JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who has a old Weatherby 300 Magnum Mark 5 that has barely ever been used. He is thinking that it was made back in the 60's. It is a really beautiful gun. I believe it had a Redfield scope on it. Does anyone have any idea what kind of value it would have? He is thinking of selling it, but I have no idea what a good starting point would be for him. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The rifle should be around the $700+ mark,but the 300wby mag is a tough one to sell (shoulders don't care for it).Some elk and bear(alaska) hunters like the caliber
I had a couple and everybody cringed after hearing it was a weatherby mag.

If it has any collector value,limited production or such,of coarse the value may be more.
The redfield scope doesn't add too much to a high quality rifle.It most likely be removed soon.

Kind of a bad time of year to sell rifles,but he can put it on here with a somewhat inflated price and he will find the value fast.:winkkiss:

The rifle should be around the $700+ mark,but the 300wby mag is a tough one to sell (shoulders don't care for it).Some elk and bear(alaska) hunters like the caliber
I had a couple and everybody cringed after hearing it was a weatherby mag.

If it has any collector value,limited production or such,of coarse the value may be more.
The redfield scope doesn't add too much to a high quality rifle.It most likely be removed soon.

Kind of a bad time of year to sell rifles,but he can put it on here with a somewhat inflated price and he will find the value fast.:winkkiss:

LOL. Thanks. I will let him know. I didn't have any idea on it. We will get some pictures and give it a shot.

Great cal. Hard hitting and flat shooting. I currently don't have one, have the big brother in .340 wby mag.

I didn't think the recoil was to bad in it.

Late 60's? should be a southgate assemble, action made by J. P. Sauer in West Germany under contract. Before they started having some made in Japan.

$700 should be about the going rate for that. Unless it's a factory custom with the engraving, Ivory inlay and deluxe wood.

You have to reload for this if you want to afford to shoot it.

The pictures actually don't really do it must justice. It is a very nice rifle. My friend has owned it for 25 years or so and put 15 round through it in that time. He got it from his brother in law who bought it brand new and didn't shoot it hardly at all. He bought it for a moose hunting trip that he never went on. It has just been a safe queen all it's life.

Yeah,maybe you should find a weatherby forum and ask them.

How much was it when he bought it? Probably around a grand?
If he paid more than a grand for it,it's probably one of their higher grade rifles and could fetch him more money

<broken link removed> is a good place.

I've a few Bees. I would think you should ask around 8-ish and be willing to take 7-ish. The scope gives you a bit of a premium since the package is "ready to go". You can get a little bit more, but, you'll be shipping and the like. The German manufactured models have a premium to the Japanese manufactured models, which would bring 650-ish.

That's a nice one. I have two. A Weatherby Mark V and an Interarms Mark X both in 300 WBY mag. I'm going to be selling my Interarms. I gave it a full hunter satin refinish and full glass bed. It doesn't have a scope on it though. I like my Weatherby better though the Mauser action of the Interarms is easier to remove the bolt from. Weatherby's tend to go for $700 up to about $1500 depending on caliber and condition.

I agree with the Weatherby forum idea.

Thanks guys. I posted on a couple of Weatherby forums. I was told that it was worth somewhere between $700-1300 without the scope. I posted it on here for $1250 as this one is in AMAZING condition. We'll see what happens. Thanks again everyone.

Just saw one at a shop up here that was one of the first Japanese made ones.So it was made after 1982(the year Wby switched),just a couple years older than yours,and the guy said Belgian made ones sold for more.
He had it at $1100+- It too was in near perfect condition.
You should be right in the ball park.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads