JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the words of Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain".

Realistically, things changed. I really can't find fault with a business changing their policies due to recent events. Look at it from their perspective. It's one thing to have a long term layaway program when chances are that that the weapon would just sit on the rack for the same amount of time before selling. That's assuming normal circumstances. Today circumstances aren't normal. The Dealer may well be considering that he won't even be allowed to complete the sale 5 months from now and after all, it is HIS money tied up in the weapon(s).

If I was presented with similar circumstances as a Customer, and I really wanted the firearm I would consider using a Credit Card, even if it did cost me some interest and a surcharge. As an option, go get a "signature loan" from the bank.

To take it out on a Dealer that is just reacting to unceertain times isn't totally right. As for Welcher's, I'll wager that this is pretty much the same thing today at all gun stores. People are grabbing anything they can, Rifles, Pistols, Ammo, etc. Until the Political Scene stabilizes this will pretty much be what we are all in for.

Welcher's is still a good gun shop. I have a rifle in my Safe that was sporterized by them in 1950 when I lived across the street. Give them a break. It's an uncertain time for them too.

Dear Deadshot2,
I feel I am giving them the same respect they gave me. I phoned them and they stated their layaway plan: 20% down and 5 months to pay. I told them I would be in the following day to put the firearm on layaway which I was. At that point we had basiclly made a verbal deal. If I had not returned the next day that would have changed the circumstances. 2nd Just because they allow 5 months to pay it off does not mean I am going to take that long to pay for the item and pick it up. I was simply quoting the terms as they were explained to me. 3rd There policy changed when I walked in the door and my opinon of there store changed when I walked out. I would say that is a very fair exchange. The rifle you have that belonged to your father and that was sporterized in 1950 may very well be a fine rifle and beautiful keepsake, I am glad you still have it and like it however that was in 1950. This is 2012 and I know for a fact that Welcher's has gone through many gunsmiths and sales people since then. I am just as sure especially after my recent experience that the way they treat their customers has changed also. As for using a credit card first off where do you get off trying to tell me or anyone else how to run my/our finances. Secondly I do not have or want a credit card, I deal in cash. A loan from a bank come on now! They will lose at least 2% of the sales price if a customer uses a credit card or $60.00 as at least in the past they have never changed their price when I used to have one and used it. I was paying with cash. Nuff said. You have your opinion of Welcher's and I have mine. Let the next customer that walks through their door decide, at least with this exchange if they stop by this site they will have some idea what to expect.

If I was presented with similar circumstances as a Customer, and I really wanted the firearm I would consider using a Credit Card, even if it did cost me some interest and a surcharge. As an option, go get a "signature loan" from the bank.

As for using a credit card first off where do you get off trying to tell me or anyone else how to run my/our finances.

Please go back and carefully read what I said (to make it easier I have snipped and underlined the important part).

Everyone is free to do as they choose and evidently you didn't read the entire post, just the words you wanted to. Don't see where I was telling you or anyone else what THEY should do. Just mentioning what I would consider.

Just out of curiosity, did you request to speak with the owner/manager? Of did you just get P!$$ed and walk away?

Anyway, good luck at your next stop trying to buy a gun. Things probably won't be much different there considering the common denominator. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that is.

Please go back and carefully read what I said (to make it easier I have snipped and underlined the important part).

Everyone is free to do as they choose and evidently you didn't read the entire post, just the words you wanted to. Don't see where I was telling you or anyone else what THEY should do. Just mentioning what I would consider.

Just out of curiosity, did you request to speak with the owner/manager? Of did you just get P!$$ed and walk away?

Anyway, good luck at your next stop trying to buy a gun. Things probably won't be much different there considering the common denominator. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that is.

This is not about you. This is not even about me. This is about a business that says one thing and does another.
You have been a good dog and barked at the nasty intruder. You can go back and lay under under your masters (Welcher's) dinner table and get a pat on the head now.

This is not about you. This is not even about me. This is about a business that says one thing and does another.
You have been a good dog and barked at the nasty intruder. You can go back and lay under under your masters (Welcher's) dinner table and get a pat on the head now.

Go to the head of this thread, look at the poll numbers, and then tell me you aren't making it about you.

As for me being "Welcher's good dog", I don't even live within 70 miles of them and haven't been in there since the 50's, My comments were only about the post you made. Since you chose not to answer my question re: talking to the manager I assume that I was correct. You didn't.

Sounds to me like all you wanted to do was vent on your experience and don't care for anyone to inject reason.

I visited Welchers 2 weeks ago. I had read excellent reviews and a couple friends recommended them as well. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't be more dissapointed in their lack of customer service. I walked in and was amazed at the selection and was fully ready to plop down some cash but in the 10 minutes I was in there not one of the 3 employees behind the counter even bothered to say hello or even acknowledge my existence. I stood at the counter for nearly 5 minutes straining to see tags on their shotgun selection.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and visit again at some point. One guy was dealing with a walk in customer that was getting very heated over what they charge for an ffl transfer so I'm guessing all attention was on him. 'twas a very uncomfortable place to be in for sure!

I have purchased two rifles and two pistols from Welchers in the past year. Each time I have been in the shop it has been quite busy. Expect to wait a bit before they get to your turn, and it can be hard for an employee to know who is next in line. I will say, once it is your turn with a salesperson they dedicate their time and attention to the needs and questions you have untill the transaction is complete. I have delt with a different employee each time I have been in, all were professional, helpful and helped me get in and out in a timely manner. Mike and Pierre were both great, as were the other gentlemen I did business with.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top