JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Town hall meeting 7/24 6:30 pm, in the Toutle Lake school cafeteria. Inconvenient location to keep most people away, but I'll be there. I'm a big fan of private property rights, but when WH gets a big business tax break for allowing access to its land, Then restricts or closes access, then it's time for the tax break to go away.

Anyone else going to try to make the meeting?

Awesome, Brent! Darn that's next Thursday evening. I'd like to know what their big reasons are for the fees. Is it because of trash and destruction?

I'd also like to know if they are open to alternative options, other than fees or closing land. (hint... Volunteers do the clean ups and reporting). We have over 35,000 members on NWFA, and I'm sure most of our hunting community, as well as other outdoor enthusiasts, would see the value in that.

Would you try to get some contact info for me?

Thanks for attending this!

Bill

Yeah, I noticed that. That's too bad. I wonder, what kind of clean up effort was proposed? Perhaps it needed to be tweaked into something more beneficial to fit their concerns. I don't know what kind of a project they would be interested in until I hear more of their concerns and expectations. At least they could entertain the idea and be open to project ideas that may fit their needs. It would show that they are making a reasonable effort, as we are, and it would be a good move for them to help better public relations overall.

But to simply reject an offer without further discussion or consideration, if that is the case, says to me 'we don't care' and is not very encouraging to us.

I admit I'm not aware of the previous discussions and decisions, on this issue, and I'm sure (I hope) the clean up idea has been given some good consideration. I'd just like to know why they are not interested and if they would be willing to revisit that issue.

Bill

maybe with all the money taken in for hunting rights, they can use some of if to a little research into why are elk herds are being diminished by hoof rot, witch could be caused by some of the pesticides and herbicides they are using.

I seriously doubt that. More likely they will use the money to prop up a legal defense against anybody making a stink about the hoof rot.

Town Hall meeting went well. Cowlitz Co. Commissioner James Misner did a good job moderating and keeping the focus on track. He gave an overview of previous developments, of the Fee for Access program, which included proposals for volunteer efforts that Weyerhaeuser promply, and firmly, rejected. Misner informed us that Fee for Access, in Cowlitz County, is set in stone for 1 year. It's a done deal. After that, they said they will review the program and consider any new proposals.

Therefore, the purpose of last nights meeting was to gather ideas, comments and suggestions, from the public, as to what we would want in a proposal to Weyerhaeuser next year.

In attendance were about 40 people, primarily hunters, from within Cowlitz County and a few of us from outside the county. We were all disappointed that Weyerhaeuser, even though invited, was a No-Show. Washington State Dept of Fish and Wildlife did not show either.

The fee is $150 per person, (not per vehicle, nor per family, nor per year), and allows 1 person access from Aug to Jan. (Hunting season dates). Does not include a "Non-hunting buddy" or anyone else.

Commissioner Misner asked me to speak, so I presented NWFA, our membership stats, our recent volunteer projects and the agencies we work with. I proposed that since Weyerhaeuser is charging an access fee, we would still offer our volunteer services IF they would apply the hours you work towards a free permit. In addition, we asked that an earned permit be valid at other Tree Farm lands in Oregon and Washington (not only applicable to the land you worked on). That way, if you live in Oregon, and come to work on a Washington project, your earned permit would be valid to access your preferred land in Oregon.

If they will not go for that, No Deal! I will not ask you to work on a project if it is not worth anything to you. I know that our State and Federal projects are well worth our efforts because they are our lands, but on a deal like this, on private land, we will not work for the benefit of the land owner just so they can charge a premium for others to hunt.

I feel this proposal is fair to us and fair to them. Just like when I go to a rancher, or private land owner, and ask "May I hunt on your land? If so, I would be happy to lend a hand, from time to time, by fixing fence, clean up trash, help on a cattle drive or help at branding time. I 'll trade you for that hunting privilege".

So all in all, it was a good meeting. I will be keeping in touch with Commissioner Misner on his proposal to Weyerhaeuser for next year and we'll see where they go at that time. Ya never know.

I think it was well worth the effort to try to get open access to good hunting lands for our NWFA hunters, as well as, we got some more positive exposure for NWFA.

Bill

Posted this also in the forum Section NWFA Volunteer Progam.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top