Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Soren, May 19, 2013.

1. Soren

Soren Beaverton, Oregon Active Member

Went to the gun show yesterday at the Portland Expo center. It wasn't a complete waste of time and money, but close. The last gun show I went to was probably 12 or 13 years ago or so. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that gun shows were going to be like this huge garage sale/swap meet full of unusual used guns, new guns and accessories for really good prices. Wellllll... it wasn't. Most of the guns for sale were new and more expensive than going to most retailers. Ammo prices were outrageous. My wife did find a new conceal carry purse that she really likes for a decent price. I picked up the latest edition "Blue Book Of Gun Values" for a little bit less than ordering one online.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

I ate some of the "Thrive" freeze dried food they were selling and it was pretty good:). That was abou the extent of the good deals I found

3. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Its a Gun Show, not a gun sale...sometimes you can find a bargain on things like Garand clips and bullet moulds, but for the most part, you pay more than retail for some items. And of course, a lot of the tables are survival food, concealed carry purses and the like.

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Stopped in today just for grins. Saw nothing of interest. I did note that a few dealers with expensive bulk 22 ammo were crossing out prices and lowering them. For the time I was there I doubt it helped. Didn't see a single person walking out with or even carrying around a brick of 22. Eat it gougers.

5. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I like going and to simply look at everything and everyone. to anyone who has seen an episode of Duck Dynasty will tell you, there were alot of Uncle Psys there on Saturday at least. I did buy a new mouse gun, a sig p238 which I am very happy with and I may have to sell of my G27 to buy a 938 for a carry pistol.

Yeah,the gunshows are expensive to go to with parking and admission but id rather spend 3 to 4 hours there then pay that and sit in a movie theater.

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

They did the show in Centralia too,I believe.
    It was fun. I found a twin to one of my guns I've been looking for...at pre sand hook prices. A buddy traded a pistol and cash for a LAR 10.Made a righteous deal.

But there was one guy who put his 22 and primer bricks up to $70 a few weeks back who didn't get any business,lol.
    Nobody stopping by his table any more. I guess the market will filter these high priced,as some like to call,"gougers" out.
    Another guy had lots of lookers but not many buyers for the same reason. Prices were high the crowd kept moving on past.

All in all a good show

7. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

I did see a Smith and Wesson MP-15 Sport for $699. Was very tempted to pick it up, but am saving up for something just a tad nicer. I did over-hear one vendor boss say to one of his associates "if those two AR15's don't move today, lets knock off another $100 bucks for Sunday". So yea, the prices for firearms at least are getting better.

8. JV100

JV100 portland/wilsonville Active Member

Ha, that's awesome that the m&p 15 sport was $699! My neighbor, was trying to sell me his for $1700 with some extras. I let him give me the sales pitch, telling me sportsman's had one for $1200. After his pitch I let him know I had bought my fiance one brand new for $699 last year. Then I told him nw armory had the new colts for $1300. I explained to him he had missed the "hype" by about 2 months at least. He continued to attempt to convince me his m&p sport was a $12-$1500 gun.. I'm sure he needs the money like we all do but wow.. He hasn't said hi to me since lol.

9. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I'm done with gun shows for the rest of my life.

10. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

+1

11. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

Do you know who the dealer was? My buddy is looking for one

12. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Oh goodie!! Two more places closer to the front of the line for me!

I'm a relative new firearms enthusiast so a gun show is still an exciting thing (lucky for me). I haven't been to one for about a year now due to the crowds and lack of any decent buys. I just like the looking around at gun stuff and being in a place with like minded people.

I hope the fun never wears off for Wifey and I.

Mike

13. bill97024

bill97024 Oregon Member

The last gun show I went to that had that garage sale feel to it and had lots of tables full of good deals was about 20 years ago. I went to one a few years ago and it just wasn't the same. Mostly just a way to gather a bunch of gun dealers in one place, but the days of finding good deals every time you go are long gone I'm afraid. I'm sure there are still deals to be had here and there, but it certainly not the norm. I doubt I'll ever go to another one either.

Soren and (deleted member) like this.
  14. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I'm new to the gun show scene as well been to maybe 5 in the last 3 years.

I always enjoy myself and always find something I didn't know I needed.

Good company, good stories, good fun.

Count me as A fan.

15. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

No Sorry. But I did see at least one other one at $729. So I don't think your buddy will have to look to hard in the future to find one from a dealer who carries it.

16. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

One fan- check.

I'll check you off the list along with the rest of us once you've wised up a bit. :laugh:

17. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I like the gunshows in Wa because as aWAC member My wife and I get in free to WAC shows. We check out everything and sometimes come out with an item for our preps or an ammo can. My biggest purchase was a complete upper from BCG for my AR build. I do grin and walk away from the outrageous prices some vendors have but it's fun to see the variety and realize Nancy Pelosi is drooling and gibbering at the fact that we even have gun shows. Enjoy the little victories in life I sez. :thumbup:
    Brutus Out!

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  18. bigdadytid

bigdadytid Vancouver, WA Member

I walked in with $1000 in my pocket, bought a Tech matt (gun rug) for a Glock, $15. Bought 3 smoke bombs for $10, 6 hand flares for $10.

19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sad to say, but, the type of show stuck in your head is as dead as the dinosaurs! Pre Sandy Hook I would attend a show to stock up on ammo or find a specific non-firearm item, but no longer.

20. JBlack02187

JBlack02187 Clackamas County, OR Member

Yeah, the prices for ammo was outrageous!! I did pick up a XD SC 9mm from Keith's, but only because I've been wanting one for a while, and I got the Bi-Tone for $50-$70 less than everyone else is selling them for................if they even have them in stock. I only saw the Bi-Tone 9mm at Keith's. I knew they had some, so I checked out everyone else first, and no one else had any that I saw. Overall, it was fun to go and "window shop", but I knew what I wanted, and got a good price on it and left everything else there. I will pick up the ammo much cheaper elsewhere. $20 a box of 50 9mm?!?!?! I don't think so.