Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Well, Ain't this a Fine Kettle of Fish?!?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Pops1911, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

My lovely bride purchased a new Mark 3 not long ago. Nice plinker. However, she seated one of the empty magazines backwards! In all my years I have never encountered such an issue. I know from personal experience that .45 mags will not fit backwards. Anyhoo the darn mag was STUCK solid. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to extract the stuck mag [being the helpful husband] she convinced me to look on the 'net and see if there was a solution. Found out that a whole lot of Mark 3 owners have stuck an empty mag backwards into the thing. Made us both feel somewhat better. Found out about a Mag-Out tool just for backward Mark 3 mags and ordered one. If there is a tool for this the problem it must be pretty widespread? Well, the tool never showed up so I called Ruger CS yesterday. They were great, funny and very helpful. So back to AZ it goes on Monday. Mark 3 owners - beware [cue spooky music]. I will label all Mark 3 mags from here on out with an arrow in silver sharpie that says "front". Whole new experience for us. Just for the records my wife is a very experienced firearms person. Shoots rings around me with her .45s, er, OK with the AK too but that's all. LOL

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Pointy end of the bullet goes toward the barrel.:D

4. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I haven't ever run into this problem myself. I wasn't even aware it was a common problem.

5. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Youtube is awesome! Scary to think how dependent we've all become on it but it's saved me $$ many a time.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

To quote Carlos Mencia.... Dee, Dee, Dee!!!

clearconscience likes this.
  7. Pops1911

Neither was I :-o When the Mag-Out tool arrives it is going into my range bag just in case. My wife and I had a further discussion ... at least one round will be kept in each mag apart from those we will keep filled to "show the way". Life can be funny at times after all the OMGs, WTFs, screaming and yelling stops. :)

8. Pops1911

Oh now that's funny!!!! LOL

9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Phew....Glad I got a Buckmark instead!

10. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Plan B. Get rid of the magazine disconnect. Not hard, requires a new hammer bushing. About $10.

Mags will then drop free, trigger pull is improved, and if you jam one in backwards no problem.
    And yes---there are a LOT of videos on YouTube that will walk you through the process.:)

Joe13 and Pops1911 like this.
  11. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Make sure that is NOT a self defense gun. Nothing like doing a reload when really needed and having to use a tool to get the job done.

Pops1911 likes this.
  12. Pops1911

No defense pistol. Strictly a fun based plinker and can shooter.

ron likes this.
  13. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Not only a self-defense gun,
    Anti-armor
    Zombie killin
    Home Defense

14. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Magazine disconnect.....Oh yeah, they're all out there in a drawer somewhere.:p

titsonritz likes this.
  15. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Along with all the safety locks? :D

16. Capn Jack

"Along with all the safety locks?" :D

If you mean those "Free be" gun show cable things...They all went into the trash as they rust like crazy.

I consider every firearm loaded and they are, even in the safe.:eek:

17. Pops1911

Small update. The Mag-Out tool was no help. It was thrown into my range bag as planned. Today the Mark iii is off to Ruger for repairs. Wife did remind me that I did try to remove the stuck mag with, ahem, a little too much gusto. If anything needs replaced now Ruger can fix it. Prolly take them all of 20 minutes. LOL

clearconscience likes this.
  18. Capn Jack

Do they make one of those for AR's? :rolleyes: :p
    Police Protection.jpg

titsonritz, Slobray, Pops1911 and 2 others like this.
  19. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have an original Rugar standard and have owned it for 34 years now.

Every now and then I still want to load a mag backwards - I love rugers but the mags are not intuitive with the way they slant.

Pops1911 likes this.
  20. Pops1911

I agree with you there. They are great pistols but with non-intuitive [wow. that word makes me sound smart :)] mags. Both my wife and I are very long time gun owners. This accident with the Mark iii mag was a complete first for both of us. Really not complaining just describing. I have a new silver sharpie to mark the front of the mags so it will be less likely to happen again. LOL Thanks for letting me know that even after owning your Ruger all those years backward mags could still be a problem. Yep different to my experience too. Thanks Joe13. BTW- our l'il .22 made it to AZ and the mothership for repairs. Yea!

Joe13 and Stomper like this.