JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can't argue with a 25-06. Wasn't, either. :s0155:

When we're talking Weatherby, we are meaning the Vanguard model which is neither heavy nor expensive. Bi Mart sells them every day for about $389 IIRC. Nice rifle - adjustable trigger, synthetic furniture, accurate, affordable. :s0155:

Can't argue with a 25-06. Wasn't, either. :s0155:

When we're talking Weatherby, we are meaning the Vanguard model which is neither heavy nor expensive. Bi Mart sells them every day for about $389 IIRC. Nice rifle - adjustable trigger, synthetic furniture, accurate, affordable. :s0155:

Where I live there is no such thing as a Bi Mart. We have Walmarts. I stopped at a local gun shop yesterday and he said I could get a new vangaurd from him for $404.99

I never thought about a Savage as I thought they are towards the bottom of the barrel in firearms. Am I wrong??

The Savage has positioned itself as a very good rifle for the money. I'd forgotten about that. They are well priced new. A lot of guys out here buy them. Ford, Chevy, Ford, Chevy... :)

I think Wal Mart will special order for you. Some Wal Marts carry guns and some don't. Around here ours do. You might ask what they'd do for you on price if you have one which stocks guns.

I'd still rather have a Ruger M77 or a Remington 700 BDL or even ADL used than any of the guns we're discussing if the price were similar.

For me new and budget, it would be the Weatherby Vanguard with the adjustable trigger and synthetic furniture. I'd be sure to see the target supplied to see how it grouped, although I don't think they sell a bad one.

I looked and our Bi Mart chain had those on sale two weekends ago for $359 and they do that pretty often. Every day price is $389. You might ask around.

Absolutely no logical reason at all, just my experience and love for Rugers. I have to wonder about the new Weatherby's...... Why can they all of a sudden sell a gun under their name for $400? Its either inferior to everything theyve ever made, which means you cant group them with the Weatherby or old, OR they are being made by someone else and rebadged, which means you really dont know what your getting.
Ruger. Never failed me.

Weatherby consolidated their offerings in the Vanguard line (Made by Howa in Japan - I've no problem with that) to get the volume up on the remaining models. They used the volume savings to bring the entry-level price down.

The Mark V models are now built in the US, in Paso Robles, CA. They have been built elsewhere in the past.

Bob

iirc howa makes a 25-06 they also make a youth pack. that has a adult stock and youth (both hogue) but it is only in .243,.308, and 7mm-08

Well there's a option!! I would like to thank all of you who have replied to this as this has been very help full. My wife say's I research thing to death before I buy. I think I have made up my mind on which rifle and I will have to work about 3 more Saturdays to get it. No I have to figure another thing out. Synthetic or wood?? But I will start another post for these. Thanks Guys!!

I love my .270 Win Ruger M77. (Tang safety model, not that it matters.)

I'd rather have a Ruger M77 used than a new Rem 700 or Weatherby Vanguard.

But, I am prejudiced... :)

I'd rather have a used Rem 700 BDL than a new Rem 700.

If I were on a tight budget, I'd go to Bi Mart and buy a new Weatherby Vanguard for under $400. I think they had them on sale this weekend for about $360.

Gunner, your a man after my own heart.... Ruger MK77 stainless/synthetic in .270. LOVE that gun. It has harvested a lot of meat in my years.:s0155:

I Will let you all know what I end up with. Being OT is available right now at work I will spend more $$$ and get a better fitting rifle. I am not saying I am ruling out the cheaper rifles but I am saying I will buy a rifle that fits me better. As of now the Ruger and Remington 700 fits better and the 700 has the edge. But I never even thought about a Savage or Howa

Zrt you're a Boeing guy too eh? I'm spending some OT money on a Weatherby Mark V myself (.270 WBY mag). I just worked two back to back 80 hour weeks in everett on a big test:)

Of course I'm getting the deal of a lifetime on a three year old rifle my dad bought and still hasn't fired....

Yeah, ya cain't teach the rest of these dummies anything

Manners?

Some might. Some might not. Some might say there was nothing deliberate about it. Adding a smile after making such a reference may not take away the lack either. It all depends on who reads it and what they take it to mean. I wasn't critisizing, just pointing it out.

I have all three and currently shoot the remington VTR and Weatherby Vanguard in MOA varmint. The Weatherby is my choice because of the MOA guarantee, if it doesn't shoot MOA with factory ammo you can return it and get a new one. It comes with target from factory. I prefer trigger at 2 lbs for hunting.

Zrt you're a Boeing guy too eh? I'm spending some OT money on a Weatherby Mark V myself (.270 WBY mag). I just worked two back to back 80 hour weeks in everett on a big test:)

Of course I'm getting the deal of a lifetime on a three year old rifle my dad bought and still hasn't fired....

No, I am not a Boeing guy but I am a machinsit and have been for 30 years. In the shop my saying is... If you can draw it I can build it!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top