Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What a life... Surviving Alone in Alaska

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Don H, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Surviving Alone in Alaska... sure looks better than a cubical farm!

[video=youtube;Iq0rZn8HFmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ[/video]

2. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

HEIMO!! thats a great vid. I would love to be able to hacksaw meat and throw it on the fire. Now I'm watching it again... Thanks for the entertainment. :cool:

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Same guy was on Discovery's series "Flying Wild Alaska." In one of the episodes they fly him into his cabin after being in town.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

His nephew wrote a book about him and his life. He's the last of the true Arctic Circle trappers.

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

30 years ago I turned down the chance to go to AK work telephone, I am a Southern boy but feel as if I was born 100 years too late.
    I also turned down a job in Kuwait but turned it down after I had a dream of a grenade being tossed down the manhole I was working in... A no brainer!!!

6. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

I'm sure the hazard pay would have bought you a nice casket and plot of dirt somewhere though...that's if they find anything left to bury...

7. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the cubical...

8. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

This is another one that might be up your alley. I've watched it a few times on Netflix. Little further west than Alaska. Pretty good documentary if you can get over the narrator's accent..
    [video=youtube;V1pOjj49d9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1pOjj49d9Y[/video]

9. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

As a young man I spent a month in AL in Aug. backpack, fishing rod, 22 and 44mag. I even made it up to Fairbanks (regretted it) the bush was friendly, in 30 days I saw ONE bear, keeping a clean camp/luck is the secret. Only mistake I made was taking along a lady, reduced my ManJoy by 50%!

xymotic and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Next time find a lady with no overbite... ;)

Peter

11. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Finally found a few minutes to finish the VICE episode and put this on my Netflix queue.

12. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

That sent shivers down my spine!
    I also lived in Australia for a year, bought a L/C and drove all the way around the island camping all the way, once a month I would hole-up in a motel and restock my supplies. This was before the Gun Confiscation in the '80s. A man could live w/a 22LR and a fishing line even in much of the Outback due to the 'Water Schemes'. I had access to several firearms during my stay, even Oppressed firearms. 22 sub sonic cost about .50 US per BX.
    So I've lived in several extremes, hard to pick which is the more dangerous, desert, snakes, crocs or wolves, bears, artic temps.
    I guess it is easier to live in the warmer climate, wear fewer clothes, easier to stay warm!