Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wearing my thigh rig for MKIII 22/45 Lite w/suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by bobschuckert, Sep 6, 2014.

1. bobschuckert

bobschuckert colorado Member

Here are PICs of me wearing my thigh rig for Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite with SS Sparrow. I will be adding a Bushnell TRS-25 this next week when it arrives.

This rig eliminates the holster pinching at the waist and eliminates problems with getting in or out of my auto or any chair. It is at the correct height for a fast and clean draw and I can thumb the safety off without awkward movements. If interested, see my other thread on how I built it. You will enjoy the comfort of this rig as I do. I ordered a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and a UTG QD mount. The mount is either for my MKIII 22/45 and/or SR-22 rifle. I'll let you know how they work out and offer PICs

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/b...-01-01wearingthighrig001_zps9b30f74d.jpg.html

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Bob where is your other thread on how you built it?? Also what do you mean by thumb the safety off without awkward movements?

3. OFADAN

Disregard I did a search and found it eventually.

4. bobschuckert

I am a left hand shooter and when a semi-auto is riding higher on the hip, it is harder for me to thumb the safety to the fire position. With the MKIII in the lower position, my thumb is right where the safety is located and I can thumb the safety lever much easier making for a faster response when firing off the draw.

5. bobschuckert

One of my greater concerns when I found that I would have to build my own drop leg, thigh, rig for a Ruger MKIII 22/45 with suppressor and red dot optics was the sturdiness of the strapping used in the construction. If it was too thin, it would pull the belt away from the trousers and it would not be stiff enough to support the holster properly. If it was too ridged or thick, it would not form a flat belt loop and would be harder to work with and remove from the holster if needed. I do not have an industrial sewing machine. When I was in Home Depot, I saw the 2" nylon work belt (with the needed hardware already on it) I found the answer to my problem. After running the belt through the Black Dog Holster belt loops, rearranging the hardware, and adjusting the unaltered belt to my upper thigh, I cut off the excess belt and melted the edges with a lighter. By wrapping the excess belt portion around the belt located between the belt loops on the holster and using a pinch clamp to hold the fabric layers together, I stitched the vertical strap to the leg strap. This further stiffened the leg strap (belt) at the holster belt loops keeping everything ridged. I then ran the other end of the excess belt up over the trouser belt and (using the pinch clamp) I pulled enough of the belt to custom fit the rig to my measurements. With the holster secured to my thigh, I looped the vertical strap around my trouser belt, clamped it in position, removed the rig, and stitched the loop. As you can see in the PICs, this rig is custom fitted to me and I can remove the thigh rig from the holster should I ever need to without damaging the strapping or the holster. This rig will support more weight than a 22 will place on a thigh rig. It is very sturdy but not too stiff which would cause discomfort. Because it is a custom fit, there isn't any excess strapping anywhere. And the thigh, drop leg, rig cost a wopping $3.97 plus tax.

6. OFADAN

Okay, so that we're both on the same page here...what I think you're telling me is this...while your handgun is still in the holster and once you've acquired a "Master Grip" with your strong hand and BEFORE you lift and level, index, and extend the pistol onto your threat/target you're turning off the safety or "thumb the safety lever"? In order words, you're taking off the safety while it is still in the holster prior to your presentation to the threat or target?

7. bobschuckert

Correct. I am more concerned with safety even though my finger is not on the trigger until I have the target acquired. I am a point or instinct shooter but my eyesight is such that I am trying out a TRS-25. I have had red dots on carbines but not on a pistol before. I am also on a tight budget. Hence, the Black Dog holster, $3.97 limit on the thigh rig, and the TRS-25 vs the Fastfire 3. If the TRS-25 does not work for me on the MKIII, it will go on my SR-22 rifle.

I am thinking of ordering the UTG single rail QD mount for the MKIII. I ordered the dual rail LE rated UTG QD mount for the 10/22 and, hopefully, it will fit below my Leupold 1.5x4 Firedot scope on the receiver rail on my SR-22 rifle (see PICs in other thread).

What I do not know is how the single rail QD mount will/would effect point of impact due to raising the red dot higher above the bore on the MKIII. The dual rail mount is way too high for the pistol. All this new stuff to learn in shooting a handgun. I do like the return to zero ability of the QD mount if I want to remove the red dot temporarily.