JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went over to the Clackamas Co. Sheriff's range today with the XD45 and my Kel-tec backup pistol (.380). Had a good time. Still don't like the way the Kel-tec shoots, but I'm getting more comfortable with it... and it's the most concealable thing I have. The XD45 continues to be one of my favorites - shoots well... I was able to get some very nice groupings from a normal stance.

Went over to the Clackamas Co. Sheriff's range today with the XD45 and my Kel-tec backup pistol (.380). Had a good time. Still don't like the way the Kel-tec shoots, but I'm getting more comfortable with it... and it's the most concealable thing I have. The XD45 continues to be one of my favorites - shoots well... I was able to get some very nice groupings from a normal stance.

try and cut-to-fit bike intertube around the grip of the keltec. 26"er works fine. it makes a world of difference in shooting comfort and control.

I have both pistols you mentioned. both are GREAT carry guns.

I carry a P3AT as well, and I agree, it's a pain to shoot. My Hogue slip on grip helped quite a bit though ;)

Still don't like the way the Kel-tec shoots, but I'm getting more comfortable with it... and it's the most concealable thing I have.

Yep - feel the same way about mine. With practice, I've gotten better. The ability to carry it almost anywhere is the main factor in my ownership of this gun.

try and cut-to-fit bike intertube around the grip of the keltec. 26"er works fine. it makes a world of difference in shooting comfort and control.

Does this hang-up on your pocket/clothing when you draw?

To improve my grip on various smaller pistols I have experimented with rubber bands---the big thick, wide ones from bunches of broccoli. Two or three bands make a real improvement in grip shape and perceived recoil reduction.

My future experiments will be with a wonderful grip add-on called "A-Grip". It is sort of a waterproof, self-stick, thick synthetic "felt" that applies securely to a gun grip, forming itself tightly to the shape, even over grooves and stippling. It is sold in pre-cut individual model versions, or in uncut squares for personal design. Lots of police officers use it as it improves "wet-grip", reduces felt recoil, and does not stick to clothing...................elsullo

hey mike, i am thinking about the mag floor plate for the 3at that has the extra finger groove. been fighting it as it could make it a little harder to get out of the pocket since it sticks out.

clackamas range, is that the one near the clackamas town center mall? been there but never shot, how much is it?

took my xd out to the shoot today off hwy 26 and am happy the way it shoots at greater ranges than i have tried. usually i keep within 30 ft but was shooting at 50+ and hitting things regularly. not sure if you made it out there today since we left by noon.

cold and wet, but there were 20-30 guys out there braving the elements. my bro in law got to shoot a fa uzi for the first time thanks to one of the good people who i never even got there names.

not much socialized as i was focussed on shooting and trying to stay dry. did meet a few good people. tried out the green laser that i put on my kel tec plr. nice bright green dot at 50 ft. much better than the red ones.

nice to get out shooting, its been 4 weeks so it was required. too bad it didnt happen yesterday while the sun was out.

KEY-011.jpg

since were talkiing p3at, here is a post from another site i thought to share. for what its worth, i have not checked any of it out.

I just read this and figured someone should be warning people.

"During last summer I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT and some personal defense "defender" ammo produced by MagSafe. I often practiced with my Kel-Tec at the range using standard Federal American Eagle, but due to the extreme cost, never fired the MagSafe ammo. I carried concealed with MagSafe in the magazine and chamber for 9 months due to their claims for stopping power and safety.

Three weeks ago I was at the range and decided to try the MagSafe. On the first shot, the back of the cartridge peeled apart like a grape. The magazine blew out the bottom of the pistol, the slide bent and blew off the top, the frame split on the left side and every rivet blew out. My hand was blackened like in a bad Roadrunner/Wiley Coyote movie, but not injured. The gun collapsed into a pile of debris.

My gunsmith called MagSafe and was told OH YEAH. WE'VE BLOWN UP TWO OF THOSE PISTOLS WITH OUR AMMO. WE NOW HAVE A STICKER ON THE PACKAGE THAT SAYS DO NOT USE WITH KEL-TEC P3AT. They said their ammo is extremely hot and exceeds SAMI specs (though it's not marked +P or +P+). Then they seemed to get personal about my level of intelligence and ability to read. Note, there was no warning sticker about the P3AT on the package I bought last year.

Kel-Tec was concerned immediately, and indicated that the gun is designed to break down under a KB such as this to protect the shooter by dissipating the force of the explosion. They wanted to examine the parts to learn from this accident. They offered complete replacement of the gun, even though it was clearly the over-juiced ammo at fault.

Thursday the brand new replacement arrived with the same serial number as the destroyed gun, so I don't have a lot of registraion gymnastics to do here in the Peoples' Republik of New York.

Thank you Kel-Tec, for your concern and for the outstanding positive customer relations you demonstrated.

MagSafe will never ride in my guns again, as my opinion is that it is unsafe."

Speaking of P3AT's, I managed to "drop-test" mine in the parking lot today. I often carry mine in a coat pocket with zippers. Somehow, I forgot to zip the pocket and when I got out of the car... down it went onto the pavement. Holster (Pale Horse) did a good job protecting it and there doesn't appear to be any damage. First time this has happened - needless to say, I'll be more diligent about checking my pockets in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top