JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a Colt 1911 and XDS. I'm thinking about buying in bulk, most likely 230gr FM—RN. I've been using Hornady at .22 cents per round but would like to get a better price. This would be for training not defense.

For what purpose Blackdog? I only handload 230gr Lead RN for target for mine and use factory ammo for EDC. Not that I am against handloading for carry but I purchased a case of the stuff before I retired and basically have a lifetime supply of it.

Since you said for training, 230gr RN FMJ or plated would my suggestion. I have shot tons of lead pills in the past, but anymore, I just go with the plated Bullets.

And good on ya for actually getting it and loading ammunition for the purpose of training with it. Shooting accurately with a pistol is a diminishing skill. Add stress to that situation, and things will go downhill in a hurry.

Last Edited:
Whatever happens to be on sale. As of so far, everything I load is for plinking and until I get better at loading in general, anything but the cheapest bullet I can find is a waste. Though given a choice, I like 230gr ball.

For low recoil target loads it was 200 SWC lead but now I use 200 SWC blue bullets. For full power loads I
like the 200 Flat Point berry's plated bullets for practice. And Hornady 200 XTP. 200 grain bullets kicks less and I shoot
the 200 grain MO better.;) I have been cranking out 45 acp on my Dillon 550 for over 30 years.
1573635570612.png

For both plinking and training I load 230gr fmj's to match the HST factory load because I think it's best to practice with a load that has the same recoil characteristics as my defense loads. Some people think I'm being picky or finicky, but developing muscle memory doesn't end when the shot goes off, it also applies to recoil management.

Would you consider casting your own?
I produce 230 grainers at about $35 per thousand. Using recycled wheel weights, Lee 6 cavity molds and a Lyman 450 Luber/Sizer I can do the work in about 4 hours. My favorite bullets are the TC and the RN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used a 200gr LSWC, going back to the days when I shot a lot of IPSC matches. It's still my favorite bullet, makes a nice clean round hole, tends to be pretty accurate, and any even semi-modern 1911 will feed them just fine. As I use up my current stock I may switch to a coated or plated version just to make barrel cleaning a little easier.

I cast both 230 gr LRN and 160 gr LRN. Both of those are used for practice. A couple years ago a friend traded me 500 Hornady 180 gr XTP's that I load for carry. That will likely be a lifetime supply. I also have a few 230 gr Golden Sabers left over that round out my carry ammo. The practice loads pretty well mimic the carry loads. DR

I cast both 230 gr LRN and 160 gr LRN. Both of those are used for practice. A couple years ago a friend traded me 500 Hornady 180 gr XTP's that I load for carry. That will likely be a lifetime supply. I also have a few 230 gr Golden Sabers left over that round out my carry ammo. The practice loads pretty well mimic the carry loads. DR
160? Wow, that's a stingy mold! Never did the math but I think my stingiest is the Lee 102 gr rn..
.38/9mm.

I LIKE Precision Delta, have shot thousands of them. Buy 2000 at a time really helps on price. 230 grain RN, never a problem feeding.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads