idea, especially if you reload.

Maybe its time we organized a cleanup for certain shooting areas and put up signs about that happening at that site. Might discourage others from dumping their shot up junk and leaving.

That is an event that might attract the attention of the press and local law enforcement in a positive way. Hey the hippy/yippy/skippy crowd does the big beach cleanup each year. Why not the shooting places.

yes the tarp is the greatest idea yet, I used to sit there and dig my 223 out of the muck and dirt. now all I do is fold it up and shake it out in the shop when I get home.....much easier and I dont miss any.

you know I forgot to mention, that if your grabing a bite to eat on the way up to go shooting, like I do with my kids. we tell the people at the drive thru if they wouldnt mind donating some large trash bags and tell them were are going to pick up trash in the mountains and they have always given us bags (the buger king at meadowland bimart on powell). there not the best bags but they are big

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top