JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If they are going to post this type of information then the state also needs to publish all state issued drivers license's, medical license's, trade license's, ect.

A few years ago a newspaper in the midwest did the same thing. Somehow a gun rights activist managed to locate the editor's and publishers name, address, and phone number. It was rather amusing that the editor and publisher cried foul and could not see the similarities.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The public's right to know does not outweigh an individuals right to privacy when that information can put that person at risk. This just seems like a bad guys easy pickings tool.

personally, i don't see that it matters. the authorities already know who's carrying what, assuming it wasn't private sale. anyone other than the authorities who comes looking for trouble is going to find it, and if the authorities are coming to a residence to disarm someone based on a list of purchases, well....

That info is more dangerous in New York than most states. I used to live in New York and so my info may be a bit out of date (It was 14 years ago).

My understanding is that every pistol is individually licensed in New York State. A pistol license is a CHL for that pistol and that pistol only. In other words, if you legally own a pistol in NY, you have a CHL to carry it. This database is essentially a list of every person who owns a handgun legally in that state.

Dyjital has it right. The reason I think this info should not be publicly available is because criminals will know which houses have valuable items that can easily be fenced(guns).

Take a second and imagine this: you're a criminal looking for houses to break into and there is a place on the internet that you could search to find who ownes diamonds. Does the public need for knowledge make it ok to publish that info?

Anybody who comes looking for trouble is going to find it?

How about if they show up at a time when my disabled wife is home alone?
How about if they show up when the only "adult" in the house is the teenage babysitter?
Supposing, and I know how crazy this must sound, but SUPPOSING they're prepared for an armed homeowner and a few of them blitzkrieg the house at 3:30 in the morning?

No offense, but I can't afford to be cavalier about crap like this.

Anybody who comes looking for trouble is going to find it?

How about if they show up at a time when my disabled wife is home alone?
How about if they show up when the only "adult" in the house is the teenage babysitter?
Supposing, and I know how crazy this must sound, but SUPPOSING they're prepared for an armed homeowner and a few of them blitzkrieg the house at 3:30 in the morning?

No offense, but I can't afford to be cavalier about crap like this.

Lists with addresses could be used by violent ex-spouses to locate
their ex.

This stuff is not cool at all.

PokerAce, who is trying to publish gun ownership data in Oregon? where did you read that? I would like to read those articles and see what others reference them as foot notes.

Willamette Week and some other Oregon newspapers are trying to get CHL records from county sheriffs through public records requests. The sheriffs have all, so far, refused on the grounds discussed in this thread. It'll take a while to wind its way through the courts, and anything could happen.

PokerAce, who is trying to publish gun ownership data in Oregon? where did you read that? I would like to read those articles and see what others reference them as foot notes.

It started with the newspaper in Medford and has been picked up by others.
Do a search in this forum there was threads about it.

most all of the sheriff's sent a letter to all CHL holders asking if they wanted to be kept private. Go to this site it will tell you more.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads