JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have gone through several 8 pounders of IMR 4064. I do
not use this for 223. Does not meter well and will not flow well
stuffing it in the small 223 case.:eek::eek: This is my favorite
powder for 30/06 and 308. For the lighter bullets I like W 748.
Meters very consistent. Also very accurate. My favorite load
for Highpower competition 100 yard reduced course of fire.
Sub MOA groups.:):)26 grains of W 748 and 53 SMK,
Win. Brass and WSR primers.:D
As always check any recipes with published reloading data.
Love these one caliber manuals with all major bullet and powder manufactures.:p:p:p:p
Loadbooks USA 223 Remington Reloading Manual

Ahh, you've got chucks huh? Maybe some more practical testing is required to get to bottom of this thread. I am willing to travel the required distance "at my expense" to let you test with my rifle and compressed h4895 loads on chucks to see if you can someday come to trust compressed loads. I with your benefit in mind will at my own risk, shoot the first 98 chucks, I mean shots, and let you, if you feel safe, shoot the final two. For testing puposes only. :D

LOL! We don't have that many chucks available anymore. They got shot out maybe 20 years ago. But I had access to a private spot that is gone now because by shooting buddy passed away. Sorry, otherwise I would be happy to play host, especially since you are pretty close by. :)

I, too, like IMR-4064 for 308 Win. It also works well in my 6.5x55 and in the .243 Win. with lighter bullets. I have used it in the .223 Rem. and it is only okay. There are other powders that work much better, like H-335, Accurate 2015, 2200, 2230, and 2460, Varget, H-4895, and my favorite, RamShot Tac. I have used lots of others, too and really the only one that I wouldn't use again is H-4198. Mediocre velocity, accuracy and didn't meter well in my Uniflow powder measure. I have used almost all the various primers and in my experience, they have all worked okay, Wolf 223, CCI-400, 450, BR-4, Fed 205, WSR, S&B, RP 7 1/2. I guess my first choice would be the Remington 7 1/2, but I could be just as happy with any of the others. My last two primer purchases were 5000 each of Wolf 223 and Sellier & Bellot because I got a good deal on them and I like having a good supply on hand.

Here in primer-challenged yUK we shoot what we get. So I shoot CCI #200 large rifle primers on account there isn't anything else apart from Winchester [not so good on account of the left-behind crud] or Fiocchi [even less good], or Remington [oy]. We used to get RWS stuff a while back, but the supply seems to have dried up.

I lucked into a guy giving up on shooting to concentrate on dying and found myself the proud owner of around 8000 CCI #200 primers, so I'm good to go. I only shoot large rifle primers anyhow, so I'm never confused for choice.

I'd post a picture of one of my primers over here in yUK, but I guess that once you've seen one, you've seen the other 200 billion.

tac

I like 4064 in my .308s -

upload_2017-2-16_9-42-35.png

Three shots @100m with my old Krico 650SS.

tac

Thanks folks, lots of choices and good ole preferences to go around for the end of time.:)
I do remember the last time I took some of the first reloads I had made and one group had a ringing to them. I believe that it was the IMR3031 with the CCI 450 primers, the other group was with ball powder with the same primers & they sounded fine.
Gots to be some truth to the ball powder CCI 450 & stick powder with CCI 400 primers. Dully noted.;)

Read your manual.

My Speer Manual frequently specs magnum primers for use with ball powders. And YES, even changing a primer can/will probably cause a pressure change. Maybe if you're up there, your reloads could cross over to being "dangerous?" So, test and approach cautiously if you're not following the book.

Some reading for you..........

www.frfrogspad.com/miscelld.htm#components

and

Since you mentioned .223 caliber (should I be thinking AR?).

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a "slam-fire" can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you're reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Then, to add to the confusion.....

Remington says.....

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Warning: When primers are selected incorrectly, misfires, damage to your firearm, and/or personal injury may occur. Visit the ballistics tables on our website. Recommended primers for each rifle and pistol cartridge are listed in these tables.

And, I don't know if this still applies to WOLF primers. But, here it is......

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer.Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass or copper colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top