JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im the first to post in this thread! Feels pretty empty in here........
HEEELLLOOOOO!!!!!

Cant wait for this thread to kick off, Im going to start looking for some content to post. Thanks!

I think I hear crickets................:s0131:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

My survial Kit (backpack) is over 50lbs. it has fist aid,fire starter,water purifier, tools, I was just wondering how much is really needed? is there anyone who has a real list not for 3 people for 3 days, just one lone hunter. IM going to do a complete list and see if I can shave it down a bit. In the old days just your rifle and knife some beans and hard tack was all they used. and if you could hit some thing with your rifle then eating was good.

Fire starter, cottonballs covered in vasoline, good knife, space blanket, pauncho or a large hd garbage bag, water purification system, para cord or small rope,visqueen( I know spelled wrong) energy food, super glue, 1st aid kit. You can pack it all in a med sized but pack 5- 10 lbs. You dont need alot to stay alive. 1) warmth/shelter from the elements 2) water 3) food
If you carry a magn fire starter scrape it off and put in a pill bottle before you leave home. they are a great idea, but they suck to use in the wind or when your shaking from being cold.

Anybody wanna do some primitive camping for a weekend this summer with just our B.O.B.'s? It would be good practice for survival skills and probably fun too.

This is a good go anywhere kit... http://www.equipped.com/drperskit.htm

I have talked about this idea before here. A buddy and I have been planning a trip like that all winter, and have been buying gear and getting set up for it. I have eveything I need right now, to get along pretty much indefinately in the woods. We plan on carrying a few back up MRE's, but will try and eat only what we kill or catch. I think doing this a few times a year would be good for everyone who wants to retain their ruggedness, that our government is trying so desparately to strip us of.

As far as what to carry, IMO, here are the essentials:

Water purification: tablets, or micro filter.

Fire starter: wind/water proof matches, magnesium striker ie StrikeForce or Light My Fire, (throw in a bic or two just in case)

Tinder: Vaseline soaked cottonballs, fire wicks(you have to make these yourself, but their easy), laundry lint, chainsawed pine shavings, pine pitch, ect. carried in a few pill bottles.

Knives: One good sized fixed blade, and one nice folder, (add a leathermans, very useful)

Signaling: Small mirror, whisle, ect.

Fishing kit: you can fit everything you need to fish in a pill bottle. Take about 50 ft or more of fishing line, wrap around the pill bottle and tape in place. Inside the pill bottle, put a variety of hooks, sinkers, swivels, ect. you can set one of these up for less than 5 bucks from Bi Mart, and you can add or take away things as you see fit.

Small sewing kit: Some thread, needles, ect.

Medical: small first aid kit including neosporin, bandaids, antibacertial hand wipes, ect.

50-100 feet of REAL 550 para cord: You can find these at most surplus stores and sporting good stores, but beware! Some milspec paracord are NOT rated for 550 pounds of working load. The fake 550 cord only has a working load of about 150 ponds, even though it still has the smaller center cords. You can use this stuff for ALOT of useful things out in the woods. From making shelters, to snares to catch food, to fishing line, to heavy sewing line, the uses are too many to list.

These things are your core kit. You can fit them all into a pretty small pelican hardcase, and they will stay uncrunched and dry. Then find yourself a army surplus alice or molle pouch that will hold your pelican case, that has a good strong covering latch.

To accompany this small kit, a military water canteen, with the canteen cup, cooker stand, and pouch, are great to have all on a military pistol belt. This way you have all the basics covered, and can carry them on your belt at all times, even when you have your backpack off. You'll have the ability to fully sustain yourself just from your belt.

Anything you carry beyond that, in your backpack, is going to be luxury. Tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes and foodstuffs, ect. But beware, you HAVE to limit what you carry, as you can end up packing 60-80 lbs of stuff around, and will likely exhaust anyone who is not in tip top shape.

Yeah, definately pack a side arm and an extra mag, and a good small game dropper like a .410 or a .22lr. That list is just the bare bones basics for me, everything else I carry is a comfort!

Well, IMO, its good to have a separate kit in your rig that includes all that stuff I listed, plus some other obvious additions like road flares, a few MREs, ect.

That kit I listed, I have three or four of those put together and each one cost me between 50 and 80 dollars, but they can be done cheaper depending on what brands you buy. Some of them have different things, and some have redundant things depending on the size of the case and pouch.

Some people use iodine tablets to purify water, and that works for water bourne bacteria, viruses, and giardia. But the really stubborn things like cysts--cryptosporidium- a parasitic intestinal cyst, it will not kill. I use Katadyn Micropur MP1 tabs that kill the cysts as well, or for bigger jobs my Katadyn Hiker Water Filter. Both are field tested and proven products and are sure not to let you down.

Alot of people dont realize also, that if you have no way to make fire to boil, no filter, no tablets, you can still drink water from creeks and streams with RELATIVE safety from waterbourne crud. One way is called a seepage well, and the other is a basic water filtration device that you can easily set up if you know what to carry. If anyone is interested in hearing about these, tell me and Ill post how they work.

I spend ALOT of time reading about, and trial testing survival techniques, and have alot of info I can share if anyone is into seeing me put it here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top