JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another consideration: when transporting or storing in gun cases, be wary of any moisture accumulated in the case.

A little bit of water soaked into a gun case can go unnoticed, until you pull out the rifle the next day and realize your firearm has been sponging it all up!

Even when being careful, moisture has a way of getting into cases, especially when you go shooting or hunting on a rainy day here in the Pacific Northwest!

I would suggest the following...which can all be had off Amazon for $60-ish, give or take...

Hygrometer (humidity meter)
Golden Rod
Large Container of Desiccant (the kind that changes color when it needs to be refreshed by heating in the oven)

They also make hygrometers that have a sensor that goes into the safe and the unit sits outside the safe. This way you don't have to open the safe (which may upset the environment) and can check the humidity status from the outside.

The meter, however, will give you a good idea of what is actually going on with the environment in your safe. The Golden Rod and desiccant should resolve any problems if you have them. And if you don't have problems, they should keep it that way. There is no such thing as too much rust protection.

I would also suggest giving your guns a good wipe down with either Renaissance Wax or a silicone cloth before you put the guns in the safe. Ren Wax is fantastic stuff, btw, and you'll find tons of uses for it if you don't use it already. A 200 ml can will run you $25-ish on Amazon but it will last you forever.

I would check the humidity status and inspect your guns daily until you're certain you've got a stable environment. Then a weekly check and periodic wipe down with a silicone cloth should be all you need to keep things rust free. Don't forget to monitor the desiccant and pop it in the over when it needs a refresh. :)

Hey everyone.

Before I start I'd like to comment that this community is fantastically helpful and I appreciate all the thoughtful insight and help.

I have recently moved to PDX from a much drier climate. In the moving process I sat staring at guns I've loved for years even decades as the were packed for the move.

I never once thought about dehumidifiers, rust, etc., until I arrived.

Does anyone have any insight into levels of concern I should have or not have?

And, if I should be concerned how one might address that concern?
A simple clip-on light with an aluminum shade and a 60watt bulb is all you need in a safe or cabinet to keep it dry.
that's what I do...
Edit: and put it as low as possible (same with a warming rod) as heat rises.
jmo,
buy:

Buy some Desiccant in bulk. ou put them in your safe or storage compartment.
Oil it well and take care of them. Plus open say monhly or weekly just to ensure hey are safe and not rust. Do this for the first couple months. If its proven you are good to go.

You can recharge in the oven or microwave.
NoteOrange is safer than blue.

1. https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
or
2. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Indi...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top