JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard of some hunting rifle brands....specifically Tikka...that pressure test their chambers to 100k PSI. It might be complete BS, I heard it like 3rd or 4th hand. Even still, 85k PSI doesn't seem THAT extreme to cause such an explosion. I don't know......the 85k he said isn't even twice the "standard". Am I off base here?
No ballistician here by any means but i swear ive heard 1.5x normal pressure. Double seems quite excessive and probably damaging.

I've read many people say they DON'T want proofed barrels and bolts and im one of them. Id prefer the highest standards of quality inspection and quality manufacturing.
I trust implicitly a reputation if they maintain it. To me proofing is kinda a old school way of testing. We have TONS of tech these days to test passively. I want to make sure all my components haven't been shocked or stressed.
All these warnings NOT to load over pressure etc. Why would you then WANT to intentionally do that?

Im all ears if anyone's got solid evidence.

Reading the CIP data it would seem that the pressure test amounts to 1.5x the usual operating pressure. Bear in mind that, as far as plain ol' .308Win is concerned, that's around 55,000psi x 1.5 = 85.200 psi, you have to ask yourself who would WANT to shoot a load that approached that level.

BTW, UK proof for the .308 Win is 20 Tons per square inch, and for 7.62x51, 'just' 19.5 Tons per square inch. .303 British is 'only' 18 Tons per square inch.

Seems enough to me.

If the sabot itself caused a barrel obstruction (Fe by getting stuck in the chamber, as the serbu guy said it would on his other barrels) isn't this whole pressure at 50k, 85k, etc discussion meaningless? It's going to go kaboom no matter if the barrel was tested to 90k psi.

Skip to 23:30 mark, the rest is just boring shot after shot
executive summary: the ammo he got varied from sorta ok to really really really hot - so hot that it took 10+ minutes to get the gun apart. but the gun didn't blow until he fried it with a 190K PSI round special made, in which case it blew almost just like it did before.

executive summary: the ammo he got varied from sorta ok to really really really hot - so hot that it took 10+ minutes to get the gun apart. but the gun didn't blow until he fried it with a 190K PSI round special made, in which case it blew almost just like it did before.
Not sure why he says he doesn't know what happened to the cap. Looks very clear to me on video it went right through the pIexi glass.

Some of the rounds had some high pressures generated, enough to push primers out…
And you could definitely hear the difference between a normal round and ones that were overcharged…

Some of the rounds had some high pressures generated, enough to push primers out…
And you could definitely hear the difference between a normal round and ones that were overcharged…
It may be just me, or the timing of the vid, but I noticed with the high pressure rounds, the flame from the muzzle came back to encompass the rifle, whereas with the "normal" pressure rounds it did not.

Not sure why he says he doesn't know what happened to the cap. Looks very clear to me on video it went right through the pIexi glass.
I agree. It looks like something puck shaped is tumbling toward the plexi before the impact. You may have to replay it a few times to get a good look. Here are some screen captures. Click images to enlarge.

1645074684549.jpeg

1645074711690.jpeg

My first thought…..this isn't exactly the best look for Serbu. :D
I know nothing about that gun but I don't see the point of it. Is the point of it to have the cheapest way to shoot 50BMG? I mean it has a screw on cap like some sort of home made gun.

Kind of like, Want:

Settle for:
C878BC01-CC53-4880-9506-1787F354D9DD.jpeg

Last Edited:
I know nothing about that gun but I don't see the point of it. Is the point of it to have the cheapest way to shoot 50BMG? I mean it has a screw on cap like some sort of home made gun.
That would be my guess. At $1,199 it's significantly less than the $8,799.99 that Sportsman's wants for an M82 A1.

I've shot the 50 BMG in bolt action and like the beefy locking lugs. The threaded design of the breech cap would not be something that appeals to me for that caliber, pressures....and my face and arms right next to them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top