JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was thinking VEPR rifle, but OP doesn't actually say rifle. Is it the VEPR-12 shotgun?
Yes. The 12 stands for 12 gauge ;p I think I see where you're going with this and I think you might be right. A quick look into this shows some of the VEPR rifles going for big big coin. I bought the Vepr 12 for home defence... had I bought some of their wood handled offerings in the rifle format I think the shop in question would have proudly slapped it on their wall.

So yeah I think they wanted a VEPR, just not the 12 hehe.

He probably didn't know what it was when you spoke to him on the phone, then saw it was one of those big scary guns and not grandpa's thurdy-thurdy and wet himself.
Are there any of those kinds of gun shops left anymore? I haven't seen a non-"tactical" local gun shop in at least a decade, maybe two.

The LGS here in town has a good mix. I like modern plastic-and-aluminum guns, but have a long-seated appreciation for traditional "Fudd guns". (I sure hate the term Fudd- it's been overused to death)

Gig Harbor is a very long ways from here, or I'd recommend TJ Guns. It's a nice shop, good people, and they do a lot of consignments. Consigning at a trustworthy shop seems a great option to me. Drop it off and eventually pick up a check is convenient. I consigned a rifle at Gunpro in Springfield one time a few years ago. He called me when it sold, and I was surprised when he handed me a check for more than the original agreed-on price. :)

Yes. The 12 stands for 12 gauge ;p I think I see where you're going with this and I think you might be right. A quick look into this shows some of the VEPR rifles going for big big coin. I bought the Vepr 12 for home defence... had I bought some of their wood handled offerings in the rifle format I think the shop in question would have proudly slapped it on their wall.

So yeah I think they wanted a VEPR, just not the 12 hehe.
Hence it would have been helpful if the original post said "Vepr-12" in it, but I understand which gun we're discussing now. A Vepr-12 should be easy to sell. Instant 4473 transfer for most buyers in Washington, no 10 business day wait like there is for semi-auto rifles.

A BGC is required for transfers between private parties, not private party to FFL to same private party same as if you sent your gun back for warranty repair work. Just call whatever FFL you want to use what their policy is.
I believe with pawning and consignment, it is required, because the FFL takes "ownership" of it with the right to sell it.

I believe with pawning and consignment, it is required, because the FFL takes "ownership" of it with the right to sell it.
This!☝️

BGC and any transfer fees the FFL might charge to take it back are your own responsibility. You would think an FFL would waive their transfer fee back to the orginal owner, but I wouldn't count on it and needs to be made clear in writing before I would proceed.

So I can't make heads or tails from this. So I called around a couple places locally to put my VEPR on consignment since values have gone up on them. Figure since it's stritctly a home defense gun I'll trade down to another AK-12ga clone like the Saiga or other. One shop I call sounds very enthusiastic, straight up "hell yeah, bring it in!" It's got like 200 rounds put through it, it's basically in mint condition. Show up with one magazine and mention I have another one at home, wasn't sure if they even wanted more than one.

Thanks but no thanks.

Like if they had told me they didn't want it up front it's not like they would have hurt my feelings, but I don't understand why they would say bring it in and then decline to sell it. So I guess I'm wondering either what coded mistake I made or what they're looking for that I didn't realize. The fact that he seemed bothered I only had 2 mags makes me think that these dealers like to see them come in all kitted out and then part them out maybe? IDK... just seemed really weird.

Just want to make sure I approach this sale from the best possible angle single going into this clueless doesn't seem to be getting me in the right direction here. This is my first firearm sale.
If you want to consign it, just make the circuit of the usual black gun stores.

I would sell myself at the corner before I would let go of that Vepr 12....how much you want for it?

70a66f99117d5aaa05d1cab255dcb4ec.jpg

Are there any of those kinds of gun shops left anymore? I haven't seen a non-"tactical" local gun shop in at least a decade, maybe two.

There's one in Forest Grove that's pretty un-tactical. About the most modern-looking thing they had (last time I went) was a solitary, A1-style AR, amongst a sea of Mauser-pattern sporters. Dunno that they have an actual objection to modern rifles or if there's some other reason.

Private Party to FFL to same Private Party doesn't need a check. AFAIK

A BGC is required for transfers between private parties, not private party to FFL to same private party same as if you sent your gun back for warranty repair work. Just call whatever FFL you want to use what their policy is.
From BATFE:

How does a licensee handle the sale of a consignment firearm?
Firearms received for sale on consignment must be entered in the licensee's acquisition and disposition record. The sale of a consignment firearm is handled in the same manner as other firearm sales.​
Return of any consigned firearms by the licensee to the consignor must be entered in the licensee's disposition record. An ATF Form 4473 and a NICS check must be completed prior to the return of such firearms.​
[18 U.S.C. 923(g); 27 CFR 478.122, 478.123, 478.124 and 478.125]​
Last Reviewed April 12, 2022​

They were probably hoping you'd sell it to them outright and turn it into a gravy train aka flip it to make more bookoo than going the consignment route. Just my cynical outlook lol. Not much different than cars I've sold on my own, dealers love having cars sold to them vs consignment. It's funny because they make it sound like it's not worth their time to consign because of market conditions etc, but if you offer to sell it, then they come with open arms and all. Whichever works for you, I hope it turns out to be a positive experience.

OP, this wasn't MKR in G.H., was it? Or did you go up to Bremerton or down to Tacoma? Leaving reviews -- and this forum has a section specifically for that -- of your experiences with the area businesses is very helpful to the rest of the members here...

Lynx 12 (saiga 12 clone) is reliable with all kinds of ammo and very affordable. This one was $735 including everything shown (magpul grips,folding stock, gun itself, drum, handguard, muzzle brake, red dot). Wonderful gun, little $. They also have a left hand charging version with pic rail on dust cover for a few $ more. Rapid fire with that muzzle brake will have you giggling for more. :p

B0A778CF-16A8-4294-8F65-220CC72BB89A.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads