JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I heard and confirmed on the Weyerhaeuser website that they recently acquired Longview Fiber company. I'm pretty sure Longview owns much of the Abiqua Basin Hunter Access lands up by Silverton. Anyone have any info if Weyerhaeuser will continue to give hunters access?

I tried to call ODFW and got a voicemail recording so I left a message.

I heard about this in June and shortly after that (within the hour) talked to one of their foresters. I doubt that we'll see any change in hunter access, unless they decide to make it non-motor vehicle access in the future. Right now the land that used to be Longview is posted "Closed due to extreme fire danger", at least the gates I passed Sunday.

This might get your panties in a bunch. Hancock will be strictly walk in only this year. Don't know anything about charging fees for access. Something doesn't seem quite about them making you pay to gain access to game animals that you paid for with your license fees and tax on sporting goods. We own the animals, not the timber companies.

I don't mind walking nearly much as paying, lol. Still, if they did change the abiqua basin to walk in only this year I would have been devastated. My father in-law introduced me to hunting and he is experiencing renal and liver failure, sadly this could be his last trip in the woods as a hunter. Already has his disabled hunter permit and I was planning on helping him hunt in his favorite stomping grounds.

I also heard today that many areas will be closed due to fire danger, unless we get significant rainfall before the start of archery season. I am already planning alternate areas to hunt, but remain hopeful I can hunt my preferred unit.

Last couple years in the Basin has sucked anyway. As to us owning the animals well THEY OWN THE LAND which has been private timber land since the mid 1800's

Starting to hear rumors about them wanting to charge $$$ for access to their lands. We will see I guess,,,

I just got some info from a guy in the know from my former line of work. There is a very good chance that this will be the last year to hunt for free on Weyerhauser land, at least around here. Expect them to require a permit in 2014 and it won't be cheap

My Dad, a retired forester with his hands still in the industry, said that Weyerhaeuser has a parcel out of Molalla that they have been charging entry fees for. He also said it was not very expensive. I need to chat with one of the foresters that used to work for Longview and now works for Weyerhaeuser. If he doesn't have the answer, I'm sure he can direct me who to ask. I'll try to do this very soon and post back.

Bringing this one back.

It is no longer speculation. Weyerhaeuser is charging a pretty penny in most areas. $550 a month for access in Molalla. Ouch! Heard in town they will be doing the same to the Abiqua basin next year.

Anyone heard anything about that? Or has anyone on here paid for a permit? Do you feel it's worth it?

I can't find the thread you started about the Abiqua basin.

Weyerhaeuser is not charging there yet. But I heard rumors in Silverton that they are planning to do so next year. Any truth to that?
Don't worry about, I didn't mean it as anything more then stating the fact I found the same thing out a few months ago. The thread was regarding Weyerhauser fees.

They're running a pilot program now, to see how it goes. I'm sure all their lands will be pay for access eventually. They seem to be doing their homework too, and charging a premium for great hunting area's. $550 a month will buy a lot of beef, not worth it to me personally. I won't pay it,,,

Story I heard is, in the SE CONUS, weyerhaueser charges for access on all their land. Big wigs came up here and thought they were crazy here, allowing access for free, missing out on big money. So, changes are being made,,,

Well I am sure that when those big wigs don't get any body to pay the stupid fee's they will know why its not a great idea around here.

Our fancy income locals are into mountain biking and kayaking more then hunting. (I.E. the Portland crowd)

I just got some info from a guy in the know from my former line of work. There is a very good chance that this will be the last year to hunt for free on Weyerhauser land, at least around here. Expect them to require a permit in 2014 and it won't be cheap
I just hunt it anyways. Never got caught. Screw them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top