JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for that Mk 262 link. I know a lot more about OTM now. Appreciated muchly...

My thoughts on just what shot to use for home defense...

1st choice is the buck shot that patterns the best and or the buck shot that you shoot best out of your shotgun.
2nd choice is whatever shot you have on hand.

I for one ain't gonna curl up and wait to die , 'cause all I have is bird shot in a home defense situation.
Remember the need here is to stop the threat...
Stopping in this case does not always mean killing the threat.
If what you did means that you stopped the threat...then that is what was needed.

And yes I know I said IF...which ain't the best word to hear for self / home defense.....
Andy
Edit to add...
Right now ammo is scarce for some folks....
So they may need to use what they have , which could not be what is usually recommended.

Currently the shotgun is unlocked since I'm home. Its not loaded but i just spread out a bunch of ammo around the house so I've got some ammo in case I need. The vests are too expensive for me right now. I am a teacher, I work for a private school and I just barely started the job so, I am not in the best situation right now. I got the guns and the vest will have to come later.

Are you capable of remembering where you stashed that ammo, loading it and firing it in the seconds or less that you may have UNDER STRESS? I don't give myself that kind of credit, that's why I keep my primary defense weapons loaded.

You should think about that for a few.

I am getting a lot of conflicting info on this. The gun is no good if its locked, The gun is no good if its not loaded, The gun is no good if its locked away in a safe. Then I get this where never keep ammo outside unlocked, Never keep the gun out when kids are around, etc etc. I think we all got to 1, follow the law 2, do what we personally think is best for us. At this point IDK what TF to do but I am trying my best and no matter what i decide to do, someone is going to criticize it.

Welcome to the wide wide world of individual needs and responsibilities.

There are NO ABSOLUTES. This is why we fight the jackasses that try to jam us into one small box.

Are you capable of remembering where you stashed that ammo, loading it and firing it in the seconds or less that you may have UNDER STRESS? I don't give myself that kind of credit, that's why I keep my primary defense weapons loaded.

You should think about that for a few.

I do believe so. I studied martial arts since I was a kid and I have had to use that knowledge in real situations. I lived out of the country and have had people come ip grabbing me, my hair, my kids and with my kids they'd grab them and take off with them. I've had my share of real life crazy bubblegum situations that would surprise many of you. In situations like this I'm not panicking, my mind actually works better and I'm able to take in my situation, make a decision and then fight the f out of that situation. Now after the situation is over and I'm not in danger I'll probably cry my head off and need time to work out what's happened but, during that situation I'll be my best at analyzing everything and able to make good decisions.

I grew up in a really bad neighborhood in Utah. We had gang shootings all the time there, once at the store when we were in the parking lot two gangsters shot each other up, they both killed each other and I was a few cars from one guy as he was dying he was looking at me, in pain, gasping, twitching and I saw that guy die. We had break ins at our house and so I'm no stranger to situations like this where I would need to use deadly force. I've never killed anyone before but, I will shoot someone if I have to. I've always had to defend my kids and I in China and Hong Kong because my ex was a coward. I don't say that to be mean but, an insane guy came into the store and as the insane guy who was screaming and hitting things with a cane came towards us, my ex ran away leaving me with my three kids, I pushed them behind me and faced the insane guy thinking I'd need to battle a guy with a cane when I had nothing but, anything around you can be used to protect yourself because I've had to use things around me for protection.

There are so many what if situations but the one thing I can trust is my reaction to it will ne logical and analytical because that's how my mind works in life or death situations. I'm cool and I don't freak out.

I lived out of the country and have had people come ip grabbing me, my hair, my kids and with my kids they'd grab them and take off with them...
I grew up in a really bad neighborhood in Utah... We had break ins at our house and so I'm no stranger to situations like this where I would need to use deadly force...
I've always had to defend my kids and I in China and Hong Kong because my ex was a coward. I don't say that to be mean but, an insane guy came into the store and as the insane guy who was screaming and hitting things with a cane came towards us, my ex ran away leaving me with my three kids, I pushed them behind me and faced the insane guy thinking I'd need to battle a guy with a cane when I had nothing...
Wow... Just... wow... :eek:
And he had the gall to come back home, after running away and leaving you to face the crazy Dude alone? Wow... :confused:

Last Edited:
No. I guess the joke was poor.
You said something that the word censor algorithm changed to bubblegum.
I made the comment that you, as a mod, got censored.
The joke was that a mod got censored.
Wasn't all that funny in retrospect, was it? :oops:

Wow... Just... wow... :eek:
And he had the gall to come back home, after running away and leaving you to face the crazy Chinaman alone? Wow... :confused:

He came back after the guy left, acted like nothing happened but my kids were so upset they asked me why their father would leave us like that and run away. They said they didn't feel safe because he abandoned us. I told them not to worry because I'd die to protect them and my son told me that a father/husband shouldn't leave his family like that. He's 12 years old and he gets it at this age. The ex ran from insects and such so its no surprise that he would run away when real life situations happen.

Once in Utah at my sisters BBQ some guy got all racist at my eldest daughter who was 8 years old at the time and while we were on vacation there in the summer. She was making S'mores and a man told my daughter she wasn't making them the American way and if she wanted to make them the Asian way she better go back to Hong Kong. I got really angry at this comment because its 1- racist, 2- we are American, 3- just because we have lived in Asia doesn't make it ok for him to be racist to any of us or anyone period. I told him off for being racist and he started getting in my face, being aggressive and threatening to hit me or put me in my place. This guy was almost 6ft and a big burly guy, I'm 5'3 and short and we are yelling at each other, he totally made me go into Mama Bear mode. Its probably the one thing no one wants to do is to make me go into Mama Bear mode. Anyway, we are yelling at each other and I told him to go back to Europe and that my daughter started it and she threatened saying I would kill him for saying that to her and I told him damn right she said that because she knows no one can mess with her and her siblings. He was actually acting like a big kid to be honest. Guess where my ex was? He was sitting his coward butt on a pool chair with his eyes closed. He did not do jack bubblegum as this guy was yelling in my face, threatening me and telling us to go back to HK with our samurai swords. Earlier he was asking us what it was like to speak Japanese too. LOL. So, the ex is really a coward. Luckily by the time he ran away and left us with the insane man, I was already done and preparing to move here so my feelings weren't hurt but the kids felt really unsafe and unprotected due to his actions. He doesn't deserve our kids at all, he won't even protect them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top