JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reading all I can find on the 6.5-300 Wby Mag Mark V Accumark. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience shooting or loading for this relative new caliber and rifle. The ballistic data on the 130 gr. Scirocco is almost unbelievable. 3500 fps and more than 1000 ft/lbs energy at 800 yards! Every review and article I've read on this is 100% positive. I've searched this site and there has been little to no discussion. So, I figured, I'd start one. Thoughts? Experiences? Input?

I've read a lot of conjecture about it being a "barrel burner." But obviously from people who have not had fist hand experience. I haven't been able to find anything written by anyone who has had first had experience with this. Not saying it isn't, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate this.

I've read a lot of conjecture about it being a "barrel burner." But obviously from people who have not had fist hand experience. I haven't been able to find anything written by anyone who has had first had experience with this. Not saying it isn't, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate this.

depends on what your going to use it for. hunting once or twice a year, its going to outlive you. if your going to be shooting 100 rounds a week for a year though your going to be re barreling often.

Here's what I know first hand.

My son and his two buddies have them and LOVE them. They've taken several deer, hogs and javalina with them. I shot a whitetail buck, a hog and two javalina with my son's rifle in January down in Texas.
My buck ran about 50 yards, the hog and java's died in their tracks.

I wouldn't think twice about shooting an elk with one.

IMG_2650.jpg IMG_4567.jpg IMG_2810.jpg

As far as barrel life this is going to be a barrel burner. Look into barrel life on a 6.5x284 and than consider you're pushing even more powder through the same 6.5mm throat. That being said as was stated these rifles are designed to be hunting rifles which you will shoot maybe 20-30 rounds a year (especially at the price point on ammo) If you can afford to shoot out a barrel on a rifle like this you can afford to rebarrel it. I wouldn't be worried about barrel life as a hunting rifle. I also wouldn't considering using a chambering like this in a match rifle even of most matches wouldn't prohibit you due to their steel.

Its going to suffer the same effects as any overbore rifle cartridge. Big case, small hole, lots of powder = throat erosion. Like others have said, this rifle isnt a plinker that you will blazing away with. Shoot it slow and let the barrel cool between shots. Put enough ammo through it to verify your zero and stay familiar with it. I shoot a 257 Weatherby which is in the same boat. If I used a bore scope on it, Im sure id find evidence of throat erosion. But, its 7 years old and has fewer than 200 rounds through it without any accuracy loss.

My issue is the Mark V itself. Big strong action....yes. 9 mini locking lugs? Stupid.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top