JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What was that Geologist's name?

I'll get it for you. When a true professional speaks on survival I listen. He lives near White Salmon WA and has a cabin near Mt Hood. He keeps 3 months worth of food. I'd say he's around 70-75. Not sure what he does for defense as i didn't have a chance to spend much time with him.

Remember though, in geological terms, soon & very soon could mean anywhere from millennia to 5 minutes from now...

However, just like health, homeowners & auto insurance it's a good idea to have actual useful tangible items & foodstuffs "put up" towards any number of rainy days. It's just another measure of insurance is all.

Simple example: we like coffee, a lot! So we started buying a bunch at a time, because we drink a bunch. ... and we're kinda "frugal". We camp, so have all kinds of methods to brew up a good cup sans the grid.

Next step for us might be getting into home roasting. Simply for the long storage of greens. That crisp "perfect cup" would take a good while to learn how to roast for. But green coffee beans are supposedly far less expensive, least last we looked into it...

Last Edited:
What if the earthquake causes Mt. Hood to blow?

From the NET training I'm doing right now, that's pretty unlikely, despite that volcanos and tectonic plates are often related.

If/when Mt. Hood does erupt, Portland won't be directly affected, because the mud flows it will cause will be confined to the Sandy, Clackamas and Hood River drainages. It won't spew ash the way St. Helens does or gush magma like Hawaiian volcanoes – wrong type of volcano. However, Portland will definitely be indirectly affected, like the Bull Run water supply being destroyed.

If you were drawn to this thread, you might be interested in Neighborhood Emergency Team (NET) / Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training. We learn all about this stuff. It's kind of like being a volunteer fire fighter, only you're trained to deal with all sorts of emergencies, not just fires. NET personnel were activated to help with the storm we had a couple weeks back, as well as the gas explosion on NW 23rd, which freed-up a dozen or more fire fighters and police so they could respond to more serious emergencies.

Info here: www.portlandoregon.gov/pbem

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads