JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Though she usually leaves my range gear alone, she decided it was time to wash my pants. It was nice of her. While I am helping to get the laundry out of the machine, I was surprised to hear a few .45 ACP rounds bouncing around in the bottom of the dryer. Woops, I guess I didn't clean my own pockets out well. Never washed any ammo with a load of clothes before.

How resilient should I expect these rounds to be? Should I pull 'em and reload them from scratch, or do we think they'll fire? I looked at them and the primers seem fine, the bullets seem to be unscathed, and to tell the truth the cartridges are very shiny! So the rounds look good (don't hear powder bounce in the case however). What would you do? Shoot 'em with a dowel handy, or what? Personally I am just glad there was no detonation in our nice dryer!

"Tacticool" - Awesome. I used to work in law enforcement & corrections, and my 'Tacticool' pants are from my training days on the force - they're nearly 10 years old. When they wear through (it will be a while - these are some sturdy britches) blue jeans will be just fine. Besides, they are really comfortable and have huge leg pockets to fill with bullets so I can load, shoot & move without having a box of ammo in-front of me. My wife hates those things - calls me a goof when I wear 'em. Personally, I think I'm 'tacti-cool' in 'em :s0155:

For the record, the COL is just fine. So I may end up shooting them.

Well I don't know about laundry, but for crap and giggles I filled up a container with some h20, about a handfull of reloaded 45acp, soaked them for about a day, went to the range, loaded them up, closed my eyes, and pulled the trigger. They all went bang.

I would not shoot these, and I would recommend you don't either. A "few" rounds isn't really worth risking your life and limb over. Most pistol (and many rifle) powders are double-base meaning they're a mix of nitroglycerine and nitrocellulose, with the prolonged exposure to heat and mechanical agitation it's likely the powder may be compromised, and that's to say nothing of the primer.

Pull 'em, it's not worth it.

Some trunks get like a million degrees and some barrels get so hot you can about light a cigarette off of it. I think a dryer doesn't get that hot and I've had some same old ammo of different calibers in my pickup for about thirty years.. and I've driven down washboard aplenty in it.. no problems.

Some trunks get like a million degrees and some barrels get so hot you can about light a cigarette off of it. I think a dryer doesn't get that hot and I've had some same old ammo of different calibers in my pickup for about thirty years.. and I've driven down washboard aplenty in it.. no problems.

Most dryers get over 200F, black trunks in death valley maybe get that hot. The other thing i worry about is them being full of water, and either not going off, fizzling, or worst case if it's a well sealed primer, demonstrating that liquids don't compress. While it's an interesting academic experiment, I don't think it's worth attempting otherwise.

"Tacticool" - Awesome. I used to work in law enforcement & corrections, and my 'Tacticool' pants are from my training days on the force - they're nearly 10 years old. When they wear through (it will be a while - these are some sturdy britches) blue jeans will be just fine. Besides, they are really comfortable and have huge leg pockets to fill with bullets so I can load, shoot & move without having a box of ammo in-front of me. My wife hates those things - calls me a goof when I wear 'em. Personally, I think I'm 'tacti-cool' in 'em :s0155:

For the record, the COL is just fine. So I may end up shooting them.

I used to have a pair of pants like you describe. I used to refer to them as my "ballroom pants". You get the picture. Funny how Duluth Trading just started advertising undershorts using that term. I've been using it since Uncle Same gave me my first pair of "Field Pants" in 1965.

I love the Duluth Trading Company commercials! When it comes to those pants - they're very comfortable, even when on the back end of a chain saw.

For the record, I pulled the bullets, and some of the powder was clumped up, so it looks like some moisture may have seeped in. Good call guys, thanks!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top