JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I took advantage of the half day break in the rain this morning and went shooting at North Fork of Wolf Creek. I was worried that 20 or 30 other people would have the same idea but we lucked out and there were only 3 other groups shooting when we got there. The 2 single lanes were taken so we went to the end and shared the lanes there with two other guys shooting mostly rifles.

I mostly wanted to try shooting my newly traded for Beretta 92FS 9mm as well as give my wife more shooting time on her S&W M&P .380 EZ. I also shot my Springfield XD 9mm as well.

I let my wife put 4 mags through the .380 EZ first and both the gun and her did real well. She is working to get used to the grip safety on the EZ and she did real well this time. Unlike last time we shot a few weeks ago and had a problem with one of the Remington .380 rounds doing a primer fire only and getting a bullet stuck in the barrel, we didn't have any problems with the Winchester and Sig Sauer ammo. We put about 60 or so rounds through the EZ.

I then fired the Beretta 92FS. I like this gun. It is very accurate and recoil was a bit milder than my Springfield XD and I was able to get it back on target quickly. I even impressed my wife with 4 bullseyes in quick succession (she shoots better than I do and usually hits the bullseyes. :D). The Beretta92FS is solid and well made. When my wife tried it out she was able to rack the slide (she can't rack the Springfield XD) with just a little more effort than she uses on the .380 EZ, so that was good. She was also very accurate with it and remarked that the recoil wasn't a whole lot more than the EZ and less than the Springfield. This is the first gun with a thumb safety though, not to mention the decocker, so she needs to get use to flipping that on after firing and off when she is ready to fire.

A couple of times I noticed that though she was pointing down range she did have her finger in the trigger guard when the hammer was back. Fortunately we can talk about stuff like that without the problems some couples seem to have when the husband "explains" something. This is something we are both going to work on though.

The Springfield XD was just as good as it was the first time I shot it a couple of weeks ago. Shooting them one after the other though I find I like the Beretta more than the XD. The Beretta is a bit longer and the grip is a bit fatter than the XD, which is probably why the recoil is a bit less. The bigger grip gives me more to hold on to but I have the same problem with both guns, the mag release is just beyond easy reach of my thumb. I have to shift my hand around on the grip with both of them to push the mag release button. The smaller .380 EZ has the button right under my thumb and I don't have to shift at all. I guess I'm not using these for any type of tactical or competition use or I'd have problems reloading and getting back on target quickly. This is one area that I'll check on new guns in the future though.

We both had a good time, even though we did track a lot of mud back into my truck when we left. I had to clean the floor mats and hose off the truck when I got home. It was a little windy and a little cool, but it wasn't raining. With the weather coming in this week, I suspect it will be the last chance we'll get to shoot up there for awhile, so I was glad we were able to go this morning.

Mike

I hear these stories more and more. Even with myself, my wife is taking a more active role in shooting but hasn't declared her own gun yet. She has made the comment, I can always take one of yours.

Beretta 92FS is like 5-6 oz heavier than the Springfield so that would also contribute to less felt recoil.

I also find the slides of hammer-fired guns easier to rack than striker-fired, though I'm not 100% used to DA/SA type of shooting yet.

Thanks and you are welcome. Fmann, you are right, the Beretta is a little heavier but even holding the two together it's not physically noticeable to me. I think the balance of the Beretta compensates a bit for it.

I did notice something else between the 95FS and XD, the trigger guard on the Beretta is more comfortable where my middle finger grips underneath the trigger guard. On the XD there is a small indention that my finger goes into that allows the back of the trigger guard to really press just below my knuckle. It doesn't do this on the 95FS. I may need to see what some other 9mm options are out there and replace my Springfield XD, although there are so many choices and so few shooting days. :)

Mike

My wife likes to shoot and can usually go 3 or 4 mags in .380 and a couple of mags of 9mm. She can do a few .357 rounds or a load of .38 but usually passes on shooting my revolvers. Usually she sticks to the S&W .380 EZ but even that will start her hand and arm nerves tingling after shooting to much. I'm planning on getting her a .22lr MK IV or something like that when the weather starts getting better again in the spring and we can go shooting more.

I would go shooting more myself but since she likes to go and shoot I hate telling her I'll go with out her when she can't. I like having someone to help clean up when we are done. :)

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads