JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took a class at OFA on Saturday. Throughout the day, my pockets were filled with hand-fulls of 9mm FMJ ammo. Somehow, one round got left in my pocket and went through the wash. So my question is this - would you just toss that round, or might it be okay to shoot?

Honestly, I'm fine tossing or unloading the round, hardly a cost issue. But it just got my wondering if these cartridges are water tight enough to keep water out after 45 minutes or so submerged. Maybe the broader question is whether or not any ammo needs to be tossed after it gets submerged. I don't recall reading anything on the subject.

At least it is bright and shiny now ;)

Thoughts?

It will probably be fine. I'm assuming it was one of your, but if it's a NATO round, it should have a primer seal and the crimp should be good to go.

Is there a chance it does something else???
Maybe a hang fire or a bang! instead of a BANG!

My only concern is a little bang, followed by a blocked barrel. Probably won't happen, but it is a minor concern.

It will probably be fine. I'm assuming it was one of your, but if it's a NATO round, it should have a primer seal and the crimp should be good to go.

It's off the shelf stuff - I think it's PMC.

Shoot it. By itself. Then check the chamber accordingly. I'd bet a few bucks it will go bang like all the others. If you don't want to try it, give it to me.

I took a big tumble over huntin elk and lost a leather pouch with with 10 rounds of .338 Lapua. During the fall my pack rolled downhill and right into the ice cold creek. I didn't notice the missing pouch for a few days. I fished it out after 3 days.
All my hunting rounds are reloads, I didn't seal the primers.. All 10 rounds still went boom!
I honestly didn't think they would...

This gun had been left outside for at least three years when I got it. There was still a round in the chamber when this picture was taken. After getting the gun apart and cleaned up I tumbled the 7 rounds that were in it for about a half an hour and then shot them. 6 of the seven went BANG and one was silent. I think yours will go BANG!!

WP_20141007_003.jpg

This gun had been left outside for at least three years when I got it. There was still a round in the chamber when this picture was taken. After getting the gun apart and cleaned up I tumbled the 7 rounds that were in it for about a half an hour and then shot them. 6 of the seven went BANG and one was silent. I think yours will go BANG!!

View attachment 289354

Looks like my old Ruger P89 - minus all the rust of course. I sold it some time ago, but sometimes I still miss it. I actually carried that monster for a time.

Edit - maybe that's a P90 - I didn't look closely enough to notice the single stack magazine.

I had a mag of 380 go thru the washing machine. Like you I was worried if the rounds were still fireable. Took to the range and they all went bang. These were rounds for my carry gun, I would never trust these abused rounds for that purpose. Bought new replacements.

I had a mag of 380 go thru the washing machine. Like you I was worried if the rounds were still fireable. Took to the range and they all went bang. These were rounds for my carry gun, I would never trust these abused rounds for that purpose. Bought new replacements.

I would agree that I wouldn't carry any ammo subjected to such treatment, but re-purposing as range ammo is good. I hate the thought of wasting any ammo.

A few years ago I watched a yt video on how to discard loose amunition (soak in water or motor oil). I took a few of my reloads and soaked it in water for a couple days, then shot it. It all fired but I noticed that they shot differently too. It felt like it had an extra grain of power...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top