JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure, but I'd be interested in some info too. I've used MSARs, they are pretty nice rifles and only cost about as much as a nice AR-15. I've handled a real steyr aug a3, and it was even nicer, but it also cost like $2300 at the time. Dunno if they've gone down in price but it wasn't $1000 nicer than the msar.

Given the cost... I'd probably rather get a real steyr than one of these TPD rifles personally.

If I recall correctly, they are no longer in business. Didn't produce a lot of 'em when compared to your average AR builder. Some teething problems early on but they were worked out.

You can find them for sale periodically if you roam he boards but if you're looking to buy new your best bet is MSAR (Microtechnology Small Arms Research). I have an MSAR STG-556 and love it.

The advantage to the model you're asking about is that it uses standard AR magazines.

ETA: I retract my previous statement. After looking through the site you linked to it appears they are still in business. I'd swear I read an interview with the owner claiming he was done and moving on.

If I recall correctly, they are no longer in business. Didn't produce a lot of 'em when compared to your average AR builder. Some teething problems early on but they were worked out.

You can find them for sale periodically if you roam he boards but if you're looking to buy new your best bet is MSAR (Microtechnology Small Arms Research). I have an MSAR STG-556 and love it.

The advantage to the model you're asking about is that it uses standard AR magazines.

New production MSAR E4s also use AR-15 magazines. :) They are even making AR-15-compatible magazines that look like the steyr waffle mags iirc.
View attachment 199673

The TPD story:

TPD was a small company. The owner invested a ton into the project. AUG's were his passion. He loved them. Spent over 7yrs designing and making contacts to produce them. He used some local vendors and some from else where. Relying on other folks for things like barrels and and a few other key components proved to be a problem. The barrels were top notch, but orders that were placed with the quoted time of 3 months turned into a year. In small business land, its really hard to operate a business for 7months making no income. This was all during the Obamascare and everyone was super busy doing only AR stuff and no other barrel maker wanted to play ball. Several other suppliers did pretty much the same thing spelling the end, for the most part, of the AXR.

That said, the AXR is an incredible piece of work. Its the only AUG that was CNC'd from solid stock, not cast like all the rest. They also used a 1 in 8 twist barrel with 1/2-28 threads as well as used a steyr NATO stock to take AR mags. Its a shame that it didn't develop further as it had potential to out class the MSAR (still does IMO) and even the Sabre AUG. But this is what happens when you are a small fish with little backing in a big pond. TPD is still around however, working on other, smaller projects. It really saddens me that the probability of seeing anymore AXR's is pretty much Nil. But I have huge respect for the owner. He did, with a little help from only a handful of folks (all locals)make a working, not to mention a kick @$$ aug with a relatively small budget when everyone else said it couldn't happen.

Bummer, sounds like they were pretty cool rifles after all.

I'm not terribly familiar with AUGs, but is this or is this not also true of the steyr aug a3? If a TPD is nicer than an actual steyr that would make it worth the $.
The AXR's were/are cool freakin rifles.

The A3's were cast, then machined IIRC. I don't believe that they were full CNC'd. Since I am a bit of a snob, I don't think I could bring myself to get an A3 because of the way they look (top rail looks horrible IMO), and they are not 100% made by steyr. I really dig the AXR over the rest for a few reasons, but they are about as rare as hens teeth given the fact that only a couple hundred were made vs. the thousands of MSARs and Saber's. If I had the cash I would go grab a Select Fire A2. Saw one for about $10k a while back. AUG + F/A = pure win.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top