JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I, err I mean a friend of mine ground down this Black Rain trigger thinking, well maybe not thinking:rolleyes:. Now it doesn't reset. Could it be built back up by welds then I, a he could grind it back to normal?

IMG_0110_zpsrtfkj9tx.jpg

The short answer? No.

The longer answer? If you could get the manufacture to tell you what the alloy is it might be possible to get some matching TIG filler and build it up, grind it and re heat treat it.

I have a pretty good selection of tool steel and alloy rods, if its a total loss anyway I could try and build it up with some "good" steel for you and see how it turns out.

You could drop it in a flat rate box with $5 to cover return postage and Id do it for free.

Is it the sear face you... er your friend, ground on? Or is it on the hammer face?

Send it back to Black Rain, I would think that they would want this back up to specs.
If you come clean with them, more then likely they'll just replace what's needed and charge you for the shipping.

The part of the hammer in the bottom left of the pic is what was ground. If you think you could build it up I'll send it over. I can get it back to shape if it works, but I cant weld.

Send it back to Black Rain, I would think that they would want this back up to specs.
If you come clean with them, more then likely they'll just replace what's needed and charge you for the shipping.

Didn't see your post. Maybe Ill look into that first and see what they say.

I can weld on it, I need a rough idea of how much and where though. If you could take the hammer out and make a tracing of it and show how much and where you want it built up I'll make it happen.

Thanks. I sent them an email with a picture of it. If they cant do anything I'll get ahold of you.
Here's what it should look like

Here's what I ground off.

BRO-DIT-2T_zpscbcw5anu.jpg nn_zpsbzlxzrsn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't chance it, if it failed imagine the consequences.
My main concern if one tried is stress and heat fractures you cant and wont see.
But seems IronMonster has ideas of working it out. I would be curious how this plays
out.

I wouldn't chance it, if it failed imagine the consequences.
My main concern if one tried is stress and heat fractures you cant and wont see.
But seems IronMonster has ideas of working it out. I would be curious how this plays
out.

Really the consequences are most likely it fails to go bang. A catastrophic trigger failure would probably happen when you pulled the trigger, then the next time the trigger would not reset (if it came apart) I dont think there is much risk, If I thought there was I would not offer to do it. Welding on a bolt, trunnion, action or what not would be a bit of a concern but still something that is done quite often.

I agree with IM. It does not work now so what is there to lose....you add material and it should work.

Most of the time the weld material is harder than the original material.

I agree "odds are " it will go fine. However when ( for me ) I tend to air on caution.
I think what I am still focusing on and should be more specific, is not the weld I worry about.
Not to mention a fail could result in full auto possibilities.
Taking the metal that is original and possibly overheating it is my main concern. We have to remember this
probably not as dense as many other areas may be. The are in metals H2o Molecules
and they exist more in less perfect metals. You heat up the areas that can expand and you could get internal damage or weaken the metal. I can only speculate because I have no idea what quality of metal is being used.
I just had some concerns. I am curious as mentioned how well this works. Another concern is this metal has already possibly been heated by grinding it adding to possible concerns.

They got right back to me at Black Rain,

"Good afternoon Melvin,
We will replace the damaged parts at N/C but you will be responsible for the labor. I don't know the cost until we get it here to evaluate. Please ship to Black Rain Ordnance - P.O. Box 1111 - Neosho, MO 64850.
Thanks,
Terri"

Thanks for the offer to fix it IM, much appreciated. I'm sure they will put a new hammer in so that's probably the best way to go.
That's pretty good customer service by BR considering the problem:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads