JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spent the better part of 60++ years hunting that whole area. Always left it clean and it really pizzes me off what they are doing. I don't think their enemy list being built will do them well.
Many of these companies out there anymore are British owned or foreign money backed anymore. also.
That leaves a very bitter taste with me and most people I know.

Plenty of forest to do so in. Might take a longer drive or a harder hike.

I have said this before, I am torn by their choice as it's their property and I am very respect of people's private property. I don't want people on my land.
I know. I look at it different than a ranch or farm, or family land. I'm not causing issues. I'm helping solve the very big issue of deer chewing on young trees and killing them nearly. I'm obviously making excuses, but I just don't see the issue. Wait till federal land outlaws hunting. Many people will say no way, I'm going in anyways.

No way I'm ever paying a access fee.....starting buying out of state points this year in anticipation of being locked out eventually. ODFW needs to prepare for more revenue loss in the coming years. F'n Greed.

Plenty of forest to do so in. Might take a longer drive or a harder hike.

I have said this before, I am torn by their choice as it's their property and I am very respect of people's private property. I don't want people on my land.

That's the rub......the land was "stolen" from the public trust in a sense. These timber companies simply bought the timber rights back in the day and somehow over decade upon decade the control of the land rights was transferred to them (probably paid for politicians). Any and all remaining tax breaks should be revoked that come from public access to "their" lands.......again F'n Greed!

Just for perspective, in early America it was customary for hunters to have access to all uncultivated private land.

The liberty to hunt on unenclosed private land was even inscribed in the constitution of some states, such as Vermont.

In many countries, hunters and hikers have access to all wild private land:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Again, not saying one law is better, but historically the public has had access to most forest land, whether private or public.

This might get your panties in a bunch. Hancock will be strictly walk in only this year. Don't know anything about charging fees for access. Something doesn't seem quite about them making you pay to gain access to game animals that you paid for with your license fees and tax on sporting goods. We own the animals, not the timber companies.

Opening day of buck season in NE Oregon, somebody didn't get that message (or read the big sign on the gate) about Hancock land being walk-in only. Cruised his four wheeler way back and then went onto closed USFS roads.

He wasn't there the next day, so maybe the possible ODFW or OSP low altitude plane buzzing back and forth Saturday afternoon and all Sunday morning across the area scared him off.

The type of person who says they don't care about private property rights and will hunt on other people's property anyway, seem to have an over-inflated sense of self-entitlement. No different than a car thief stealing a nice car because he wants to drive it.

Last Edited:
Just for perspective, in early America it was customary for hunters to have access to all uncultivated private land.

The liberty to hunt on unenclosed private land was even inscribed in the constitution of some states, such as Vermont.

In many countries, hunters and hikers have access to all wild private land:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Again, not saying one law is better, but historically the public has had access to most forest land, whether private or public.

I'm not crazy bout the freedom to roam idea, whether unenclosed or not. If you're a landowner, people are always trying to get permission to get on your land to hunt or pick mushrooms or gather firewood. It'd be nice to always say yes, but in this day and age doing so can expose you to potential liability, such as if they get injured on your property, or accidentally start a fire that gets out of control, etc. Sometimes, however, they tell you after the fact they shot a buck on your property.

They're running a pilot program now, to see how it goes. I'm sure all their lands will be pay for access eventually. They seem to be doing their homework too, and charging a premium for great hunting area's. $550 a month will buy a lot of beef, not worth it to me personally. I won't pay it,,,

Story I heard is, in the SE CONUS, weyerhaueser charges for access on all their land. Big wigs came up here and thought they were crazy here, allowing access for free, missing out on big money. So, changes are being made,,,

wait tell there's no hunters and the Elk and Deer are eating all of there young trees.

So they made good on their word. The Abiqua Basin now has a $200 fee to hunt this year.

I didn't buy the permit. But it looks like over 200 have been sold. Anyone here buy it? What's your take? Worth it or no? Less traffic?

So they made good on their word. The Abiqua Basin now has a $200 fee to hunt this year.

I didn't buy the permit. But it looks like over 200 have been sold. Anyone here buy it? What's your take? Worth it or no? Less traffic?
Did I? Nope. When Hell freezes over, maybe.
Their property that surrounds our place is easier to hunt, for the most part, than the National Forest, but I'll not pay them. I will hunt a little harder in the more difficult terrain that surrounds their boundaries.

Wayerhaeuser can only access one section of their land through our property. I thought about using that for leverage to gain access to their land for free, but feel so strongly against them charging people to hunt their land that I didn't. I will, however, bend the ear of their chief forester next time I see him.

Until then..

F-em, yes the big "F-em" to Wayerhaeuser.

Ok here's my best advice for the very desperate but determined and of course faithful. Big black tail bucks are located on or near farms or country properties.
They hope up in the forest about 100-400 yards during the day, and come down to the grassy fields at night. Specially near apple trees.

Focus on permission, and get a bow, or shotgun.

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads