JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I drove by there last weekend. The roads up to the turnoff were clear, but there was a few inches of ice/snow on the actual trails. A decent 4x4 should be able to navigate it.

I have shot at this spot...

Google Map: 45.61896,-123.397365

It is right off 6. Right now there is a HUGE mound of rocks/dirt and there is targets posted. Approx. 1 mile west from the Browns Camp Turn off. Right off the highway.

Has anyone else shot here. I have gone there twice with no problems, but always felt on-edge/shady when I had been shooting there.

you should invest in a set of chains. If you really are hard up for $$, you can purchase them from one of the places that allows you to return them for full value if you don't use them. Also, if you're going off into the hills in the winter you should carry at a minimum; a few flares, blanket, water, and a long handled shovel.

A few friends were up there 4wheeling last saturday...they said there was close to a foot at the entrance off highway 6 and several feet up at the crushers...sounds like chains would be a must...

Sorry, could you explain what that is?

Also... any other input... chains/no chains?
(I currently do not own chains, i'm see'ing if I could wing it by just driving slow and careful)

It means tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back. Especially if you're just going to "wing it" with no chains. Driving slow and careful works fine when we get that dusting of snow here in Portland and everybody freaks out on the way home from work not so much when you get into the higher elevations. Be prepared!!!

I've driven full sized vans for years. They're terrible for traction. I would not go in there with out chains.

Same for pickups in 2WD. No weight in the back end. If I know a big snow is going to hit I put about 150 lbs of sand in the back end. You can get 75 lb bags of sand at Les Schwab pretty cheap. As a last resort I will put it in 4WD if things are really nasty.

I used 400 lbs. over the axles, studded snow tires, and still had to chain up a time or two.
I no longer have this truck, but I do have those studded snows here if you're interested. 95% tread left, mounted on 15" GM 5 on 5 wheels.

It means tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back. Especially if you're just going to "wing it" with no chains. Driving slow and careful works fine when we get that dusting of snow here in Portland and everybody freaks out on the way home from work not so much when you get into the higher elevations. Be prepared!!!

This is always a good idea, regardless of the season. I usually go shooting with my Brother but if i go alone i leave a note on my desk so someone will know were i went, when i left and plan to return, and most importantly what i took with me.

Also, going anywhere unprepared is irresponsible. If you drive, take what you think you'll need to walk back. I drive a full size 4X4 and would still throw my chains and shovel in the bed.

Have a safe trip and let us know how it was!

Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads