1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Well played, King County

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Phather, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

So I saw this sign the other day while inside a King County department of health building. A large logo showing a crossed out revolver and chef's knife:huh: with the title "No Weapons." I had to get closer to see what this was all about, seeing as how I knew they could not enforce such a statement in a non-restricted county building open to the public. Then I saw the disclaimer underneath the title, "(Except as allowed by law)". I had to chuckle at this sign because it was so pointless, yet I still found myself frustrated as the sign was designed to make people think they were prohibited from carrying weapons with them inside the building.

Then the sign listed RCW 9.41.270(1) which clarifies just what exactly is allowed by law: " It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

So basically, the sign was a warning that anybody intending to intimidate or threaten the safety of other people was prohibited from bringing a weapon inside the building. A sign stating "No Crimes Allowed" would have the same meaning as the sign posted at the entrance of the building.

Just thought I would share.

No Weapons.jpg
    Nwcid, Riot, GOG and 5 others like this.
  2. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

How many calories/ man hours/ tax payer dollars are dedicated to these junk postings?
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Their "perception is their reality". It makes them "feel good" therefore they have "made a difference"... Yet, there is STILL starving Pygmies in New Guinea, despite all the bake sales, and pop-bottle drives... They "feel good about themselves" nonetheless.
  4. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago I had my CWP and I periodically carried a very small .380 pistol.

A number of times I carried it to work and once I put it in my briefcase and a coworker saw it when I opened the case to get something else. This was back before it was pretty standard to have something in company policy stating that no weapons are allowed on company policy and there was nothing in the company policy handbook about that.

Well, the coworker must have said something to somebody as a few weeks later they came out with a revision to company policy and made everybody read it. The only real change was additional logic concerning "weapons".

It's been over 2 decades so I will paraphrase - it basically said that no illegal weapons were allowed on company property. I do remember they used the word "illegal".

I thought that was really funny - whoever wrote it either knew what they were doing, or they were totally clueless and didn't know that concealed pistols are perfectly legal if you have a CWP. I am guessing the latter was the case as most people are clueless about weapons laws.

I could have continued to carry on the company property as I was perfectly legal, but I figured why risk making someone made and getting fired anyway? Anti-gunners like that are afraid of guns, and scared people do stupid things. I knew what they meant, even if they could not word it very well - guns scared them and they didn't want them on company property.

Fine with me - I quit that place not too long afterwards.

King County is probably relying on the fact that most people don't read the fine print.
  5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Not to mention that most people going to public health in King Co. have limited reading comprehension. ...
  6. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

7. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

Hey now, what are you implying? :paranoid:
  8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Heck, it's worse than that! People are starving in King County but that's a real problem! Couldn't be bothered by that now!
  9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The McGraths in Vancouver has a sign right at the door (left side, green color) stating that no weapons are allowed by order of the liquor dept. Problem is, it's standard one intended for use at a bar entrance. They seem to think that it means the whole restaurant and bar area. Since they allow children into the restaurant area a CPL allows carry in the restaurant area, but not the bar (where children are prohibited) area.

NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"