JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These are both headstamped 223 but the one on the left is obviously not a 223. I ran a bunch through the sizer that I picked up here and there and didn't notice anything odd at that time. I've found 2 so far, happens when I go to powder them. You guys, "real knowledge only please" have any ideas what it's all about?
20210417_153135.jpg

If the case length is the same, or very close, it looks like a wildcat in which the shoulder has been set back to lengthen the neck - possibly to better retain and align 80-90 grainers, VLDs or some other long .224 bullet.

Where are you guys seeing an Ackley case? All I see is a .222 case next to a .223/5.56 case. The funny neck on the triple-deuce is because it's been run through a .223 sizer.

I can re-create your photo with a couple cases in front of me on my desk.

IMG_1030[1].jpg

Where are you guys seeing an Ackley case? All I see is a .222 case next to a .223/5.56 case. The funny neck on the triple-deuce is because it's been run through a .223 sizer.

I can re-create your photo with a couple cases in front of me on my desk.

View attachment 864585
Ding Ding Ding! 222 brass: $$$ whereas 223 brass $ or $$. .223 brass + full length size + trimming away from unlimbering that Sako 222 from the safe and getting it back into action.

.222 Remington was the parent cartridge of the .223, which went on to become far more popular, with the .222 eventually all but dying out.

As po18 says, .223 brass is readily available and far cheaper, and it's a fairly easy conversion. You just have to run .223 brass through a .222 die, trim, and probably neck ream.

It is odd though, that someone went through the trouble of making .222 brass, and then left it lying on the ground.

And even curioser, the .204 Ruger is the 222 Magnum necked to 20 caliber. Talk about repurposing.
A friend of mine has a .222 Magnum that he inherited, along with dies. He just couldn't find brass. I found a couple boxes of .204 brass that I gave him to reform back into .222 mag!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR