Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Website exposing ALL CCW Personal Info in New York!!!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Chee-to, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

2. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Who cares? It's likely to reveal many anti-gun types actually have their permits.

3. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

If they are going to post this type of information then the state also needs to publish all state issued drivers license's, medical license's, trade license's, ect.

A few years ago a newspaper in the midwest did the same thing. Somehow a gun rights activist managed to locate the editor's and publishers name, address, and phone number. It was rather amusing that the editor and publisher cried foul and could not see the similarities.

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Funny, the owners of the site don't publish their information...

5. Nethiker

Nethiker Montana New Member

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The public's right to know does not outweigh an individuals right to privacy when that information can put that person at risk. This just seems like a bad guys easy pickings tool.

6. smithmax

smithmax here Member

It's not CCW, it's pistol purchase info. I guess that wouldn't be as scary of a thread title though.

7. gearhead

gearhead NC Active Member

personally, i don't see that it matters. the authorities already know who's carrying what, assuming it wasn't private sale. anyone other than the authorities who comes looking for trouble is going to find it, and if the authorities are coming to a residence to disarm someone based on a list of purchases, well....

8. Skybill

Skybill Vancouver, WA Member

And the database is accurate. I searched for my cousin, by last name, and bingo, there he is.

He is a parole officer. This could be very dangerous.

9. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

That info is more dangerous in New York than most states. I used to live in New York and so my info may be a bit out of date (It was 14 years ago).

My understanding is that every pistol is individually licensed in New York State. A pistol license is a CHL for that pistol and that pistol only. In other words, if you legally own a pistol in NY, you have a CHL to carry it. This database is essentially a list of every person who owns a handgun legally in that state.

10. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Sounds like a shopping list for criminals.

11. Greg

Greg NE PDX Active Member

Dyjital has it right. The reason I think this info should not be publicly available is because criminals will know which houses have valuable items that can easily be fenced(guns).

Take a second and imagine this: you're a criminal looking for houses to break into and there is a place on the internet that you could search to find who ownes diamonds. Does the public need for knowledge make it ok to publish that info?

12. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! They are trying to do it in Oregon too.:paranoid::paranoid:

13. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I plugged in the mayor and the police commissioner and neither came up, imagine that ...:bluelaugh:

14. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

You "shopping list for criminals" people really crack me up.

15. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Anybody who comes looking for trouble is going to find it?

How about if they show up at a time when my disabled wife is home alone?
    How about if they show up when the only "adult" in the house is the teenage babysitter?
    Supposing, and I know how crazy this must sound, but SUPPOSING they're prepared for an armed homeowner and a few of them blitzkrieg the house at 3:30 in the morning?

No offense, but I can't afford to be cavalier about crap like this.

16. yubariver

yubariver selkirk mountains Member

Lists with addresses could be used by violent ex-spouses to locate
    their ex.

This stuff is not cool at all.

17. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Or conversely, a way for criminals to know which homes and/or individuals can be targeted without fear of getting shot.

18. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

PokerAce, who is trying to publish gun ownership data in Oregon? where did you read that? I would like to read those articles and see what others reference them as foot notes.

19. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

Willamette Week and some other Oregon newspapers are trying to get CHL records from county sheriffs through public records requests. The sheriffs have all, so far, refused on the grounds discussed in this thread. It'll take a while to wind its way through the courts, and anything could happen.

20. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

It started with the newspaper in Medford and has been picked up by others.
    Do a search in this forum there was threads about it.

most all of the sheriff's sent a letter to all CHL holders asking if they wanted to be kept private. Go to this site it will tell you more.

http://www.co.yamhill.or.us/sheriff/documents/chl personal information.pdf