JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
West Salem man arrested on suspicion of stealing $12k for 'prepping' gear, guns
Whitney M. Woodworth , Statesman Journal Published 2:15 p.m. PT May 17, 2017 | Updated 7:36 p.m. PT May 17, 2017
TWEETLINKEDIN 2 COMMENTEMAILMORE
A West Salem man was arrested on suspicion of stealing more than $12,000 from a local drywall business to fund a new business venture and buy "prepping" gear, guns and ammunition.

Lannan Nusbaum, 34, was arrested Friday on an aggravated theft charge for allegedly using the business' card to purchase $12,571 in goods and services over a six-month period.

A probable cause statement filed in Polk County gave the following account:

The owner of the Faville Drywall, Nusbaum's father-in-law, reported the alleged theft to law enforcement after he noticed money missing from his business account. He had hired Nusbaum to handle his bookkeeping two years ago and paid little attention to his books because he trusted his son-in-law.

After a vendor contacted the owner about a late payment, he took a look at his business's finances and found a large about of missing money.

A closer look revealed several unauthorized purchases made at Sportsman's Warehouse and online business websites.

The owner told investigators Nusbaum was an avid "prepper" — a survivalist who actively prepares, stocks up and trains for emergencies and disasters — and had recently been stocking up on firearms, ammunition and tactical gear.

Nusbaum was also in the midst of trying to start an online marketing business.

Investigators spoke to Nusbaum who admitted taking the money. He said he saw it as more of a loan to get his business up and running, even though the owner did not give him permission to take the money. Nusbaum said he was unable to pay the money back.

He also admitted to buying prepping items from stores and online. He said he "knew it was wrong but justified the purchases in his head by thinking he was helping the family prepare for a disaster."

Nusbaum was arrested, taken to Polk County Jail and held on $25,000 bail.

His next hearing is scheduled for May 18 and a trial is set for 9:30 a.m. on July 5.

For questions, comments and news tips, email reporter Whitney Woodworth at [email protected], call 503-399-6884 or follow on Twitter @wmwoodworth

Geez, can't some people wait until *after* TEOTWAWKI to go thieving Road Warrior? Now the guy can practice his survival skills in prison fending off unwanted love interests.

You know where the story is going when you hear the words
"I trusted my son-in-law". :eek:

I understand the need and the feel to prep and the want to buy ammo and guns. Shoot I think we all do.

But stealing is jacked up earn your way or borrow the money. I mean shoot he's your father in law just ask him for the money.:confused:

Just home after shift (vy vy "challenging!")...got to thinking on this story a bit more.

Stealing from family! (In laws are family) ... my gosh ... turn that fellow out.

No excuse for stealing.

Ever.

Last Edited:
Something tells me if we see this guy he's wearing an "operator" beard and a dazed look of confusion.

Hah! I wasn't too far off! I'll bet his plate carrier is large enough to protect a whole family!

Something tells me if we see this guy he's wearing an "operator" beard and a dazed look of confusion.

Pic of him in the statesman article. It didn't cross over when I cut & pasted it. Dunno why.

west%20salem%20prepper_zpsagro160z.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR