JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People (including me) pay for things in advance all the time here on the honor system, so that's reasonable, IMO

ive done THAT for people, too. no problem. but if you don't get money, you get flakes. i'd say easily 8 out of 10 people i've held things for, without pre-payment, have backed out. in fact, i think i'm being generous with that... cause i cant actually remember a time when i've held something for somebody and they've actually followed through.

I concur with most of the comments so far.

The deal becomes binding upon the buyers offer and the sellers acceptance of that offer. It is binding on both parties. What is also implicit is that the buyer agrees to show up with the full price in cash within a day or so. If his financial circumstances change within that day or so, too bad....he remains obligated to buy unless the seller releases him. Should the buyer decide he really needs the money for something else, he buys the gun anyway and he recoups it back by posting the item for resale.

The only "out" for the "I"ll take it" buyer would be if the seller failed to disclose something he should have to all potential buyers and when the actual buyer discovers a significant undisclosed defect upon inspection. For example, you post single photo of the "good side" of the piece. The buyer discovers the "bad" pitted side of the piece at the FTF. The seller neither posted a photo of the bad side nor did he disclose the pitting problem in his description. In those circumstances, I believe the buyer has a right to refuse or the preogative to negotiate a lower price.

ive done THAT for people, too. no problem. but if you don't get money, you get flakes. i'd say easily 8 out of 10 people i've held things for, without pre-payment, have backed out. in fact, i think i'm being generous with that... cause i cant actually remember a time when i've held something for somebody and they've actually followed through.

Have yet to have a bad deal here.. I'm sure eventually it will happen

I concur with most of the comments so far.
So do I but I think most of you are taking this a little too personally. The bottom line is unless you know the buyer personally and believe him or her to be sincere then the item stays listed until the "I'll take it" buyer 'takes it' by handing you the cash. Don't waste time psychoanalyzing one's motives - or hold something on the word of someone you do not know - and besides that's the beauty of PayPal - it makes 'Put Up Or Shut Up' and instant proposition.

I don't think it's about holding it over on a stranger or over analyzing it. Don't say "I will take it" if you haven't worked out the details with the seller. it's as simple as that. don't go all eager beaver on the sales thread if you don't have the cash/trade in hand.

So do I but I think most of you are taking this a little too personally. The bottom line is unless you know the buyer personally and believe him or her to be sincere then the item stays listed until the "I'll take it" buyer 'takes it' by handing you the cash. Don't waste time psychoanalyzing one's motives - or hold something on the word of someone you do not know - and besides that's the beauty of PayPal - it makes 'Put Up Or Shut Up' and instant proposition.

Paypal is anti gun and has frozen a lot of user's assets for a long time and even stolen them. No thanks

I posted "I'll take it" on an add and there were two "PM sent" posted right before me. Niether one had committed to the purchase before I did they just said they were interested in buying. When I sent the seller a PM confirming he said he had no one committed to buying yet but they were first in line because they sent PM's first. I SAID I WILL TAKE IT! They did not, come on that should have been mine! :(

I posted "I'll take it" on an add and there were two "PM sent" posted right before me. Niether one had committed to the purchase before I did they just said they were interested in buying. When I sent the seller a PM confirming he said he had no one committed to buying yet but they were first in line because they sent PM's first. I SAID I WILL TAKE IT! They did not, come on that should have been mine! :(

For me personally I give the first guy with a unconditional commitment to buy the 1st place in line.

For me personally I give the first guy with a unconditional commitment to buy the 1st place in line.

the problem i've found with giving inquiries the chance to say "ill take it" later is that they might PM you for days with betarded questions before they finally claim it. i've been in situations where i was selling a lot of stuff, and was getting a LOT of PMs on it, and was trying to 'hold' stuff for the first people interested, and they'd keep hemming and hawing and/or haggling while 10 "i'll take it"s backed up behind them.

i know i've definitely been frustrated by people snagging righteous deals out from under me, simply because i wouldn't "i'll take it" without getting one or two pieces of information first... but i think that's still the best way to do it.

first "i'll take it" gets it.

AS I already said..Paypal is anti gun and also has been known to confiscate gun or politically-incorrectly earned funds. Many gunners like me will never use Paypal

Also, the correct way to deal with the "I'll take it" is after they PM you that they are serious and have sent the funds, is to place next to the item in your ad SPFs (sold pending funds)

I guess I have been lucky so far. I have sold 1000s of dollars of gun related accessories over the years and have yet to lose (or have held up) any money by PayPal. The first time I do though I will follow it up until I have an answer as to 'why', from them, I agree with.

I have also used PayPal to buy several guns and received PayPal when selling. Never an issue. They have no idea what the money is for. I am a gunner and I use it all the time with other gunners. Just need to how how it works I guess.

I guess I have been lucky so far. I have sold 1000s of dollars of gun related accessories over the years and have yet to lose (or have held up) any money by PayPal. The first time I do though I will follow it up until I have an answer as to 'why', from them, I agree with.

I have heard of horror stories where the funds were confiscated and the account frozen for over 6 months. Their rules specifically state no firearms and such

I have heard of horror stories where the funds were confiscated and the account frozen for over 6 months. Their rules specifically state no firearms and such

i still use paypal, as much as i hate them, but come to think- they did freeze my account once. they got hacked, and my account was charged some bullbubblegum and they wouldnt back me up. they froze my account because of the security issue, and then wouldn't reactivate it until i PAID FOR THE FRAUDULENT CHARGE. so i just cancelled the card i had linked to the account, and didn't use paypal for like a year. i must not have been doing much business at that time, cause i didn't even miss them until a customer wanted to pay for a $3,500 bill with a credit card, and i told him to paypal it to me.. and it occurred to me that my paypal didnt work.

so after over a year i placed a call to paypal, and they had it back up and with apologies in about 10 minutes.

I think I am seeing a pattern here and based on what I am reading some of you seem to think you are in the 'driver's' seat as the 'seller'. Unless you have something so desirable that people are willing to stand in line to buy from you, then you, as the seller, are at the "Ship Holding In Transit" end of the stick and unfortunately have to deal with all the negative aspects of selling such as 'I'll take it' backouts, flakes, insulting offers (which really do not exist unless you allow yourself to be insulted) and the nonstop barrage of questions. Hey I am with you, Been there done that and the sooner you learn to accept 90% are just 'kicking tires' the better off you will be. Try this next time you are selling something. Turn off the PM, post no email address and request phone calls only. Something about the psychology of actually having to talk to someone has a dramatic effect on the outcome and 'weeds out' LOTS of flakes.

RV- I disagree, hence the feedback system and this duscussion. If the board mods choose to let it be a free for all would be a shame. Both seller and buyer have responsibilities, and while they very from board to board in specifics most have the same general idea. IF YOU AS A BUYER SAY YOU'LL TAKE SOMETHING YOU ARE COMMITTING TO IT. If you can't commit state that, not say I'll take it;
Well how about a fantastic Browning HP.
Give me an e-mail address and I will send pictures.
PM Sent to Your E-Mail with pictures of My High Power.

So now I've wasted time on a trade from a member who just disappears. This is just the latest one.

As for phone calls- I tend to try and weed out the BS through PM and email rather than have Joe Schmoe having nothing better to do but cry to my #!!

I usually say " I'll take it, pending inspection"
That way if the item was not described accurately, I can still back out.
One person's condition rating may not be the same as mine, and I should not be obligated to buy it if I am not satisfied.
My "I'll take it" would be depending on the condition being as described.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top