JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My lovely bride purchased a new Mark 3 not long ago. Nice plinker. However, she seated one of the empty magazines backwards! In all my years I have never encountered such an issue. I know from personal experience that .45 mags will not fit backwards. Anyhoo the darn mag was STUCK solid. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to extract the stuck mag [being the helpful husband] she convinced me to look on the 'net and see if there was a solution. Found out that a whole lot of Mark 3 owners have stuck an empty mag backwards into the thing. Made us both feel somewhat better. Found out about a Mag-Out tool just for backward Mark 3 mags and ordered one. If there is a tool for this the problem it must be pretty widespread? Well, the tool never showed up so I called Ruger CS yesterday. They were great, funny and very helpful. So back to AZ it goes on Monday. Mark 3 owners - beware [cue spooky music]. I will label all Mark 3 mags from here on out with an arrow in silver sharpie that says "front". Whole new experience for us. Just for the records my wife is a very experienced firearms person. Shoots rings around me with her .45s, er, OK with the AK too but that's all. LOL

I haven't ever run into this problem myself. I wasn't even aware it was a common problem.

Neither was I :-o When the Mag-Out tool arrives it is going into my range bag just in case. My wife and I had a further discussion ... at least one round will be kept in each mag apart from those we will keep filled to "show the way". Life can be funny at times after all the OMGs, WTFs, screaming and yelling stops. :)

Plan B. Get rid of the magazine disconnect. Not hard, requires a new hammer bushing. About $10.

Mags will then drop free, trigger pull is improved, and if you jam one in backwards no problem.
And yes---there are a LOT of videos on YouTube that will walk you through the process.:)

"Along with all the safety locks?" :D

If you mean those "Free be" gun show cable things...They all went into the trash as they rust like crazy.

I consider every firearm loaded and they are, even in the safe.:eek:

Small update. The Mag-Out tool was no help. It was thrown into my range bag as planned. Today the Mark iii is off to Ruger for repairs. Wife did remind me that I did try to remove the stuck mag with, ahem, a little too much gusto. If anything needs replaced now Ruger can fix it. Prolly take them all of 20 minutes. LOL

Do they make one of those for AR's? :rolleyes: :p
Police Protection.jpg

I have an original Rugar standard and have owned it for 34 years now.

Every now and then I still want to load a mag backwards - I love rugers but the mags are not intuitive with the way they slant.

I agree with you there. They are great pistols but with non-intuitive [wow. that word makes me sound smart :)] mags. Both my wife and I are very long time gun owners. This accident with the Mark iii mag was a complete first for both of us. Really not complaining just describing. I have a new silver sharpie to mark the front of the mags so it will be less likely to happen again. LOL Thanks for letting me know that even after owning your Ruger all those years backward mags could still be a problem. Yep different to my experience too. Thanks Joe13. BTW- our l'il .22 made it to AZ and the mothership for repairs. Yea!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top