JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hope the state removes the special lower property tax rate for them - they get a break since they can only harvest every few decades. Now that they are making money on the property from other than tree harvesting they shouldn't get the tax break. With a little luck they would loose money on the deal.

Not likely. If their attorneys are worth their salt, they've already tied up this loose end. Maybe they've already determined their cut. Of the mountain of citations that will be issued this fall, that is. I assume WDFW will be enforcing this. Gonna need more tan trucks.

Just checked their website and found they are offering permits to their property outside of Molalla for $550 a MONTH. I am on the fence. Part of me is furious as the animals on their land are the states (by definition of law). However I do have a great respect for people's property rights, so I am torn.

... and no camping, no camp fires, no motorized vehicles on many roads, no target shooting, no this, no that, and on and on. No thanks, No thanks, No thanks and No thanks.

Oh, and you're also required to buy their new access parking permit for $150! No thanks, No thanks, No thanks, No thanks....

But, in the US, they own the land, so it's their call.

As I understand it, a big reason for the fees and rules is because of the trash people dumped on their land, along with the cost of habitat preservation. Perhaps there are other issues involved that I'm not aware of.

Too bad they don't offer to trade some clean up hours for hunting rights. I bet we'd have a lot of hunters working at keeping their land in good shape!

Weyerhaeuser (/ˈwɛrˌhaʊzər/ or /ˈweɪərˌhaʊzər/) is one of the world's largest private owners of timberlands. It owns or controls more than 6 million acres of timberlands, primarily in the U.S., and manages another 14 million acres under long-term licenses in Canada. It is also one of the largest manufacturers of wood and cellulose fibers products, and it develops real estate, primarily as a builder of single-family homes. Weyerhaeuser Company is a real estate investment trust.[2]

Saw this story recently;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...gILQDw&usg=AFQjCNHSxt4ZRXpSjrHJiuE158SZ1zM06A

Longview area has a $150 permit fee that's good from Aug to Jan.

Here's a little part of the St. Helens Tree Farm info;

"Access to over 52,000 acres of the St. Helens Tree Farm will still be available without a permit and managed as in the recent past, for example our large Yacolt block in Clark County or the Mosquito Creek area, which will continue as non-motorized access only..."

RV, I didn't believe the $550 PER MONTH. So I looked it up. That's what it says for Molalla! Better hurry, they go on sale June 24th and only 40 permits per month!

Here's the link to check for fees and rules at their locations in OR and WA.

https://www.wyrecreationnw.com/

I had heard the 150 thrown around and thought it was quite high. But I figured for a hunting season, if I didn't get drawn for any tags (thinks about checking to see if results are in:rolleyes:), it maybe a worth while investment, seeing as I could use the area outside Molalla for Deer and Elk and maybe try my hand at bear this year. I was going to look into it and see if they were for individuals, or if two people could go in on one. Once I saw the $550 a month, I was done.

Draw results are still pending BTW

From what i read you can't even walk in without a permit in certain areas.

This is so wrong hopefully no buddy is stupid enough to buy into this other wise all the tree farms will start doing this and we all might as well kiss hunting goodby as more over crowding of public lands leading to more hunting accidents less people wanting to hunt and leading to less recreational gun owners and eventually less gun rights.

I can understand a reasonable fee. but this is a outrage .

I have always supported the timber industry because of the ability to hunt the land, but if this is the case time to start hugging some trees and save the spotted owls .

Last Edited:
From what i read you can't even walk in without a permit in certain areas.

This is so wrong hopefully no buddy is stupid enough to buy into this other wise all the tree farms will start doing this and we all might as well kiss hunting goodby as more over crowding of public lands leading to more hunting accidents less people wanting to hunt and leading to less recreational gun owners and eventually less gun rights.

This is where I have a hard time with it. It's private property and you should be able to close your property to the public. I am sure Weyerhaeuser property gets dumped on, their equipment gets vandalized and stolen and the access they allow is abused by the minority. Right now I can buy over 37000 acres of hunting and fishing property in Umatilla county. 37000 acres that is closed to the public and remains closed to the public, but I don't bat an eye lash about it, it's private property. They're games animals on the 37000 acres as well and guess what, if I owned it one of the last thing I would want is the general public walking all over it.

I feel like I am getting upset about this because it's in my back yard. But, when I put myself in Weyerhaeusers shoes I do get a bit of an understanding of why they did it. Frankly I don't think it's to make money. WH's net income in 2013 was $563 million, so I doubt the $264,000 they could (but won't) make off the Molalla permit's is a drop in the bucket. Regardless, it's their land if this is how they choose to use it, so be it. If we don't like it, we really need to stop complaining about it here, band together (their is quite the fervor on the outdoor boards about this) and take it up with our local and state legislatures.

If it's not so much the money, then it must be the trash and vandalism.

What if we, NWFA, proposed a deal with them. Hunting rights in exchange for keeping their land cleaned up. Volunteer workers get first choice hunting rights. The more hours you put in, the more hunting days you get. Those who don't volunteer would have to pay for any other openings.

Perhaps it should also include a Forest Watch program where we patrol, observe and report offenses.

Would they go for something like this? Would we? It would be a year round commitment on our part.

It would be quite a partnership.

I understand what you are saying about it being private property. It is their land and they have that right. The people vandalizing their land are not so much the hunters with the exception of the morons that leave a trail of beer cans. Hunters rarely are the type to go in and leave trash . So i do understand charging a fee to get in just for the sake covering the cost of knowing who is in there and when.

I am upset that from what i read this also applies to non motorized which means the hunters that walk in are no longer allowed . Its not like a hunter is going to hike 5 miles in to dump trash or shoot up machinery.

I understand what you are saying about it being private property. It is their land and they have that right. The people vandalizing their land are not so much the hunters with the exception of the morons that leave a trail of beer cans. Hunters rarely are the type to go in and leave trash . So i do understand charging a fee to get in just for the sake covering the cost of knowing who is in there and when.

I am upset that from what i read this also applies to non motorized which means the hunters that walk in are no longer allowed . Its not like a hunter is going to hike 5 miles in to dump trash or shoot up machinery.
Very true. I wouldn't be mad about the fee system if a person could walk in without paying. I think that's how it at least should be.

When Weyehaeuser bought Longview Timber Company land, they acquired 660,ooo acres. Longview was friendly to sportsmen. Weyehaeuser is friendly to wealthy sportsmen...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top