JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming we're talking about legal stuff....
What's the appeal of one woman over another?
Does one really have to justify everything to someone else?
If I could afford more and assuming I want more.....why not?

Modern-Musket.jpg

Aloha, Mark

For me, other than almost having a SBR without the tax stamp, I don't quite understand the appeal for the AR Pistol. I'm not bashing them at all, I just don't get it. If I want a handgun, I'll get a handgun, if I want a rifle I'll get a rifle.
Now, I would like to have a 9mm AR rifle (carbine) because of the cost to shoot it is less than most rifle rounds. I haven't built one yet because I am having a tough time justifying the cost to build a 9mm AR, it feels like it is going to cost a lot more to build a 9mm AR than it did with my 5.56 or 7.62x39 ARs.
I want an AR pistol cuz with all the BS going on a Glock 17 just doesn't seem like enough sometimes and with my CCL I can keep it up front in the rig with me vs the trunk unloaded.
$2000 for the first AR is a ridiculous budget. IMO you're better off getting a budget/value AR that is to your liking and then shooting / competing with it to determine what specific accessories you're interested in for what your intended uses are rather than what seemed "cool" at first, but with more experience realize is "tactical crap." For example in the past two years, (outside of panic prices) A PSA complete lower with magpul STR goodness and a 'cool' upper with free floated rail and a 16-18" barrel could have been had for $200 after tax and transfer for the lower and $300 for a complete upper for a total complete rifle of about $500. Because in a lot of cases, the gun is the cheap part of the equation when you start adding in optics, ammo, and other accessories. A good red dot will go anywhere from $100 - $400 depending on brand and functionality, a good rifle scope would cost similarly, or easily more depending on brand and magnification range. Then you factor in ammo, magazines, sling, light, and before you know it you have easily spent twice the cost of the rifle on accessories and ammo for the rifle.

This is why I recommend what I do, because with experience comes a different level of thinking and from the time you buy your first AR, with experience, you'll inevitably think differently about it and prioritize different things than you originally would have. Why spend a lot of money on something until you have the experience to know what you really want?

KISS.... (Keep It Simple Stupid)

11.5" barrel in 5.56 with KAK "blade stabilizer" basically makes these a modern pistol version of the Army CAR15 that I used to use... one of them has a Franklin Binary-III trigger group for some REALLY rapid fire goodness.

3115F8C4-9C0F-43E4-B496-26BB3A90352C.jpeg

Simple ergonomics for me. I have short arms and the AR with it's adjustable stock have allowed me to hit what I'm shooting at. I first tried one as an M-16 in 1966. It was very different than anything that I'd fired up to that point. So light weight, a great caliber and lots of bulls eyes sold me on this platform. Welcome to target shooting and the ability to protect you and yours from those that would bring harm to you.

I want an AR pistol cuz with all the BS going on a Glock 17 just doesn't seem like enough sometimes and with my CCL I can keep it up front in the rig with me vs the trunk unloaded.
I went with one cause when folded this is almost as compact as a ruger pcc that was taken down, and it gives me an option other than just my 1911.

0E5F34FC-45EE-4FE9-AB11-31A988EFDE9F.jpeg

For me, other than almost having a SBR without the tax stamp, I don't quite understand the appeal for the AR Pistol. I'm not bashing them at all, I just don't get it. If I want a handgun, I'll get a handgun, if I want a rifle I'll get a rifle.
Now, I would like to have a 9mm AR rifle (carbine) because of the cost to shoot it is less than most rifle rounds. I haven't built one yet because I am having a tough time justifying the cost to build a 9mm AR, it feels like it is going to cost a lot more to build a 9mm AR than it did with my 5.56 or 7.62x39 ARs.
I can carry an AR pistol loaded in my vehicle with my CHL.

I prefer rifle over pistol configuration just for the usual reasons accuracy, distance, and if I wanted a pistol cal. that held larger mags just buy larger ones for a regular pistol. Rifle cal. is a waste to me in pistol length barrels but that's my opinion YMMV. Besides you may need the extra room for attachments that a rifle length affords......

accessories.jpg

My time in the army started with an M14. Then we traded those in for the M16. I was a gun guy before my time in the army. When I got out in 1972, I bought a Colt SP-1 which was as close to the M16 that I could get. Have had an AR around every since. You might say I've owned one since before they became stylish. I don't really need one but I like having them. To get to the basic OP question, a rifle is more suited to serious shooting.

I have more uppers than lower. I can swap parts and have a different experience in a few seconds. They offer a lot of flexibility.

Last Edited:
1. Cheaper than mini-14's.

2. An AR has about as many accessories for them as Barbie has accessories for her.

I love ar's... everyone spends all their shiny nickles on them. Then when that cool lever gun shows up... boom it's mine. You already spent your nickles!!!

Between a friend and I we have shot six rifles in 6.8 spc ll with s&b pointed ammo into multiple 1/2" groups 5 shot at 100yrds
We both say always; why don't our bolt guns shoot this well? <9x power scopes.

To me they are like cars. From a young age I knew I wanted more than one. As others have said there are endless configurations. From a Camaro to a Lambo, your budget decides what one is for you. Then you option it to your preferences.

Here is why I stick with rifle cartridges in AR's. Comparing the two most common rounds you might use in an AR-15 platform:
  • 9mm 124 gr bullet M882 weighs 12.6 grams or 0.444 oz
  • 5.56 55 gr bullet XM193 weighs 11.6 grams or 0.410 oz

The rifle round actually weighs less than the pistol round, but is effective on man sized targets for a much greater range.

Even in a pistol length upper and the loss of IIRC about 600 fps for a 10.5" over a 16" barrel, XM193 still has much longer effective range than M882. Other pistol cartridges may close the gap a bit, but then you are increasing costs and decreasing availability. For the same effort and cost you could go with other rifle based cartridges that up the performance gap even more.

To me the only reasons for a 9mm or other pistol cartridge based AR is for ammunition compatibility with a sidearm and the ability to shoot in indoor ranges. I sure wouldn't knock anybody's decision to go with a pistol cartridge, but those are my personal thoughts.

Why go with an AR platform? Pretty well discussed above. The only drawback is that you can't stop at one.

Fun, accurate, powerful but not too powerful, expensive but not too expensive, reliable, proven technology. It's really a great all around firearm and it's popularity is well deserved.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top