JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired a Weaver K3 60-B scope that has a German #1 post reticle. This has a vertical post with two flanking horizontal posts and no crosshair. It is the same reticle used by German snipers in WWI and WWII. I haven't found any reference to this reticle being offered by Weaver. Does anyone know it this was a special order option offered by Weaver? If so, when was it offered? Thanks!

Not a special order that I know of - I sold one of mine last year for a pal to put on his Norinco 'baby' Mauser, where it looks great. I collect weaver scopes and do believe I paid about $50 for that one in Wheeler OR a few years back. This one should be marked El Paso TX, and is all-steel.

Here's a K4 on one of my Swiss rifles -

1612520874459.png

Please let me know if you would like to sell it - I have an already bubba'ed DSM that it would suit.

Last Edited:
It sounds like a good excuse to meet when you get to Oregon again! I hope that can be this year. My son is home from Berlin, Germany. He had been attending University via internet from his apartment, but determined that he could do that from home. This allows him to do other things, like shoot, instead of sitting around in an apartment going stir crazy!

This scope was bundled with a Kahles Wein H4x60 with the same reticle. The glass is in good shape, but unfortunately, someone has ground off the claw mounts on the Kahles, so to use it would require a windage adjustable mount like a Redfield Junior and bushings to reduce 30mm rings to just under 27mm.

I had to look at my old Weaver, it's a K4 -60b made in Texas and has the German reticle in it.

Edited to say on inspection it's a post and crosshair redicle

Last Edited:
I had to look at my old Weaver, it's a K4 -60b made in Texas and has the German reticle in it.

Edited to say on inspection it's a post and crosshair redicle

Nice. All mine, except for this 3-9 on a K31, are x4.

1612627542176.png
Better pic, maybe? Mount is courtesy of my friends in Kalispell MT - Swiss Products.
1612628226189.png
Twenty shots @100m
1612631516984.png

Last Edited:
This thread has got me thinking that I want to find a Savage 99 or something of that era to put the Weaver on. I did have it on my single shot 45-70 and then on my .270. It's a good scope that hold zero well I just need to find something vintage to put it on.

I never figured out how you would put a scope on a savage 99 - what with that odd-looking 'bent' receiver. TBH, I've never seen one with a scope - only Williams, Lyman or Redfield-type peeps.

IMO the El Paso weavers were the Deusenberg's of American optics. Bearing in mind that for just one measly one-C note you can pick up an all-steel, all-American scope of astounding quality - easily up there with German stuff of the same era, that is holding it's own today. The K31 is not a pussycat in the kicker department - that 174gr bullet at 2650 fps is mean at both ends for the careless holder. As an example, that 3-9x40 you see above cost me $45 a couple of years back in a little store not far from the border with the next state down from Oregon. I got three more Weaver scopes with it for a total of $105, including a rare 3/4" rimfire scope - WITH its Weaver mounts!

Last Edited:
The scope bases are a different height front and rear to accommodate the "bent" receiver. If you look for the 99's for sale you will see some with scopes. I bought this scope at the Roseburg gun show. it was in the bargain bin. I thought the reticle was cool so I bought it and have had it on a few different guns since.

The scope bases are a different height front and rear to accommodate the "bent" receiver. If you look for thee 99's for sale you will see some with scopes. I bought this scope at the Roseburg gun show. it was in the bargain bin. I thought the reticle was cool so I bought it and have had it on a few different guns since.

The next Savage Model 99 for sale here in UK will be the very first I've ever seen for sale. A pal of mine has one, but with a total lack of suitable bullets for reloading it correctly - it's in 30-30 win - he's having a hard time justifying ownership. It was made in 1903, and it's just beautiful.

The next Savage Model 99 for sale here in UK will be the very first I've ever seen for sale. A pal of mine has one, but with a total lack of suitable bullets for reloading it correctly - it's in 30-30 win - he's having a hard time justifying ownership. It was made in 1903, and it's just beautiful.

Can he just use pointed projectiles since the cartridges are stacked in a magazine?

Thank you
Thinking about getting that old weaver rebuilt and mounting it on a remington model 30 i recently purchased.

It looks like it uses .308 diameter bullets. With the rotary magazine, he can use spitzer bullets, and any weight between 140 and 180 grains should work well. .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm bullets fall into this range. :cool:

Are you sure it isn't chambered for .303 Savage? 30-30 cases can be resized to make .303 Savage, and reloads of these may be why someone thinks it is chambered for 30-30. Bullets for .303 Savage are .308 diameter, so you can't use .303 British bullets.

That caliber used round-nosed bullets, but remember, it was introduced in 1894, which is before spitzer bullets became popular! Original loading was 170 grain bullets, but so was the 30-30, and 150 grain bullets perform very well in the 30-30. There is always the Hornady 160 grain FTX plastic-tipped bullet, which is optimized for the same velocities.

Are you sure it isn't chambered for .303 Savage? 30-30 cases can be resized to make .303 Savage, and reloads of these may be why someone thinks it is chambered for 30-30. Bullets for .303 Savage are .308 diameter, so you can't use .303 British bullets.

That caliber used round-nosed bullets, but remember, it was introduced in 1894, which is before spitzer bullets became popular! Original loading was 170 grain bullets, but so was the 30-30, and 150 grain bullets perform very well in the 30-30. There is always the Hornady 160 grain FTX plastic-tipped bullet, which is optimized for the same velocities.
Well, let's put it this way. He's had the rifle about forty years now, and has always shot .30-30cal ammunition in it. He could be wrong. but I don't think so. He's been looking for the round-nosed bullets made by Nosler a while back - I got him some many moons ago in the US. Of course, Nosler bullets are not to be found here these days. :(

I did some research and found that Savage started offering the 1899 in 30-30 that same year. I had thought they were more resistant to offering competitor's calibers than that.

The .303 Savage case is fatter at the base than a 30-30, so it is not safe to fire them in a .303 Savage, and precludes using that brass. It appears that your friend is fortunate to have a rifle in a caliber that is common!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top