JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uzi, MP5 have both seemed to work real well over the years for close quarters.

So now you make a 9mm with a 4.5 to 6 in barrel with an arm brace or SBR and you have a usable cartridge/package compared to a 7.5 barrel AR in 5.56 with a huge ball of flame from un-burnt powder to let everybody know where you are.

With good hallow points there is better expansion and less blow through compared to 5.56 taking out an innocent and it is easier to control than a handgun.

Just my opinion

The only possible justification I have think of, is with a can they can be super quite.

However I 100% agree with you. The other issue is that most of them are blowback, so they have more felt recoil than a properly tuned AR. On top of that many of the parts builds AR 9s have reliability issues.

Small format gun, build a 8-10" 300 blk firing 110 grain vortex TSX bullets and stop dicking around with 9mm.
If quiet was the goal, or the reason for a PCC, then why go with a 35 caliber pill? Might as well go with a 45acp, or 10mm/40S&W caliber so the bullet, under the speed of sound, would be maximized.

For that reason, if quiet was the most important factor, it seems that 300BLK would be the best option. 220gr pill at 1000-1100 fps would be great!

Each to their own i, i like pcc's they are cheap to shoot and fun as hell meaning you spend time behind them and get profecient. The only reliabilty issue ive had with pcc has been with knock off mags and 9mm might not be known as knock down power for home defence but with a pcc i feel it is since at 25 yards or less its easy to get sub 2" consistency and with 30-50 rd mags bieng readily avail. Ive tried alot of different pieces and have kept the cream that work.
84B4613D-D0D8-4C52-A4D9-5F74411E370A.jpeg

If you want quiet without sacrificing terminal performance, I got a better idea, how about a 500gr Maker rex subsonic expanding all copper projo launched out of a short barreled 458 socom at 1000fps. I know it will have a drt result with a 175# deer. 1166 ft/lbs at the muzzle and carries 1000ft/lbs of energy out past 100yds yet huge expansion limits penetration. Shock and awe baby.

ft/lb 67AA6B75-297E-4479-A7CF-C474A792B93B.jpeg B7979561-5543-4275-A7B0-28C26B4D43E4.jpeg

Last Edited:
Also, ammo choice is so important here. Commercial 9mm is mostly loaded to maximize for a pistol barrel. I doubt many 9mm loads will give appreciably more in a 16" barrel.

My PCC is a Sub2K in 40S&W. And then I created a load with slower powder and 155gr XTP bullets that easily goes 1500 fps and gets over 800 ft-lbs of energy. I'm feeling pretty good about that load. It suppresses okay, though is a bit gassy (kinda like me during the Corn Teen).

If quiet was the goal, or the reason for a PCC, then why go with a 35 caliber pill? Might as well go with a 45acp, or 10mm/40S&W caliber so the bullet, under the speed of sound, would be maximized.

For that reason, if quiet was the most important factor, it seems that 300BLK would be the best option. 220gr pill at 1000-1100 fps would be great!

I 100% agree. Was only playing devils advocate. 9mm suppresses very well because it is a relativly small charge of powder compared to the guns you stated.

However, 300 blk with Lehigh expanding subsonic bullets would be reasonably effective and quite.

If you want quiet without sacrificing terminal performance, I got a better idea, how about a 500gr Maker rex subsonic expanding all copper projo launched out of a short barreled 458 socom at 1000fps. I know it will have a drt result with a 175# deer. 1166 ft/lbs at the muzzle and carries 1000ft/lbs of energy out past 100yds yet huge expansion limits penetration. Shock and awe baby.

ft/lbs View attachment 681179View attachment 681180

Rekt em.

With good hallow points there is better expansion and less blow through compared to 5.56 taking out an innocent and it is easier to control than a handgun.

Mk262, black hills TMK loads, basically any soft point federal loading, and hornady TAP, would like a word.

:s0140:

The AR-9 is a perfect home defense tool for my wife.

A regular 9mm pistol is too small for her to get reliable hits since she flinch/dips it sending the first round into the ground.

A 12 gauge shotgun has too much kick.

An AR-15 rifle is too loud.

The AR-9 is large and heavy enough to control with minimal thump, kick or bark.

I have several 9mm PCC's ( Sort of Theyre mostly SBR's ). I am a realist when it comes to guns. Theres a negative numbers potential that I will ever shoot anyone with them. I dont care about the ballistics at all. I dont care about overpenetration because they are never going to get shot inside my house. I am not going to war with them. I am not going on neighborhood patrol with them. I am not going to defend myself or anyone else during a SHTF scenario but that is a ridiculous pipe dream. If I ever do ventilate someone its going to be with a shotgun or a pistol or under the strangest of circumstance a rifle and 99.9999% sure thats never going to happen regardless. Theyre fun to shoot range toys that use ammo that is cheaper than the cheapest 5.56 .

A3L66l.jpg

oXyry9.jpg

LZWSk6.jpg

40EuZk.jpg

Last Edited:
The increased velocity of a rifle barrel puts 9x19 squarely in .357magnum territory. I am sure all those poor saps who use an mp5 are horribly undergunned as well. For me, the issue is distance and maneuverability. I hear people speak of 9mm as much less capable than it is. I ring steel with my carbines at 200 yards. however, if a stray bullet were to collide with my roof, given some tests I have done with my roof`s materials a 9mm would blast the roofing tile, but it does stop it, minimizing stray bullets. I used the same plywood and tile from my roof for testing purposes.

However, I am leaning towards 9mm carbines for the stray bullet factor. Given the way my home is built and angles, risk of collateral damage is low. To me living another day and not killing an innocent are my top priorities. I also highly doubt I would have 100 percent accuracy in such a case.

I have several 9mm PCC's ( Sort of Theyre mostly SBR's ). I am a realist when it comes to guns. Theres a negative numbers potential that I will ever shoot anyone with them. I dont care about the ballistics at all. I dont care about overpenetration because they are never going to get shot inside my house. I am not going to war with them. I am not going on neighborhood patrol with them. I am not going to defend myself or anyone else during a SHTF scenario but that is a ridiculous pipe dream. If I ever do ventilate someone its going to be with a shotgun or a pistol or under the strangest of circumstance a rifle and 99.9999% sure thats never going to happen regardless. Theyre fun to shoot range toys that use ammo that is cheaper than the cheapest 5.56 .

View attachment 681196

View attachment 681197

View attachment 681198

View attachment 681199

Range toys.

Like I said......

I want an AR-9 (and will get one at some point) for 2-3 reasons:

1. I can keep it in my car loaded if it's a pistol

2. My wife shoots my glock like a champ and I'd just rather keep a couple extra 32 round mags around that will work for my G17 and the AR-9.

3. Seems like a great clear the house gun for bump in the night in my situation.

*Bonus 4th - I don't have one yet:D;):p

Agree or disagree it's all the same to me:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top