JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I usually hike Weyerhaeuser lands. Lots of gates were good for hiking as long as you did not stay overnight. Day use was A OK. Last time out I noticed a new sign on one of the areas I usually hike. It stated "Permit required for ALL access".

I know they sell hunting access permits, which allow for use of their property for hunting during normal seasons. This is the first I have heard of them restricting their property for recreational hiking.

Anyone have anymore information on this or where and how I can get a permit?

Thanks!

Reno911

<broken link removed>

You can get a "walk-in only" permit (no vehicle use) for $50. For vehicular access to their lands using their roads was $200 last year. The $200 deal included up to two cords of firewood.

Check out their FAQ's for starters and look for the current permit prices. I know for certain that a permit is required for ALL use on their lands. No target shooting allowed.

Also read the language in each type of permit. It explains what you can and cannot do.

Anyone know if the MR tree farm out near Joyce, WA has the same sort of deal? I know they sell hunting passes but I'm looking for access to hike/pick a few berries here and there. Tried emailing them but no reply.
Also, natty bumpo- I love your username! Haven't heard anyone tell a natty bumpo story in a long time!

Did some more googlefu to find out that they are really F'ing is over now.

Limits on permits for certain areas. Most of them sold out.

What the hell.

Seriously some bogus crap.

Furthest I've hike one of there properties was close to 18 miles in Never saw a sole. Ya, they are certainly using these lands for a lot!

Now I need to pay per area?

Goodbye free America. This will seriously drag me down a bit.

Our government selling our state owned land, land belonging to the people, to big corporations, adding in lots of incentives for them that we will never see, then they bend us over and F us without the courtesy of spitting first.

I'm starting to understand why folks talk about Weyerhaeuser with such disdain.

Screw 'em. There is plenty of land out there that doesn't belong to Weyco. Might not do any good but there are a few of us writing our reps and county commissioners in the hopes they can do something. Pisses me off to no end that they are profiting off the wild game that our hunting fees have gone towards conserving and locking some of us out of certain areas completely

<broken link removed>
Security Check Required (https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWunited/)

Last Edited:
That's BS. They just know they can make a buck out of it.
I'm sure they had a lot of people hunting on their land and just saying they were hiking, or camping and leaving a mess.
Either way if you own thatmuch land you can eat steaming poo if you think I'm paying a dime to walk on free America.

If I ever win the lotto I'm going to buy all the land I can get a hold of

I dont have an issue with private land ownership but I have a huge issue with corporate private land ownership. There is a lot more corporate land there I assumed. I will never pay to play outdoors in free America, I have no problem with logging this company should be paying for logging permits on public lands.

here is a link to an interactive map showing public land status overlaid on a topo map you can zoom in and out. I use this to plan my outdoor recreation. Yellow = BLM, Blue = State forest, Green = National forest...
Map Produced By Gmap4 | Enhanced Google Map Viewer (https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=45.521142,-122.819596&z=9&t=t1,State_park,Land_ownership&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/state/OR/OR_public_land_boundary.txt)

I wont patronize Wayerhouser or any other corporation that has millions to buy up lands for profit.

I dont have an issue with private land ownership but I have a huge issue with corporate private land ownership. There is a lot more corporate land there I assumed. I will never pay to play outdoors in free America, I have no problem with logging this company should be paying for logging permits on public lands.

here is a link to an interactive map showing public land status overlaid on a topo map you can zoom in and out. I use this to plan my outdoor recreation. Yellow = BLM, Blue = State forest, Green = National forest...
Map Produced By Gmap4 | Enhanced Google Map Viewer (https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=45.521142,-122.819596&z=9&t=t1,State_park,Land_ownership&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/state/OR/OR_public_land_boundary.txt)

I wont patronize Wayerhouser or any other corporation that has millions to buy up lands for profit.
Weyerhaeuser is the corporate grandchild of the Northern Pacific Railroad which received several million acres in federal land grants that have ended up being owned by mostly their subsidiary timber companies. There are conditions that came along with those grants and ownership has been revoked in the past due to violations of those conditions. Some of those conditions concern the management of what is in effect a public trust. It's time to examine whether preferential treatment of these corporations is still a reasonable idea.

Sorry guys, but it's private property and not public. They can do with it as they please, just like you can with yours. If you don't want to pay the fee, that's up to you.

Thanks for that link. I've been looking for a mapping program that did public forests forever

How do you figure?

My concern is always the bigger picture. Corrupt corporations who own corrupt politicians. I have no concerns with what people do with private land, but I have zero trust of them not putting their bottom line over the public.

They spend over $3million lobbying in some years. If you look into the bills they are lobbying against it includes things like immigration (H-2b visa program). Though I dont know the details I doubt they are lobbying for more jobs for Americans.

Lobbying Spending Database - Weyerhaeuser Co, 2016 | OpenSecrets (https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000000430&year=2016)

If you look at Weyerhausers methodology of how they manage their private lands, it is clear that profit takes precedence over good stewardship and sustainable, which it is their land so they can do what they want. But it is not what is best for the current ecosystems in Western Oregon and Washington.

They have pretty much take all the timber off they can at this point, and they process very little dimensional lumber. It is pretty much all pulp wood and low value logs shipped raw over seas. They intend to cut every bit of it and then sell out cheap to somebody who wants to hold it for 70 years. They are starting as close to the mill and docks as possible and will move out from there. I was told there are over 300 trucks a day running into the Longview yard.

Strip mining of the resource at its best. Their land yes, but the overall management scheme is based upon extracting the most they can and then walking away and leaving gypo loggers and truckers with out any work. They will leave the forests replanted, but then unmanaged for the next 20 years and that will result in another crop of low value mono culture stands, with no value as dimensional lumber, and the cycle will repeat itself with pulp logs and trash wood.

You're wrong on all accounts.

If you look at Weyerhausers methodology of how they manage their private lands, it is clear that profit takes precedence over good stewardship and sustainable, which it is their land so they can do what they want. But it is not what is best for the current ecosystems in Western Oregon and Washington.

They have pretty much take all the timber off they can at this point, and they process very little dimensional lumber. It is pretty much all pulp wood and low value logs shipped raw over seas. They intend to cut every bit of it and then sell out cheap to somebody who wants to hold it for 70 years. They are starting as close to the mill and docks as possible and will move out from there. I was told there are over 300 trucks a day running into the Longview yard.

Strip mining of the resource at its best. Their land yes, but the overall management scheme is based upon extracting the most they can and then walking away and leaving gypo loggers and truckers with out any work. They will leave the forests replanted, but then unmanaged for the next 20 years and that will result in another crop of low value mono culture stands, with no value as dimensional lumber, and the cycle will repeat itself with pulp logs and trash wood.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top