JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any first hand experience with the new Vanguard Series 2? I used to own a regular Vanguard in 7mm and it was a great shooting rifle, just really heavy. I sold it a few years back and wish I hadn't.

Now I'm looking at the new series 2 but it feels just as heavy but it now has a grippy stock on it. Is the quality still the same or is it a big improvement over the previous model?

In reality, i'm trying to compare it to a Remington 700 ADL that bi-mart has on sale right now and am debating which to get.

Thanks for any input you may have.

I have handled a few. I think the stock is a major improvement over the old Vanguard synthetic. But the real improvement, IMO, is the new 2 stage trigger. I have a Vanguard Varmint special and the tirgger was so bad I replaced it with a Timney. The new trigger is totally different, and I really like it. If I hadn't made a vow to buy American for my latest rifle, I would have seriously considered the new Vanguard S2. (Went with a new Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, at least mine was made in America when it was made!)

Weatherby rifle made in japan in same factory with HOWA. Create rifle for the price and have so much better trigger that 1st gen and accuracy Weatherby guarantee 0.99inch

Thanks for the input fellas! Still debating, my old vanguard was just a drag to carry through the woods all day, and that's what i'm worried about with the new Series 2. It's the reason I sold it in the first place, replaced it with a TC icon in .308, should of gone atleast .270 win. I sold that one because I wanted to go to a bigger caliber. Glad to hear quality hasn't dwindled.

Would you go Rem 700 ADL or Vanguard?

Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.

Tough call, but if you didn't like the weight of your old Vanguard, then the S2 may not be for you, either. I believe it is still about the same weight as previously, just a much improved stock and trigger. I kind of like the weight of my Howa for shooting off hand. And I don't think an extra 8 or 14 ounces should be a deal killer. If you are recoil sensitive, the Weatherby might be more comfortable to shoot than something lighter. I also like the 24" barrel of the Vanguard.

I've heard good things about the 7mm-08 as well, never shot it though. Nor have I shot the 7mm weatherby, If I could afford to shoot the expensive weatherby calibers I wouldn't mind having it. If the price/availability wasn't an issue wouldn't mind a .257 weatherby either.

I like that I can atleast find 7mm rem mag on the shelves and it can be readily found at any place that sells ammo. If I happen to forget my ammo I know any 'Ma and Pa' shop will probably have some in stock.

I've heard good things about the 7mm-08 as well, never shot it though. Nor have I shot the 7mm weatherby, If I could afford to shoot the expensive weatherby calibers I wouldn't mind having it. If the price/availability wasn't an issue wouldn't mind a .257 weatherby either.

I like that I can atleast find 7mm rem mag on the shelves and it can be readily found at any place that sells ammo. If I happen to forget my ammo I know any 'Ma and Pa' shop will probably have some in stock.
Pretty much sums it up. I got my s2 in 25-06 because the 257 is crazy expensive to shoot.

unless your going after moose or the big bruins, 7mm-08 should be all you ever need in these parts, a hand-loaders dream!
bullets from 120 grn to 160 grn, any bigger eats up powder capacity, but those 160's will dump an Elk no problem @ 300 yds
and less, I still use the ol 7x57 mauser with 160's @ 2400 fps. However the allure of the 7mm Rem Mag is captivating to some.
I did shoot the old Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag once , it kicked my @$$, I don't care for magnums, never have (that's just me)

Oh yeah; hunted Wyoming with a buddy who has a 257 Weatherby, he took a nice muley @ 340 yds with it, Devastating on animals !!!