JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone.

Before I start I'd like to comment that this community is fantastically helpful and I appreciate all the thoughtful insight and help.

I have recently moved to PDX from a much drier climate. In the moving process I sat staring at guns I've loved for years even decades as the were packed for the move.

I never once thought about dehumidifiers, rust, etc., until I arrived.

Does anyone have any insight into levels of concern I should have or not have?

And, if I should be concerned how one might address that concern?

Is your safe indoors or in a climate controlled garage? If so I've had great sucess with just a rod. You can always toss in a desiccant can for good measure. Bi-Mart, TSC, and Sportsmans carry them. I even had a Liberty Lincoln 50 set up with all the above in a uninsulated single car garage for about 3 years and never saw a lick of rust.

Keep them oiled, and if you're in the rain wipe it off when you get to a dry place. Every time you use it wipe it down with oil. I really like the rem wipes. I'm actually thinking on getting a dehumidifier myself but for now I just throw the moisture absorbing bag I come across in the safe.
It is somthing to be concerned about!

Is your safe indoors or in a climate controlled garage? If so I've had great sucess with just a rod. You can always toss in a desiccant can for good measure. Bi-Mart, TSC, and Sportsmans carry them. I even had a Liberty Lincoln 50 set up with all the above in a uninsulated single car garage for about 3 years and never saw a lick of rust.
A rod?

Keep them oiled, and if you're in the rain wipe it off when you get to a dry place. Every time you use it wipe it down with oil. I really like the rem wipes. I'm actually thinking on getting a dehumidifier myself but for now I just throw the moisture absorbing bag I come across in the safe.
It is somthing to be concerned about!
If Im not cleaning a gun after light use I still fire up the compressor and blow all the moisture out before I wipe down or toss anything back in the safe.

Last Edited:
Electric dehumidifying rod. https://www.coastalcountry.com/prod...erty-safe-12-in-dry-rod-dehumidifier-lisa9913

Desiccant can. https://www.coastalcountry.com/prod...afe-750g-desiccant-moisture-absorber-lisa2412

When it comes time to dry the desiccant crystals I use a large cookie pan (not a cookie sheet!!!) lined with foil. Follow the oven temp instructions and when they are all orange let them cool and put them back in the can and back in the safe.
Wow, am I out of my depth.desicant crystals?
Electric dehumidifying rod. https://www.coastalcountry.com/prod...erty-safe-12-in-dry-rod-dehumidifier-lisa9913

Desiccant can. https://www.coastalcountry.com/prod...afe-750g-desiccant-moisture-absorber-lisa2412

When it comes time to dry the desiccant crystals I use a large cookie pan (not a cookie sheet!!!) lined with foil. Follow the oven temp instructions and when they are all orange let them cool and put them back in the can and back in the safe.
I'm so far out of my depth. Desiccant crystals?

Wow, am I out of my depth.desicant crystals?

I'm so far out of my depth. Desiccant crystals?
You already have or are you getting a new gun safe? How can I make it any easier? I provided links above. If your gun safe is indoors a rod will do the job. If you want to toss in a can of dessicant crystals for good measure you are out maybe $60 at the most. It's cheap insurance for keeping the potential for rust at bay.

Last Edited:
How can I make it any easier? I provided links above. If your gun safe is indoors a rod will do the job. If you want to toss in a can of dessicant crystals for good measure you are out maybe $60 at the most. It's cheap insurance for keeping the potential for rust at bay.
Thanks for your help. I didn't connect the second link to the crystals.

I use rechargeable desiccant packs from Eva Dry. They plug into the wall outlet to recharge. Once the indicator window shows orange they go back in the safe.

I left some gun parts out on my garage bench over the last couple weeks. They had surface rust starting on them. Proper storage environment is important in the northwest.

Store them at 50% humidity and in a temperature controlled area if possible. Avoid placing safes directly on concrete where it can act as a heat sink and keep the safe cooler than ambient air. Avoid placing safes against exterior walls. If you have to place it on an exterior wall, leave several inches of space for air circulation between the wall and safe.

Desiccant, safe heating rods and oiling didn't work for me. I tried them all and finally broke down and set up a room dehumidifier with interior safe monitors. Since then I never have had an issue with rust starting.

Desiccant did not last long during high humidity. I have seen them saturate in days.

Safe heating rods only work when there is very little or slow temperature swings in higher humidity. Oregon weather can warm so fast when it is raining, the heating rods can't keep up.

Oiling only works if you can get to every metal part. Oiling is not good for certain firearms that are collector pieces instead of shooters.

A dehumidifier works great if you can't control temperature very well. I have pulled a gallon of water a week from a firearm storage areas with a dehumidifier. Even in the house you can get temperature differentials and stagnant air that causes moisture, especially on exterior walls.

.Desiccant did not last long during high humidity. I have seen them saturate in days.

Safe heating rods only work when there is very little or slow temperature swings in higher humidity.
I had my Lincoln Liberty 50 sitting on concrete and shims in my West Salem garage for 7 years and then on concrete and the same shims in a single car garage, against an uninsulated exterior wall (with only the two products I linked above) for another 3 years. Never a lick of rust! There are lots of moisture variables at play in Oregon. Guess I've had it pretty easy. But I also take alot pride in how I care for my guns outside of the safe and I'm very cognizant of what I store inside my safe.

Last Edited:
If possible, try to locate your safe (assuming you have one) or your guns in a part of your home where there are minimal temperature swings. Mine's is in a daylight basement, with a goldenrod, and I periodically wax my guns with paste wax (Renaissance and/or Johnson's) and wipe them down with a microfiber cloth after handling. I haven't experienced any rust issues with this protocol in my environment in western Oregon.

I have a PEET Dehumidifier for my safe:

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-SafeKeeping-Dehumidifier-Cabinets/dp/B00486U71E

I also have two Eva -dry E-500 renewable dehumidifier:

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-500-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B00BD0FN8A/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2GMBM5QSUEQU3&keywords=eva+dehumidifier&qid=1641448547&sprefix=eve+dehum,aps,218&sr=8-7

I check for rust but have not seen any. I go 4 to 6 months and then I put some lube on my guns. The guns I fire I do some light cleaning and then more through cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

Last Edited:
The only caveat about keeping them dry is wood-stocked rifles. The wood is intended to have a certain degree of moisture. Not a lot, but not dry as a bone either.

In a gadget-driven society, everyone wants a gadget sold to them that solves a problem, often overlooking something right at hand that does the job. Knobs and dials on scopes that exempt the shooter from learning range estimation and drop, predator calls that rival the size of home entertainment systems, camo patterns that go "out of fashion" faster than polyester leisure suits, etc., etc., etc.

Bought my first gun safe 40 years ago. Still have it, and maybe a '"couple" others.

When I buy something (perhaps a "gadget") that comes with a silica gel packet (the size of a fingertip or larger), I toss it in a safe. About once a year, I assemble them all to dry in the oven for a "re-charge". No gadgety indicator needed, just dry 'em for awhile.

My guns are cleaned and oiled before storage, with a finishing touch of Johnson's (or Minwax) Paste Wax polished off.

NEVER any rust. Not saying the gadgets don't work. Just that they aren't the only reliable (along with easier and cheaper) solution.

Edited to add: Of late, I have been adding a bag of six gun-socks to any Midway order, and this has nearly eliminated one of the greatest sources of wear and tear my guns suffer: Going in and out of the gun safe. They are silicone treated, so offer another layer of corrosion protection.

Wait: is that a gadget?

Last Edited:
A simple clip-on light with an aluminum shade and a 60watt bulb is all you need in a safe or cabinet to keep it dry.
that's what I do...
Edit: and put it as low as possible (same with a warming rod) as heat rises.
jmo,

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads