JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-b...ading-to-new-access-policy-says-weyerhaeuser/

Starting August 1st 2014.

This won't be the last either. Pay for access is here to stay. Have fun hunting with everyone and their brother on the remaining public land. Blaze orange has never been more important ;-)

This just might be the last straw for us as far as hunting is concerned--much of the area being closed is where we hunt--cottage grove area especially.

Considering what I see some people doing to their property I can't say I blame them in the least. I would not be surprised if half the money they collected went directly cover the existing overhead costs incurred with public access and the resulting cleanup.
Knowing that they will be reduced public access I will consider hunting in those areas. Right now I won't set foot in heavy use public access areas during hunting season. It's not worth getting shot or shot at.

Timber companys get VERY BIG tax breaks on their land. A big part of this tax break is allowing public access. If they aren't allowing public access then they should have to pay more property taxes. All of the timber companies have been limiting access to forest land in Pacific county over the last few years. A couple have been going as far as leasing "hunting rights" on their ground while still paying near zero taxes. So they get revenue from timber, plus revenue from hunters and the timber companies pay near zero taxes until their trees are harvested. All I'm saying is that if they are going to exclude public access, or even worse sell off access to the highest bidder then they should not be able to get away with paying near zero taxes.

Timber companys get VERY BIG tax breaks on their land. A big part of this tax break is allowing public access. If they aren't allowing public access then they should have to pay more property taxes. All of the timber companies have been limiting access to forest land in Pacific county over the last few years. A couple have been going as far as leasing "hunting rights" on their ground while still paying near zero taxes. So they get revenue from timber, plus revenue from hunters and the timber companies pay near zero taxes until their trees are harvested. All I'm saying is that if they are going to exclude public access, or even worse sell off access to the highest bidder then they should not be able to get away with paying near zero taxes.

I looked through the law and it does not note public access anywhere.

It does note that though the property tax is decreased all of the forest products harvested are tax, don't know the rate. This helps to keep land under timber as opposed to more profitable uses if there was no property tax decrease.

There are lots of places where there was no timber deferment in this country and the land was used for something else, you don't find many forest product dependent manufactures there.

I looked through the law and it does not note public access anywhere.

It does note that though the property tax is decreased all of the forest products harvested are tax, don't know the rate. This helps to keep land under timber as opposed to more profitable uses if there was no property tax decrease.

There are lots of places where there was no timber deferment in this country and the land was used for something else, you don't find many forest product dependent manufactures there.

Grays Harbor County is looking into the feasibility of taxing Weyco, Rayonier, and a few others who have closed off access - supposedly they did make agreements in regards to lower taxes vs access in this area.

If you charge a fee for access to your land, at least in Oregon, you lose the exemption from liability that attaches to free access. If someone slips and falls, the property owner can be sued. I'm sure the "Big W" has thought this through, but it seems to be a more complex decision than it would appear.

Fishermen are getting skrewed too. It's getting to the point that you'll all be packed into a handful of places unless you have the money for a boat.

Its just as bad even if you have a boat. Actually, all these closures and added fees for access began in the late 80's. Its just been a matter of turning the water up slowly so the frog doesnt notice that its now boiling. Needless to say I cant afford it either.......:( Any stories I may tell are from the past. There is no future. Sad if hunting and fishing all are you ever really liked to do. I now have a bunch of guns I never use and likely never will again in Oregon or Wash. When I am tempted to buy a new one I think, " What's the point ? Not gonna ever use it anyway. " I used to shoot hundreds of rounds a week, now I might fire two boxes per year. Usually at some " range " that pisses me off and I go home until I forgt how much we have lost.

Doesnt everyone carry a torch in the back of their trucks ? First time I ever used a winch was on a gate. Worked right good too. Nowdays I'd be too scared to do that. Back then most things were a stern talking to. Today most things go felony very very quickly.

Its just as bad even if you have a boat. Actually, all these closures and added fees for access began in the late 80's. Its just been a matter of turning the water up slowly so the frog doesnt notice that its now boiling. Needless to say I cant afford it either.......:( Any stories I may tell are from the past. There is no future. Sad if hunting and fishing all are you ever really liked to do. I now have a bunch of guns I never use and likely never will again in Oregon or Wash. When I am tempted to buy a new one I think, " What's the point ? Not gonna ever use it anyway. " I used to shoot hundreds of rounds a week, now I might fire two boxes per year. Usually at some " range " that pisses me off and I go home until I forgt how much we have lost.

True most guys in boats are skrewed too. Too many jerks screaming by in sleds, or the clowns who drift down to you to fish the same hole. Of course if you dont have to deal with the fisherman who are jerks, then you have an army of tweekers and heroin addicts looking to loot your vehicle that you parked a quarter mile away.

Your not the only one looking to pack it in. A friend who is a hunter couldn't access his usual stomping ground for the first time ever so he skipped deer season last fall. He said there wasn't even a mention of a fee, the gate was simply closed at both ends and remains that way to this day. I went fishing with Caveman Jim and I got the feeling that he was getting pretty disgusted by the horrible fishing this year (after all the reports told us it would be a record breaking season)

The way things are going it looks like hunting and fishing will be for the aristocracy who can afford guides and the fees

There was a time when I had the balls to cut locks and winch gates out, etc. but I'm too old and too fearful of felony prosecution to do that now. At least I can take my guns out from time to time and look at them and remember the good old days. My dad told me this was coming......in the early 70's. From a wonderful place that is now behind locked gates. Ironically I think its even state land. He didnt live to see it but I did. Thats a legacy no man wants to leave behind for his kids. If were lucky we might get to keep most of our guns. For awhile. At which point I will fight and die and go out like a man at least. Why not ? No reason at that point not to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top