JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My buddy's wife wife is the Inventory Manager at West Marine Supply Store.
They are a Nationwide Chain with several stores here in Washington.
She was directed to pull all flare guns from the shelves as of today's date, as a result of the new gun law I-594 going live today.
Flare Guns? Really?

Idiocy? Yes!

I can only assume that all other places who sell flare guns will have to do the same?
Cabelas, Harbor Marine, Bass Pro-Shops, etc. etc. etc.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Under WA law, flare guns have long been considered a firearm. I-594 just made people realize it.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

If you live in Washington, Bass Pro shop will be breaking the law if they ship it after i594 goes into effect.

Actually they are already in violation even BEFORE 594 went into affect as I posted earlier. You should read RCW 9.41's definitions before modified by 594.

Previous to I-594 it reads:
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.

Last Edited:
Actually they are already in violation even BEFORE 594 went into affect as I posted earlier. You should read RCW 9.41's definitions before modified by 594.

Previous to I-594 it reads:
Legally,By Federal definition (And Yes WA definition as well)
They are a PYROTECHNIC Launcher,NOT A Firearm.
If converted to fire any type of standard rifle,Shotgun ,Or pistol ammo that's another story.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Legally,By Federal definition (And Yes WA definition as well)
They are a PYROTECHNIC Launcher, NOT A Firearm.
If converted to fire any type of standard rifle,Shotgun ,Or pistol ammo that's another story.
Please go read the definitions contained in RCW 9.41, (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010) it doesn't matter what you THINK the law says.

The LEGAL definition of a firearm in WA is and has been for years:
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder."
And a flare gun or concrete nail gun fits the legal definition and has for many years here in WA. It's just the with 594 in place people (well some anyway) are finally reading the law.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

When was the last time ANYONE filled out a 4473 for a flare launcher???

You can read whatever you want into the law.
They are not firearms.

They are NOT a firearm as defined by the gun control act,Unless converted to fire CONVENTIONAL Ammunition.

There is a section in the ATF handbook for dealers that deal's with:
"Converting pyrotechnic launchers into DD's or SBS's"

02/07 ffl

According to that law quoted, fireworks would also be considered firearms, no? It depends on who is reading/interpreting the law and with what motive.

(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder."

According to that law quoted, fireworks would also be considered firearms, no? It depends on who is reading/interpreting the law and with what motive.

Fireworks are exempted in the RCW, as posted elsewhere in the forum.

Flare guns and nail guns are not.

What a piece of dodo law! The truth of what it holds needs to be flushed into the light of day and then repealed. I'm sure that 90% of the folks that voted for it didn't read a word of the actual law. We Oregonians need to fight the move to put this same pile on us!

What a piece of dodo law! The truth of what it holds needs to be flushed into the light of day and then repealed. I'm sure that 90% of the folks that voted for it didn't read a word of the actual law. We Oregonians need to fight the move to put this same pile on us!
You guys are going to have a fight on your hands. Don't let it sneek up on you in Oregon like we did here in Washington.
"TAKU" here at NWFA seems to be pretty active in your state about fighting the similar law coming to Oregon

I joined Oregon Firearms Federation cause they seem to know how to deal with the political machine in Salem. I didn't see the NRA help Washington and I don't expect them to help here either. Hope I'm wrong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top