JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks koda, I was considering the siuslaw NF but I didn't want to have to drive so far. Maybe I will go over the later in the season. I haven't be out in the woods in the coast range in quite some time. Are there many clear cuts or will it be mostly thick brush hunting?

I havent been out behind Alsea in many years but there has never been a shortage of clearcuts anywhere Ive been in the coast range.

since youve been scouting already in the Cascades (Willamette NF presumably) I would suggest not giving up on that.... you already know where youve seen the least sign you just need to keep stomping around the woods until you do find fresh sign. keep moving around until you do. Find a clearcut with good visibility and hike the permiter to the farthest point from easy (human) access and poke around in the timber there, look for sign and rubs. If you find that magic spot set up near by just befor daybreak and wait till legal shooting hours. hunt the timber, brush in the afternoons...

good luck. it isnt easy and deer are much harder to hunt than elk. Hunting public lands isnt going to be sucessful every year, I think the average sucess rate is only about 18%... you just gotta enjoy being out there.

I'm going out scouting this weekend in the cascades, the prediction of rain on Saturday may help out a bit. Anyone seeing much bear sign?

Yeah, I saw bear prints and droppings in the Willamette NF.
I have a bear tag and was tempted to track it but i got lazy and sat on the ridge and glassed some more. :D
A reliable source told me there are tons of bears near Grants Pass, east of I-5. He even let me have a gander at his scouting videos of a few bears.

I wish like hell I could do a little hunting/scouting this weekend instead of going to an utterly boring family gathering.

Gads, as I get older I hate going to her dad's place any more. I have absolutely nothing in common with the man. And he hates guns.

I wish like hell I could do a little hunting/scouting this weekend instead of going to an utterly boring family gathering.

Gads, as I get older I hate going to her dad's place any more. I have absolutely nothing in common with the man. And he hates guns.

Sounds like you need to take him hunting. :D

Well, in the morning I'm off to do some more hunting in the santiam... should be very soggy. I have a few days off work, and a clear cut with some sign in it to work over. I hope this rain, wind, and temp drop on monday/Tuesday helps out the deer situation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top