JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
872a-2b909c34bd80-AP_Asian_Giant_Hornets_Trapped_1.jpg

MQMVHPW5RFC5XKLLJMGWP4YXY4.jpg

Last Edited:
Still have seen any giant Asian hornets around Birch Bay. We have bees any some non giant normal size hornets. I hung a water trap for wasps, yellow jacks and hornets and left it for 14 days. It caught a fair amount. Sometimes they are still alive so need to be more careful. I wear heavy duty leather gloves when opening the trap.

So get back from the range today and go around to the passenger side and open to door. When I did I see this HUGE, like Trump HUGE hornet/wasp/yellow jacket thingy inside on the window. It was about 2" long and we surprised each other with me thinking WTF and him flying off. I've encountered tarantula hawks where I used to live but this thing was scary. I can't say it was Murder Hornet but have no idea what else it could have been.

Anyone with ideas?

So get back from the range today and go around to the passenger side and open to door. When I did I see this HUGE, like Trump HUGE hornet/wasp/yellow jacket thingy inside on the window. It was about 2" long and we surprised each other with me thinking WTF and him flying off. I've encountered tarantula hawks where I used to live but this thing was scary. I can't say it was Murder Hornet but have no idea what else it could have been.

Anyone with ideas?

Did it have an orange head? Look at post #102 for pictures.

Anyone with ideas?

When I lived in the SW saw those things a lot and they did scare hell out of me. Knew one kid who stepped on one and was hurting for weeks after. Those things were always solitary hunters though. These damn hornets are spooky because they are large and make nests. Creepy to think about 100'ds of the damn things coming at you are once :eek::eek:

Did it have an orange head? Look at post #102 for pictures.
It's possible but I can't say for sure. When I opened the door it was on the window so I had a top view of the profile and it had the distinct shape of hornet / yellow jacket type of creature, just much larger. It flew off immediately, could see there was some yellow/orange on it but not for sure on the head.

It could have been a queen yellow jacket, as shown in the picture.
So it looks like the queens are about the size of a quarter or a little smaller. This one seemed about twice this size. But it could also be the syndrome like when someone is pointing a gun at you and it looks twice as big! I'm fine with bees, bumble bees, wasps, but yellow jackets / hornets are a _ _ holes with wings.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top