JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love the caliber, it is offered in a multitude of platforms, cheap to shoot, accurate and most people can handle the recoil easily. But a decisive stopper round it is not. I see many threads here touting these pcc's and ar pistol builds for hd , truck guns and such. I get it if that is all you have available but at home or even in a vehicle, if you have the ability to have a larger platform than the typical auto pistol, why choose 9mm? I will give you the mag commonality argument and these platforms allowing for better accuracy but it is still a pistol round with limited lethality. I think the better choice for serious work would be a shotgun or sbr/pistol ar in 5.56 or 300blk or My choice 7.62x39. Of course a sbr/pistol AK would be great also. Let me have it, am I thinking wrong?

The only possible justification I have think of, is with a can they can be super quite.

However I 100% agree with you. The other issue is that most of them are blowback, so they have more felt recoil than a properly tuned AR. On top of that many of the parts builds AR 9s have reliability issues.

Small format gun, build a 8-10" 300 blk firing 110 grain vortex TSX bullets and stop dicking around with 9mm.

This is my truck gun inside a truck. It is 7.62x39. But you gotta ask, would you really want this as a truck gun? The only thing between me and another driver is fiberglass bodies of the trucks.

I just have it cause if I get "stranded" (waiting forever for a load) near the woods I can at least hike around.

5042245B-A03D-4594-BBC5-3EF8A45BD6D2.jpeg

My truck gun is an 11" AR pistol in 7.62x39 loaded with 123gr fusion/gold dot ammo. I have thoroughly vetted this setup. At my bedside I do have a glock in 9mm that comes off my person every night but also a scattergun in arms reach.

I have a 9mm PCC only as a plinker as I don't have a large home to protect and I don't have a truck/large vehicle to store something in.

I think the general consensus is that a PCC is a good, mid-range, home defense weapon for when something more than a handgun is warranted. They are great for more casual gun owners where storage can be an issue: A 9mm PCC can share ammo types (like expensive JHPs) and magazine types (eg, Glock magazines). A carbine gives more stability than a handgun.

But they are not long-range solutions given the limited ballistics of the 9mm round. And in very long barrels, many 9mm defensive rounds actually lose velocity! If you have large property that needs protection, a real rifle would be needed.

Just some thoughts...
Shooting a 223 indoors is crazy loud. A rifle length [or longer barreled) 9mm, still loud, but not as deafening.
Many trust a 9mm for EDC, why not HD, especially with a likely bump in velocity.

I just built my first over the weekend but it is not intended to be my go-to HD gun of choice. Lots of cool options listed above; enjoy hearing others thoughts.

Well. If pistol calibers are effective against bears, no reason they aren't effective against puny humans at close range?

:rolleyes:

This is likely where the stability of a carbine is very much a better position than the relatively lack of accuracy from a pistol...

The higher velocities gained by certain lengths of barrels also seems to help the 9mm pistol rounds.

Ammo Prices also have much to do with it.. as well as compatibility with pistols (if shared magazines)

Penetration concerns and homes being in relatively close ranges also factors.

"Serious work" for who? Certainly not those kicking in doors for a living, the opposite is true. Personally, I'm not a fan, if I'm taking the size and weight penalty I want the power and accuracy of a rifle caliber to go along with it.

Define "Serious Work".

If you're looking for a gun to keep in the truck (larger but still limited space) and are most likely to need it to protect yourself from wildlife should you need to hike out of a location due to vehicle problems...then yea, 9mm PCC probably isn't the best choice.

If "serious work" means having something to protect your 1500 sqft townhouse (like mine) where the longest shooting distance downstairs is about 30ft and the longest upstairs about 20ft...then a 9mm PCC makes more sense (nice high capacity and plenty effective at those ranges).

I don't know the stats on this: I would assume that even a multiple person home invasion would be taking place in order to steal things and any show of force from the property owner would send the rats running. And if it did come down to stopping an attacker, I'm a believer in shot placement and, if you can't guarantee shot placement, then more holes > less holes. If someone can do a mag dump using a 9mm PCC into a 6" circle at 20ft, then I'd say that's plenty good for protection.

But, if "serious work" is protecting your farm or large property and you wish to be able to shoot effectively out to the edges of that property, then you'd need a rig capable of getting you there. It's probably not going to be a 9mm PCC.

The way I see it, the hype around 9mm PCC's recently may be indicative of more suburban and urban people getting into guns. Rural folk have, predominantly, been into guns and the use cases are large property protection and hunting: things that would require a more stout weapon.

The use case for a suburban townhouse owner (like myself) or city apartment renter are quite different.

Don't believe everything you read on the net. I do not know anyone who lives in bear country that advocates the use of 9mm for bear defense. If it is all you have, sure use it but I think that guy cherry picked some instances to try and further his opinion.

Don't believe everything you read on the net. I do not know anyone who lives in bear country that advocates the use of 9mm for bear defense. If it is all you have, sure use it but I think that guy cherry picked some instances to try and further his opinion.

If that is the case, may as well go for a 22 Long, it's been done too, from what I hear/read (every other week). :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
from what I have read most use them for fun or home defense. Occasionally a truck gun. A 9mm truck gun isn't unusual. Cops used to carry them and still might.

9mm. pcc"s are just fun! Some of us don't take gun stuff that serious. Safety aside

My definition of serious work is an instance where you have to incapacitate a living being decisively with 1 or two shots. In the case of a truck gun I like it to also be capable of efficiently taking a big game animal out to 100 yds or so.

Define "Serious Work".

If you're looking for a gun to keep in the truck (larger but still limited space) and are most likely to need it to protect yourself from wildlife should you need to hike out of a location due to vehicle problems...then yea, 9mm PCC probably isn't the best choice.

If "serious work" means having something to protect your 1500 sqft townhouse (like mine) where the longest shooting distance downstairs is about 30ft and the longest upstairs about 20ft...then a 9mm PCC makes more sense (nice high capacity and plenty effective at those ranges).

I don't know the stats on this: I would assume that even a multiple person home invasion would be taking place in order to steal things and any show of force from the property owner would send the rats running. And if it did come down to stopping an attacker, I'm a believer in shot placement and, if you can't guarantee shot placement, then more holes > less holes. If someone can do a mag dump using a 9mm PCC into a 6" circle at 20ft, then I'd say that's plenty good for protection.

But, if "serious work" is protecting your farm or large property and you wish to be able to shoot effectively out to the edges of that property, then you'd need a rig capable of getting you there. It's probably not going to be a 9mm PCC.

The way I see it, the hype around 9mm PCC's recently may be indicative of more suburban and urban people getting into guns. Rural folk have, predominantly, been into guns and the use cases are large property protection and hunting: things that would require a more stout weapon.

The use case for a suburban townhouse owner (like myself) or city apartment renter are quite different.

A rifle caliber rifle is still a better choice, will over penetrate walls the same or less, is probably more reliable. Much more lethal, and will penetrate soft (and some hard depending on armor and ammo (ar500 *cough* *cough*))

If you are worried about noise, buy a Can.

From the research I have done all the chamberings being discussed here have the potential to over penetrate, the 9mm included. Knowing your safe shooting lanes/ directions and ammo choices should always be considered. Lately I have been looking into 77 stmk ammo in 5.56 as it seems to do better than most as far as over penetration goes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top