JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger Precision Rifle now and am wondering OTHER than hand loads what do people use for 1000+ meter shots? I want to get set up for reloading but that will come in About 12 months.

Last Edited:
I did some research on this when I got my RPR, but I dont have experience with that distance myself. what I learned is you want the heaviest bullet that will stay supersonic the longest. I see 168 gr recommended for 308.

Hand loading is going to be the best because you get to match ammunition to your individual rifle.

Most people say factory match ammo will vary a bit by the individual rifle so you want to probably just buy a few brands and give them a try to see what your rifle likes the best

Here are a few recommendations I saved
HSM Trophy gold
<broken link removed>

Federal Gold match
Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

Hornady Superformance Match A-max
<broken link removed>

1000+ meter shots is pretty ambitious. It can be done, I guess, but not the ideal caliber for it IMHO. 168gr HPBT goes transonic around 800 meters depending on elevation, etc. I'm thinking 175gr or 180gr pushed hard would be in the ballpark for maybe achieving it, but that's beyond my limit for now to be honest so that's guesswork on my part. Anyone here actually hit a target with .308 with any consistency out to 1000 METERS (not yards)
I bow to you...

Fed Super match with the 168 gr Sierra BTM will do just fine at a Grand out of the Ruger Precision Rifle! I went to hand loading, and the 168 gr match bullets seem to be the sweet spot for speed and wind resistance. Hornady M-1A Match do a pretty good job out to a grand, but the Fed is better!

Fed Super match with the 168 gr Sierra BTM will do just fine at a Grand out of the Ruger Precision Rifle! I went to hand loading, and the 168 gr match bullets seem to be the sweet spot for speed and wind resistance. Hornady M-1A Match do a pretty good job out to a grand, but the Fed is better!

What kind of hold over have you found that's needed to reach that far?

Just picked the same one up last week. I'm going to be doing 1k yards within the next month with a coworker. I have not fired mine yet but I'm probably going to try out the 168 grain federal stuff at walmart and something else too. I've never shot beyond 500 yds with anything so I'm excited.

Just picked the same one up last week. I'm going to be doing 1k yards within the next month with a coworker. I have not fired mine yet but I'm probably going to try out the 168 grain federal stuff at walmart and something else too. I've never shot beyond 500 yds with anything so I'm excited.
We should be BFFs! Lol

I've fired thousands of rounds in service rifle, XTC and long range matches - specifically 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. It's really not that hard to hit the target at those ranges, but it does take preparation and a little practice.

First, .308 is very marginal at 1,000 yards; with its case capacity there is a very narrow band between excessive chamber pressure and maintaining a supersonic bullet to the target. Component selection is important.

To make a long post short, for my Winchester 70 target rifle I've found a 175gr BTHP with either Varget, IMR4064 or IMR4895 seems to give a performance better than I can shoot.

He said 1000 meters. That's 1093 yards. Again, can be done, but....much as I love .308 as an "all-around" bullet I'd really be thinking of another caliber for regularly trying for 1100 yard shots. Even .30/06 would be a better choice. Or 338 Lapua if you can afford it

308 doesn't do 1000 well. If you can find it get 175gr. See if black hills does it. They're good. For 168gr the federal gold medal match is about the best you can get. Very low SD from round to round.

Think about 600-800 yard. You can do 1000 but it's sketchy. Think about 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5xc or 260. All better choices but require hand loading.

I've fired thousands of rounds in service rifle, XTC and long range matches - specifically 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. It's really not that hard to hit the target at those ranges, but it does take preparation and a little practice.

First, .308 is very marginal at 1,000 yards; with its case capacity there is a very narrow band between excessive chamber pressure and maintaining a supersonic bullet to the target. Component selection is important.

To make a long post short, for my Winchester 70 target rifle I've found a 175gr BTHP with either Varget, IMR4064 or IMR4895 seems to give a performance better than I can shoot.
Good post good information of actual experience.:p:D
I agree the 308 gas tank is limited in size. Old school was the 175 SMK with muzzle
velocity of 2700 fps will remain supersonic out to 1K. To achieve this in a 308 it is
a MAX load. The 175 SMK worked better than the 168 SMK at 1K due to higher BC.
But the new Sierra Tipped Matchking(TMK) having a much higher BC
is the game changer. As comparison 168 SMK .462 BC----- 175 SMK .505 BC
168 TMK .535 BC------175 TMK .545 BC, I am currently working with the
168 TMK, Varget and IMR 4064.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class