JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good post good information of actual experience.:p:D
But the new Sierra Tipped Matchking(TMK) having a much higher BC
is the game changer. As comparison 168 SMK .462 BC----- 175 SMK .505 BC
168 TMK .535 BC------175 TMK .545 BC, I am currently working with the
168 TMK, Varget and IMR 4064.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very interested in your results. I ditched 308 a long time ago and went to 6mmbr and 260AI. The Precision Rifle people I know are all in the 6.5s of various sizes with 6.5xc being the new darling for them.

Do a post when you have something interesting to share. Getting the 308 out there at 1000 with better results is worth knowing about.

Something interesting to think about that with the Ruger precision rifle and probably most 308 all I need to do is change the barrel and I can shoot 6.5 Creedmoor....... i can even keep the Sam mags. Maybe I should contact Black Hole Weaponry and have them make me a barrel that I could swap from 308 to 6.5......

I shot my T/C icon .308 at a local benchrest match in Baker City last March. It took me about 15 rounds to get on target, in 15-25mph gusting winds. I didn't win any awards, but did manage to post 2, five shot groups for score, one at 17", the other at 20". I'm using Berger 155gr Hunting VLDs over a stout charge of H4895. My chrono data shows this bullet leaving at just a hair over 2900fps, and my dope was +8.4mil to get me to 1k. A quick look at JBM ballistics shows velocity just a bit over 1300fps at that range, and around 1200fps at 1100yds. While this certainly isn't the easiest way to get to that distance, it shows that it is doable.

You can do 1000+ using 208gr Amax simply because of its BC. 2400fps MV hits the transonic line at 1275.

If you use 175gr you need a MV of 2680 which is screaming and the transonic line hits you about 1150y.

I load for my 700sps and have been developing a load to reach that distance. The drop is absurd though. Haven't shot out that far yet but number crunching and ballistics lead me to those numbers above.

My go to Precision load is the 175gr SMK at 2680fps.

I shoot a lot of the PPU 168 gr HPBT match ammo, mostly because it's the cheapest good ammo I have been able to find.

I buy it for $399 a case shipped from Target sports. For $.79/rd I think it's a great deal

I am not shooting anything at 1000 yards though

If 1km is your target, you should look into that 6.5 barrel change IMO. I am looking at some and the ballistic advantage in 22" for my AR looks like the way I'm going. Unless I decide on a savage 10, but that means a whole new rifle with glass, rather than having an extra barrel to build a new rifle around.... Anyway, anything in 6.5 or 6mm out of a SA case will have way better consistency (and less frustration) than a .308 and for not that much money.

If 1km is your target, you should look into that 6.5 barrel change IMO. I am looking at some and the ballistic advantage in 22" for my AR looks like the way I'm going. Unless I decide on a savage 10, but that means a whole new rifle with glass, rather than having an extra barrel to build a new rifle around.... Anyway, anything in 6.5 or 6mm out of a SA case will have way better consistency (and less frustration) than a .308 and for not that much money.
Yeabut .308!

th?&id=OIP.PO57HKzhcDIWxbjPvrgosQEsDh&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

You can do 1000+ using 208gr Amax simply because of its BC. 2400fps MV hits the transonic line at 1275.

If you use 175gr you need a MV of 2680 which is screaming and the transonic line hits you about 1150y.

I load for my 700sps and have been developing a load to reach that distance. The drop is absurd though. Haven't shot out that far yet but number crunching and ballistics lead me to those numbers above.

My go to Precision load is the 175gr SMK at 2680fps.

Any idea what the Sectional Density is of a .308 at 1000yds using 175g bullets?

Ballistic Coefficient does change by velocity.
That's why long range nerds almost universally use the G7, instead of the G1 ballistic coefficient, it better predicts the trajectory of modern low drag projectiles over a wider range of variables. However, I do get that it sounds alot cooler to say, "My bullet has a bc of .670!" instead of "My bullet has a bc of .320."

That's why long range nerds almost universally use the G7, instead of the G1 ballistic coefficient, it better predicts the trajectory of modern low drag projectiles over a wider range of variables. However, I do get that it sounds alot cooler to say, "My bullet has a bc of .670!" instead of "My bullet has a bc of .320."
Yeah, some of G7 stuff is hard to find still. Some good estimates to get in the ballpark depending on what you shoot.

Good post good information of actual experience.:p:D
I agree the 308 gas tank is limited in size. Old school was the 175 SMK with muzzle
velocity of 2700 fps will remain supersonic out to 1K. To achieve this in a 308 it is
a MAX load. The 175 SMK worked better than the 168 SMK at 1K due to higher BC.
But the new Sierra Tipped Matchking(TMK) having a much higher BC
is the game changer. As comparison 168 SMK .462 BC----- 175 SMK .505 BC
168 TMK .535 BC------175 TMK .545 BC, I am currently working with the
168 TMK, Varget and IMR 4064.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Where do you buy your 168 TMK? The best price I can find is on okweber.com

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR